Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/index.php)
-   Blogs and Blogging (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Wordpress Vs Blogger (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37290)

MaxwellSmart 25th April 2011 08:02 PM

Get your own hosting account somewhere like Godaddy, BlueHost, HostGator, etc. and install the free version of WP. Then get a great theme like Thesis from DIYThemes.com.

KCasey 28th April 2011 10:11 AM

I couldn't agree more with everybody who has taken the Wordpress side on this debate - its probably a wee tad more difficult to use than Blogger but its also more versatile and, once you've got used to it, Wordpress seems light years ahead of Blogger.

I've tried other similair programmes when I've worked on back ends of websites before - such as Extron and Joomla - but Wordpress will always be my fave.

mhilliarda 28th April 2011 01:06 PM

Blogger is easy to use if you are just starting to blog. It is easy to navigate and is fairly basic. As you advance you will probably want to switch over to Wordpress. Wordpress has a really nice set of tools and plugins. It is better for someone that wants to customize.

georgechapman 1st May 2011 02:21 AM

I choose Wordpress out of convenience's sake. I've yet to try blogger though, but from the sites I've dealt with, WP seems to have the edge in customization tools and plugins.

SanWay 2nd May 2011 09:07 AM

I adore wordpress! it is simle to use and have all features I need so my choice is Wordpress!

wadeinni 3rd May 2011 02:42 PM

There's a saying that Google loves Google, and Google owns blogger. But that hasn't made blogger my choice of favorite blogging platforms. I prefer wordpress and always have. Even my joomla sites have a touch of wordpress, because it is the pinnacle of blogging tools, and there's so many options available for it, not to mention it's ease of use. I do use blogger however to get much of my content indexed faster. Once it's indexed I remove it so as not to produce external duplicate conetent.

jeffeyw723 4th May 2011 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MySmallBiz (Post 131834)
Which is better to use?

I use WordPress because for some reason GOOGLE loves Wordpress sites. Just be sure to create an effective site index.

WaspBarcode_B. 5th May 2011 09:14 AM

I've tried both; I used Blogger for a personal blog and we use Word Press for our business blog. Word Press is definitely the way to go - it's much easier to use, and adding basic formats like bulleted or numered lists is simple. Getting a post to look right in Blogger was always next to impossible, even working directly with the HTML code.

gaga 6th May 2011 12:51 AM

i want to know what is the biggest difference between the two.

jamesjohn09 9th June 2011 02:42 PM

Wordpress vs Blogger

Wordpress would be better but it is a little technical.If you use it a couple of times it will become handy.

WaspBarcode_B. 14th June 2011 09:10 AM

We love using WordPress for our small business blog, because of its robust set of plugins. There are plugins such as Digg-Digg to help your viewers share your great content as well as All-In-One SEO to increase its visibility in the search engines. No matter what you're trying to accomplish with your blog, there's likely a plugin to get the job done.

eleison 15th June 2011 12:55 PM

Wordpress is better if SEO is your concern. However, you need to have a standalone domain to be able to use the full functionality of this CMS. There are LOTS of helpful plugins, and the interface is generally easy to use.

I like Blogger for no-frills blogging, I don't even care much about hosting it on blogspot. :thumbsup2

Ebony2009rb 24th June 2011 05:24 AM

Wordpress

Quote:

Which is better to use?

Good question. I have been using WordPress for a couple of months now after becoming fed up with blogger. WP is so much more user friendly and versatile. It can though be quite technical in the outset. This is okay if you have time to search all the news, I actually bought this series of Webinars for $97 from

http://www.buildingwordpress.com

I never really buy anything but this has saved me months of time and I have built websites for other people using this very dynamic platform.
Hope this helps,
Kindly,
Tim

3Aces 1st July 2011 05:27 AM

As most ppl said over here...
1. Wordpress gives you (almost) complete control over your blog. You control the domain name, the hosting, the content, the layout and possibly everything else you can think of.
2. Wordpress has a wide range of solution programs in its plugins. For almost anything that you may need, there is almost always a plugin freely available.
4. Wordpress is great for SEO with its tags and stuff.
5. Wordpress blogs look so much like websites that the words "site" and "blog" is beginning to be used interchangeably.
6. If you have 10 dollars a month to spare you can have a great wp blog standing in a minute. If you just have $1.99 for a month's expense you can still have a blog up ... only you'll have to do the dirty work yourself and host on a free hosting.

