Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/index.php)
-   Link Development (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   A Local Business - Is SEO Important (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63399)

Aduke 3rd April 2014 10:19 AM

A Local Business - Is SEO Important

I run a small bakery and would like to build my online presence. At the moment I'm busy setting up the business itself, but the agency who is building my website has offered me addition content marketing services.

They have recommended - content creation for a blog and then sharing that blog and trying to get different versions of the blogs onto other sites that talk about my industry.

Is this worth my money, considering I am a pretty small business? It would be nice to have a blog and have a reputable website to boot, but I'm not sure how it would bring in more business for me.

Can someone explain a bit more about it to me please?

Thanks

Aduke

Jen 100 11th April 2014 09:40 AM

Yes, SEO is important. Even though you're small and, I assume, only have 1 location, you want people in your area to find you when they do an internet search for bakeries.

However, I think the bigger question here is about a blog for a small bakery. Not every business needs, or should have, a blog so you are right to question if it's beneficial for you. It sounds like the agency you're working with wants to maintain and write the content for you. I always think it's best if you write the content yourself, you are after all the expert in all things bakery and they are the expert in SEO. You are more likely to provide expert content about your industry. They can edit the content, make sure there are appropriate keywords etc. but I recommend that if you do decide to have a blog that you and a few trusted employees be the main writers.

mindfires 14th April 2014 02:46 AM

If you are looking to tap the online arena, you definitely need to focus on SEO as, this is something which will help you promote your product/service in the local market. Also as others have mentioned before, adding yourself to Yellow pages and other directory lists will help your business get more and more customers. Blogs can be a very good idea but, at present you can go ahead with blog commenting rather than a new blog roll out.

So, the whole idea is to optimize your website first and when you have sufficient business/customers, think of generating good content for them. Once you start getting customers, you can ask them to drop in their e-mail id with you so that when you think of a major step like blog/newsletter/email campaigns, you will have your own set of customer database with you.

Hope this helps!

iggypop407 17th April 2014 11:10 AM

I would say yes it is worth it, being known online within your community adds more validity to your business which can bring more sales.

patriciakramer 17th May 2014 07:58 AM

Its very important link development in seo because of this very useful used social networking sites...

MarketingDoctor 17th May 2014 04:40 PM

Make your focus LOCAL. That means WORD OF MOUTH SHARING

You say that yours is a small bakery. That implies local focus freshly-baked bread and pastries, cakes and cookies, etc, baked right there on the premises.

Bakeries are ALL about the customer experience the sights, sounds, smells, tastes (especially the tastes and smells!)

Why wait for prospects to wander online and search for local bakeries? Instead, build on that all-important customer experience and get them sharing the good news and how they feel about it and you with their friends?

Set up a facebook page for your business and encourage visitors to your page to join your facebook group in order to receive special offers and members-only deals.

Facebook pages really only promote likes and by facebook's own admission, no more than 16% of your "likers" will receive your notifications. But all of your facebook group members receive notifications from you. It's a quick, easy and FREE way to have your own membership system!

Build yourself a customer loyalty program, too. Reward regular, repeat BUYERS and SHARERS with extras (discounts are dangerous value adding is much better and more profitable).

Most of all, focus on giving the best possible customer experience every time they come into your store.

That kind of emotional bonding and sharing of how they feel about you and your products and the total experience will far outperform any amount of expensive, ever-changing SEO. And the ROI will be fast, measurable and profitable. :D

Once you feel in control of your facebook group and page, think about Pinterest for lead generation and promotion. Photos of delicious cakes and pastries, desserts, etc, all superbly presented, cast a powerful emotional appeal without words. People can almost smell and taste them, and will share your photos happily.

You can then think about a mobile app a simple one, with push notifications for sending special offers on quiet days, just before lunch time or dinner time as the next step in your promotional and customer fulfilment system.

Share recipes and presentation ideas, last-minute tips and instructions for kids' party snacks, etc etc etc your facebook page, group and Pinterest account are perfect, fast-response, widely shared ways to promote limited-time offers and keep your business top-of-mind with your target audience.

Hope this helps. :wave2:

DennisChang 18th May 2014 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarketingDoctor (Post 211328)
You say that yours is a small bakery. That implies local focus freshly-baked bread and pastries, cakes and cookies, etc, baked right there on the premises.

Bakeries are ALL about the customer experience the sights, sounds, smells, tastes (especially the tastes and smells!)

