Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/index.php)
-   Search Engine Optimization (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   SEO Top 10 Check List (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23629)

indieswal 20th November 2008 02:04 PM

SEO Top 10 Check List

There are a lot of activities that seem to fall under SEO, which of those activities are your top 10 must do SEO activities for a business that is just starting out?

Grey Moth 20th November 2008 05:14 PM

Okay here is a quick go:

1. Do your keyword research, ranking is only worth something if people search on that term. Then spread these terms across pages on your website. so say you pick 12 search terms you want to rank on, make usre you have a page for each of these.
2. Make sure the site is SEO friendly, so not built in flash, not behind a login.
3. Make sure it is very obvious what the site is about.
4. Make sure you have clear conversion goals.
5. Make sure the terms you want to optimise for are at the being in of yout title tags, in H1 tags and again somewhere in the text.
6. Add to your site to google maps (using the search terms in the title and description) then gets some reviews written by friends.
7. Add google analytics to your site.
8. Build a blog or some way to reguallry add content to your site.
9. Sort out your internal linking (link to the internal pages using the search terms you want to rank the page on in the anchor text)
10. Start the link building process, submit to directories, write guest posts, publish article so on. Get lots of links back to your site.

bdorland 28th November 2008 05:17 PM

Writing high-quality, buyer-focused content that contains your target keywords is by far the most important SEO technique. It's also the most important piece of your website strategy. Without great content, your website may not convert any amount of traffic.

acwebguru 1st December 2008 06:07 AM

1. Original Content
2. Keyword Stuffing
3. Search Engine Submission
4. Social Bookmarking
5. Blog Commenting
6. RSS feed Submission
7. Link Exchange
8. Forum Posting
9. Directory Submission
10. Press Release Submission

urvi88 27th April 2009 06:56 AM

Directory submission, keyword submission, blog commenting, blog posting, social bookmarking are the proper SEO activities.

homebizseo.com 28th April 2009 06:23 AM

Content
Targeted Title tags
Use of Bold
Meta Dat
ALT Tags
Backlinks blog commenting with a keyword anchor

ted bailey 28th April 2009 09:32 AM

I would agree that this list is a good starting point. I would add, that it is necessary to continue to learn about SEO. I feel that it is always changing and you need to just take 10 - 15 min a day to learn what the search engines are doing lately.

sahota 28th April 2009 10:06 AM

While it is necessary to get SEO rankings and optimize your website. But at same time you should also try to find out what other ways are there to drive traffic to your products. Its always best to put your eggs in more than one basket.

Even though this thread is related to SEO but I would suggest you do atleast following to minimum:

1. Build partnerships with other websites to host your products on their websites. Like say if you run online shop which sells some goods, best to host your products on some comparison engines and other websites which sell products. e.g. eBAY and other similar websites.

2. Optimize Images not just pages so that you get little bit extra traffic.
3. Add your products to Google Products.
4. If you target local residents of a particular town then do use other traditional methods also to get traffic.

Also I guess nobody mentioned about Google Webmaster Tools are important in SEO activities. So get your website registerred with Google Webmaster Tools, with some time it will tell you about backlinks to your website and also any issues such as broken links to your website. All this will also add to better visibility in google if taken care properly. Also submit sitemap using webmaster tools. I have seen that Google indexes pages quickly if sitemap is submitted using Google Web Master tool.

elsoft 1st May 2009 09:11 AM

For someone to be good at SEo.Is it necessary that one should formally train reading books,attending classes ,etc?

janicejan 3rd May 2009 06:28 AM

forget about the top ten, lets get ahead on the first spot, for me converting traffic into sales or leads is my main target.

Bestone 29th July 2009 07:04 AM

According to me original content with keywords,social bookmarking, blog commenting,link exchange,forum posting,directory submission are major SEO techniques

royhunters 29th July 2009 10:38 PM

Something often overlooked is bookmarks in delicious.com I dont know what it is but this is such a simple thing that most people dont try to do. it REALLY does work wonders for page rank and page rank boosts you in the SERP's.

wilsonmark01 30th July 2009 07:19 AM

Organic and Inorganic SEO

Hi..

We should think about Inorganic SEO also...
It is also very much effective to generate traffic to your website...

williamssara88 31st July 2009 08:28 AM

To my mind track your traffic using google analytics. and find the main traffics source except google. if your site get good traffics from blog then concentrate on blog posting. this kind of analysis would help to get ranking as well as ranking.

Thanks

veronica 5th August 2009 12:37 AM

I agree with what has been posted so far but I will contribute my top ten list for what it's worth -

1. Keyword Research
2. Content Creation
3. Keep Content & Design separate
4. Relevant Link Building
5. Build Relationships
6. Comparison Shopping Engines (Google Base is FREE)
7. Press Releases (use a service that allows links such as PR Web)
8. Analyze Your Site & Competitors (analytics,web master tools,site explorer,etc...)
9. Blog - yours and others
10. Repeat all of the above (yes, SEO is a repetitive process)

webbyweb 10th August 2009 08:03 AM

this is a useful thread as many effective and useful answers are posted in reply to this thread.
Great information... thanks for sharing

spookycc 11th August 2009 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilsonmark01 (Post 98200)
Hi..

We should think about Inorganic SEO also...
It is also very much effective to generate traffic to your website...

Here are a few inorganic SEO tips:

How do you get links?