Blogger:
1. FREE FREE FREE
2. EASY
3. CONVENIENT
4. LIKE A 2 MINUTE NOODLE - READY IN NO TIME BUT ALWAYS TASTES THE SAME.

In my view, blogger is for those who wish to actually blog without caring for a profit (you can still make a buck on it if your blog is good enough). Wordpress is for more serious and business minded bloggers. I would recommend WP any day.

nehadas87 13th July 2011 05:02 AM

Only you can judge what you need and which blogging solution would best fit that purpose. Each of these blogging services has their own pros and cons, but ultimately at the end of the day your blogs success rides on how well you market it, and how good your content is.

Regards...
Neha das

Ted GWL 21st July 2011 10:37 AM

I think your question is a little ambiguous. Are you asking about Blogger.com versus Wordpress.com? Or are you asking whether you are better off with a stand alone blog running Wordpress as a content management system?

If your question is Blogger.com vs. Wordpress.com then my answer without a doubt is Blogger.com. I know that opinion is contrary to what others have written. But, here is why.

You tend to see a lot more www.whatever.blogspot.com websites listed in the search results than you see from whateveryournameis.wordpress.com.

In fact, I hardly ever see a blog hosted on Wordpress.com actually ranking in the results at all. So I would take Blogger.com anyday. There are other reasons too that would be far to complicated to explain in this little thread comment.

On the otherhand, if you are aksing if you should use Blogger or a self hosted blog running Wordpress content management system, then my vote is 100% for the stand alone Wordpress blog.

Hope that all makes sense.

dancorkill 14th September 2011 05:52 PM

Wordpress on your own domain hands down.

If you spend time building links and traffic to yourbusiness.wordpress.com or yourbusiness.blogger.com, your account can be shut down at any time and there is virtually nothing you can do. You should always own your own domains and content.

kalyptra 21st September 2011 01:48 AM

wordpress

use both it's also fine

numeric 25th September 2011 08:34 PM

I like wordpress because it's more flexible in design.

I've worked on two websites already and re-engineered the websites. You can do your own designs and have a better aesthetic website compared to blogger. :)

Hampers 12th October 2011 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3Aces (Post 146215)
In my view, blogger is for those who wish to actually blog without caring for a profit (you can still make a buck on it if your blog is good enough). Wordpress is for more serious and business minded bloggers. I would recommend WP any day.

I agree, even though I love the clean beautiful simplicity of blogspot.

mumbi 11th November 2011 06:24 AM

wordpress is much better than blogger

pfowler21 13th November 2011 11:22 AM

Well for starters when using Wordpress software for your blogging needs, it gives the benefit of using your own domain.You can also download and install it yourself by visiting WordPress.org. Using Blogger.com is a great tool as well, but you will not have your own domain name. The name you choose will have blogger.com added to it. In my opinion when you are starting a business blog online, you need your own domain name. I do use Blogger.com myself, but I also have my own domain name blog too. Also, Blogger would be quicker to get up and running as well. You pretty much just plug in your information in the selected fields, choose a look and field and publish your blog right away. There are many advantages and disadvantages to both. Hope this helps some.

danieldavis 9th December 2011 11:38 AM

Hi everyone.
I think blogger is very good and easy where you can make your own blog i am working on blogger and i have many benefits with blog so i suggest you if you have no experience so start with blog..

sbsl 15th December 2011 06:20 AM

i posting my blogs to both. but blogger is easy to use and i like it most.

