Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/index.php)
-   Search Engine Optimization (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   SEO Updates Of 2009 (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27740)

MRchamps 17th August 2009 06:30 AM

SEO Updates Of 2009

Some of the major SEO Updates that took place this year are

1)Google improves flash indexing
2)Canonical link element
3)PR and backlink updates
4)Search refinements ans snippets
5)Google show options
6)The launch of Microsoft bing
7)No more pagerank sculpting
8)Google webmaster update-summershine
9)Google caffeine

These updates are discussed in detail in SEO Updates

Logan 18th August 2009 06:55 PM

I agree regarding flash, but my thoughts after meeting someone who manages a top brand site that is flashed based. Even though google has made improvements with indexing, most flash sites when they were developed were not created with the search engines in mind. Because of this, even though google may be improving things doesn't mean the sites were developed with search in mind. Typically they weren't, based on my experiences.

acwebguru 20th August 2009 01:40 AM

You have nicely presented those facts which made huge uproars in the search engine optimization industry. I think Canonical issue is the best update because it was the result of the joint endeavor by all three major search engines.

juliasmith 21st August 2009 02:30 AM

Thanx for posting

sytun 21st August 2009 05:17 AM

What is pagerank sculpting?

MRchamps 21st August 2009 05:47 AM

Each time you link to a page, you are voting for that page and passing on PageRank, even if you are linking to an internal page in your website. So, it is important not to pass PageRank to unimportant pages of your website.
By structuring the links on your pages, you can have influence on how the PR is spread on your site. This is called Page Rank Sculpting.
Search engine optimization professionals started using the nofollow attribute to control the flow of PageRank within a website. This practice is known as PageRank sculpting.
PageRank sculpting is an SEO tactic that involves adding the nofollow attribute to links for which PageRank flow is not necessary

imsmall 21st August 2009 07:58 AM

Google "Caffeine" will make SEO harder?

Logan 21st August 2009 11:12 AM

I don't think so imsmall. My understanding based on the research I've done of it is that Caffeine has little/nothing to do with the algorithm (the formula used to rank pages) but instead the infustructure/file system google runs on. In the long run, this may mean they can do different things ... but currently that is not a concern I have.

megri 22nd August 2009 07:02 AM

I like Google caffeine, it has good keyword ranking for my websites

SBMarketingGuy 22nd August 2009 03:17 PM

Google's Caffeine update will not make SEO harder. It will only penalize those who use blackhat and unethical techniques. If your website has relevant content to the search terms you are attempting to rank for, then you will not be hurt by Caffeine or any future updates. Remember, the goal of Google is to deliver the most relevant results for any given search. So concentrate on content, white hat back linking and website promotion, and you will never have to fret over any search engine update.