Why wait for prospects to wander online and search for local bakeries? Instead, build on that all-important customer experience and get them sharing the good news and how they feel about it and you with their friends?

Set up a facebook page for your business and encourage visitors to your page to join your facebook group in order to receive special offers and members-only deals.

Facebook pages really only promote likes and by facebook's own admission, no more than 16% of your "likers" will receive your notifications. But all of your facebook group members receive notifications from you. It's a quick, easy and FREE way to have your own membership system!

Build yourself a customer loyalty program, too. Reward regular, repeat BUYERS and SHARERS with extras (discounts are dangerous value adding is much better and more profitable).

Most of all, focus on giving the best possible customer experience every time they come into your store.

That kind of emotional bonding and sharing of how they feel about you and your products and the total experience will far outperform any amount of expensive, ever-changing SEO. And the ROI will be fast, measurable and profitable. :D

Once you feel in control of your facebook group and page, think about Pinterest for lead generation and promotion. Photos of delicious cakes and pastries, desserts, etc, all superbly presented, cast a powerful emotional appeal without words. People can almost smell and taste them, and will share your photos happily.

You can then think about a mobile app a simple one, with push notifications for sending special offers on quiet days, just before lunch time or dinner time as the next step in your promotional and customer fulfilment system.

Share recipes and presentation ideas, last-minute tips and instructions for kids' party snacks, etc etc etc your facebook page, group and Pinterest account are perfect, fast-response, widely shared ways to promote limited-time offers and keep your business top-of-mind with your target audience.

Hope this helps. :wave2:

Good advice. I agree with building up facebook page/group to enhance the engagement with local customers/community, rather than using SEO to try to rank higher up in search engine results for keywords that are probably competed by thousands of other bakeries.

But I don't quite agree with creating mobile apps for your bakery. There are hundreds of thousands of Apps around the world, and who really want to have an extra mobile App on their handphone that does nothing but feed them notification about this particular bakery?

MarketingDoctor 19th May 2014 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DennisChang (Post 211344)
Good advice. I agree with building up facebook page/group to enhance the engagement with local customers/community, rather than using SEO to try to rank higher up in search engine results for keywords that are probably competed by thousands of other bakeries.

But I don't quite agree with creating mobile apps for your bakery. There are hundreds of thousands of Apps around the world, and who really want to have an extra mobile App on their handphone that does nothing but feed them notification about this particular bakery?

Dennis, you're making assumptions here that are not necessarily relevant.

An app that does nothing but send notifications is pointless. You can use push notifications these days very cheaply without having an app at all.

But an app that's specific to a local area, with regular daily specials and offers, such as cakes for special occasions, or hot snacks on cold winter days, with online ordering and payment, properly presented to customers in the first place, and connected to a facebook group, is more likely to be downloaded and used, especially if you build a low-maintenance community around it.

DennisChang 19th May 2014 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarketingDoctor (Post 211354)
Dennis, you're making assumptions here that are not necessarily relevant.

An app that does nothing but send notifications is pointless. You can use push notifications these days very cheaply without having an app at all.

But an app that's specific to a local area, with regular daily specials and offers, such as cakes for special occasions, or hot snacks on cold winter days, with online ordering and payment, properly presented to customers in the first place, and connected to a facebook group, is more likely to be downloaded and used, especially if you build a low-maintenance community around it.

I am not sure about others, but I would not download an App "that's specific to a local area, with regular daily specials and offers, such as cakes for special occasions, or hot snacks on cold winter days, with online ordering and payment".

I mean, my mobile phone is already filled with Apps like games, social media (facebook, linkedIn, Instagram, etc), plus many other utility apps. So I am less likely to download an App for a local bakery, or local IT store, or local Fashion shop, or any of the hundreds of local small shops to clutter my little mobile phone screen.

Maybe it is just me. :)

georgina.thomp 21st May 2014 10:32 AM

I would say yes because you still want to rank highly and attract customers in your local area. Facebook could be a great way of promoting your business, so get your friends and family involved, start sharing pictures with your subscribers, even run a competition; before you know it, you will have created a huge buzz about your company! In terms of content writing, I think there are benefits to writing your own content but the same can be said for using agencies who do this for you. I've used some great agencies in the past who have written content I could never have dreamed of writing! Obviously you are an expert in what you do, but so are content writers. You'll be amazed at what they can come up with.