Yomi 3rd July 2012 01:59 AM

Using Blogger actually has some search engine benefits. Because it is owned by Google you actually get indexed much faster. I think it is within 24hrs if you ping your posts. The downfall to blogger is you don't have control over your content. Google can decide to shut the doors down on Blogger and you are toast!

Wordpress on the other had is more flexible. As many of you have seen some worpdress sites don't even look like blogs. You can do a lot of things with wordpress like setup eCommerce sites, directories, membership sites, review sites, and the list can go on and on.

Both have pros and cons however if you look at what you can do with Wordpress it will soon become a no brainer to you.

bertbill 18th July 2012 10:48 AM

WordPress for sure as it is easy to mange and have interference that is user friendly have amazing plugins.

Marco Holmes 20th July 2012 02:05 AM

I cast my vote for the obvious winner...Wordpress but next year will be an entirely different ballgame...

Seo Innovations 14th September 2016 03:45 PM

Wordpress is the best

Wordpress dominates all other options. It takes awhile to learn it. Its not very easy either thats what keeps alot of people away from using it.
But just like anything in life you have to put your time in.

geeksonrepair 7th October 2016 02:36 AM

Wordpress is better then blogger .Wordpress has many free features and plugins for build a Good website or blog

Williams Reus 7th October 2016 08:57 PM

Quote:

Which is better to use?

I think wordpress is better because it has the great support tools can help us write a simple blog and professional

dannbarbery 23rd October 2016 06:48 AM

Both are okay but in terms of getting more professional I guess you need to choose Wordpress but it requires skills if you want to improve the layout and all. On the other hand, Blogger also is okay as it is more user friendly.

blazerod 23rd October 2016 07:52 PM

For me, Wordpress because it has better features. But Blogger is easier to use.

Vanessa Morgan 24th October 2016 07:21 AM

Definitely WordPress. I've used both before so I know what I'm saying lol

Exabeesg 26th October 2016 09:19 PM

Wordpress is better

With WordPress, you use a WordPress hosting provider to host your own site. You are free to decide how long you want to run it and when you want to shut it down. You own all your data, and you control what information you share with any third party.

jannatul18 31st October 2016 06:03 AM

Its better to use Wordpress as it has more features than Blogspot! Me personally using wordpress.

janejane 2nd November 2016 04:43 AM

Wordpress. I think it is more interesting and fun to work with because of a lot of different plugins.

teresahurst 3rd November 2016 06:42 AM

i also would recommend wordpress..i had good and useful plugins..
it is user-friendly..

geeksonrepair 4th November 2016 12:52 AM

Word press is better to use as compare to blogger.
1) It is an Open Source software.you can easily extend it to add new features.
2) You can use various free plugins and themes.
3) Using WordPress, you can move your site anywhere you want like new domain, new host
4) Word press has more secure as compare to blogger.

Norberto 17th December 2016 03:08 PM

From what I have experienced myself I can tell that using blogger made me learn hard way how much you are dependant on allmighty google (which has no customer support whatsoever). That cofirms the old truth that what is cheap becomes expensive anyway. The blogger platform is not free of bugs and they are not being repaired as quickly as you could get if you used any paid service.

If I were to start blogging again I would probably set up my own hosting and learn how to operate my own Wordpress instance which wuld make me independent someway.

robert_mann 22nd December 2016 12:30 PM

Quote:

Which is better to use?

I didn't go down through your post but I am quite sure most of us love WordPress a lot. Blogger-- boring themes, not so many widgets, plugins, options etc. But in WordPress we have everything. My my opinion is different. I like Blogger. The main reason is you have to learn in blogger if you want to go ahead. And everything is ready in WordPress. I had to learn HTML, CSS, Java to build my photography website in Blogger platform. But I can do everything in WordPress without learning a bit. That's why I like Blogger.