Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Offline Marketing (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Need marketing ideas for a small furniture store (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13791)

dbowsher 3rd September 2007 12:09 PM

I am looking for some marketing ideas for a small furniture store, cheap! Anyone?

zoobie 3rd September 2007 09:35 PM

Hi and :welcome:

First, I'll ask you if you have your own workers who make the furniture. Do you design it your self?

You can start promoting it to your location. Best of luck!

mktgbiz 4th September 2007 07:35 PM

Well, if you got some elbow grease here's what you do:

1). Email every friend, family member, co-worker, past co-worker, college pals, blah blah 3 times over the next month introducing your company.

2). Create some flyers on your computer. Be sure you offer a special or a freebie for coming into your store. Nobody gets excited about 10% off. Be sure to put your name and contact information at the bottom of the flyer.
Go to Office Depot run off 1000 copies and go distribute them to area businesses. Just walk in and drop them off.

3). Call area apartment communities and ask them if you can buy donuts and coffee for their next managers/leasing agents meeting in exchange for leaving some flyers.

So far you're out about $50.00

4). Prepare a press release and send it out via email to local media - tv, radio, newspaper, etc.

5). List a classified ad on eBay. Costs $9.95 for 30 days. You can list your contact information. It's a beautiful thing.

Under $100. Howz that?

-

3genconsulting 20th October 2007 01:07 AM

response

wow, guerilla marketing at it's best. You just got your word out to over 1,200 potential customers for around $100. I couldn't have said it better myself, great post.

gunther_arneson 20th October 2007 01:35 AM

Advertising furniture store...

CraigsList.org is also a good way to get the word out.

Logan 21st October 2007 12:20 PM

Yep, good ideas from mktbiz. I'd also issue coupons (w/ codes so you can track) via word of mouth, in store and/or on your website. Provide a discount for the customer using the coupon code.

gunther_arneson 3rd November 2007 10:46 PM

furniture store...

I would also get your satisfied customers to give testimonials online.

TradeShowGuru 5th November 2007 11:54 AM

I agree with online reviews and freebies!

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunther_arneson (Post 56087)
I would also get your satisfied customers to give testimonials online.

Absolutely! I recently went to the ecom expo (an online tradeshow dedicated to online promotion and marketing) and my coworkers and I watched a great speaker who talked about how much it helps to put online reviews on your site because people buy based on what others say.

And I agree with freebies as well. Everyone loves free stuff. If you offer them something useful, that they will re-use (like a tote bag) they'll be glad to get it.

For a furniture store, I'd suggest an inexpensive tape measure. It relates to your business and it's a handy item that they'll keep in the house. If they're interested in buying a new couch, the first step would be to measure it. So why not give them something to do that and add your logo to it.

Sarah

pete 5th November 2007 12:44 PM

Have a "going out of business sale". It seems that's something they do around here every weekend.

I may be out of date, but I just don't see furniture buying as an online thing. I'd concentrate on newspaper, local TV and radio, etc.

"No payments until after you're dead!". some of that sort of stuff.

Also "We're moving, come in now and save!" (Before we move that red sofa to the other corner.)

This stuff must work, they just keep doing it each week.

One thing you could do online is have a credit application so they could be "Pre-approved when you walk in the door!"

lithos 5th November 2007 02:33 PM

One thing I would do is contact interior decorators and people in the real estate staging business. Interior decorators and the people who hire them are not generally buying on price alone. Interior decorators sell service and "class" their clients have already boughten in to that mindset. Offer a discount to the decorators and their clients. As for real estate staging you could offer "display" furniture for the staged house that could be purchased with the house. Most people who buy a new home buy "stuff" to go with it. If the staging isn't their style they will probably still visit your store to look for the perfect fit. You could offer a coupon through real estate agents as well. You might even find a real estate agent who wants to give a free piece of furniture (from your store) for using them to close a deal. You could ive a discount for them, while sharing in the results of thir advertising and work. All of this requires you negotiate your name being displayed with the items and possibly in their advertising.

Just one of countless angles. Mktgbiz had many great cheap ideas as well.

Good Luck