Get yourself listed in many of the free or low-cost business directories, such as Merchant Circle, Xing, and Yelp.

Words of caution: Many of these sites allow customers to rate the vendor. If you use this method, you will need to monitor and manage your listing to address any negative feedback your business receives.

Look for your industry's online directories and add yourself to those. For instance, UmeWorks is listed with online website designer directories.

DMOZ Open Directory Project is the largest, most comprehensive human-edited directory of the Web. Inclusion is not guaranteed and it takes a while to get listed, but Dmoz listings are provided to AOL, Google, and other websites directories and portals.

Is your business heavily reliant on local geographic customers? Be sure to use location directories like CitySearch.com, Yahoo Local Business, online Yellow Pages.

Take advantage of business and social network sites. Sign up and create a profile for yourself, and include the name of your business and a link to your website in LinkedIn, Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, Plaxo, etc.

Add a call-to-action video at high traffic sites like YouTube. Get folks interested and send them to your site to learn more. Better yet: syndicate your video for many high-valued links to your site - because video links are given higher priority by search engines. Contact UmeWorks now to add a video commercial to your site now for only $799. And we can syndicate it for you too for more high-valued incoming links to your site.

Join a chamber of commerce and business networking groups who have online directories for their members.

Request links to your site from related businesses and organizations

Colleen

tazsolutions 12th August 2009 01:15 PM

1. Do proper keyword research
2. Use header tags
3. Use italics and underlining to further emphasize your keywords.
4. Use proper keyword usage
5. Have a smart navigation structure
6. Use contextual links
7. Get as many high quality links as you can
8. Encourage visitor interaction: create some polls, reach for feedback, anything you can to involve your visitors.
9. Update content regularly: No one likes a stale site, keep it fresh
10. Branch out

lunartcorp 12th August 2009 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acwebguru (Post 83936)
1. Original Content
2. Keyword Stuffing
3. Search Engine Submission
4. Social Bookmarking
5. Blog Commenting
6. RSS feed Submission
7. Link Exchange
8. Forum Posting
9. Directory Submission
10. Press Release Submission

I like this sequence!

FrankPinch 16th August 2009 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grey Moth (Post 83359)
7. Add google analytics to your site.

Maybe I missed something, but how will this help?

rhino1 20th August 2009 05:37 AM

Great... some of the posts are pretty helpful. Especially for me, I have really learnt a lot about SEO process from all these posts.

defender777 8th September 2009 01:14 AM

@Pamila
you top ten list is really great!

kolsols 14th September 2009 04:34 AM

thanks all for sharing so much useful information.

gervaisgroup 15th September 2009 02:14 PM

Seo

Fresh content, update it regularly. Distribute articles, news and press releases, and be sure to include a link to your site (anchor text is allowed).

andrasan 17th September 2009 06:51 AM

Such a informative thread. Social networking site are good platform for promote your blog r website.

askdmatthews 17th September 2009 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankPinch (Post 99116)
Maybe I missed something, but how will this help?

I think he was just referring to setting up some form of tracking. Of course just installing it won't do you much good unless of course you use it.

For those of you new to SEO and online marketing in general, I can't recommend it enough that you track everything. Google analytics is free and pretty simple to get setup. It might take a little extra time on your part, but it will payoff huge as your business/website grows. Track the results from your daily marketing activities; dump the ones that don't produce and focus on those things that get results.

mans123 25th September 2009 01:54 AM

@Pamila...
great list...All the things are quite important and you have well placed them in your check list

DebraE 25th September 2009 06:49 PM

great thread, i am just wondering what h1/h2 tags are?

Ethingamajigs 25th September 2009 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spookycc (Post 98811)
Here are a few inorganic SEO tips:

How do you get links?

Get yourself listed in many of the free or low-cost business directories, such as Merchant Circle, Xing, and Yelp.

Words of caution: Many of these sites allow customers to rate the vendor. If you use this method, you will need to monitor and manage your listing to address any negative feedback your business receives.

Look for your industry's online directories and add yourself to those. For instance, UmeWorks is listed with online website designer directories.

DMOZ Open Directory Project is the largest, most comprehensive human-edited directory of the Web. Inclusion is not guaranteed and it takes a while to get listed, but Dmoz listings are provided to AOL, Google, and other websites directories and portals.

Is your business heavily reliant on local geographic customers? Be sure to use location directories like CitySearch.com, Yahoo Local Business, online Yellow Pages.

Take advantage of business and social network sites. Sign up and create a profile for yourself, and include the name of your business and a link to your website in LinkedIn, Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, Plaxo, etc.

Add a call-to-action video at high traffic sites like YouTube. Get folks interested and send them to your site to learn more. Better yet: syndicate your video for many high-valued links to your site - because video links are given higher priority by search engines. Contact UmeWorks now to add a video commercial to your site now for only $799. And we can syndicate it for you too for more high-valued incoming links to your site.

Join a chamber of commerce and business networking groups who have online directories for their members.

Request links to your site from related businesses and organizations

Colleen

One way to get links is to join as many online coupon sites that you can. Many of them will let you link from your coupons or item back to your site and many are free to join.

Most of the coupons sites are small, but any free advertising is good. Just search for coupons or coupons files.

There are also a few auction sites that are free and some of them allow links to your site.

HiBidder was one of them, but I think that they are off line now.

Of course, you need to be on all the social networking sites like myspace, facebook, etc. Be sure to put links to your site on them.

krystlevogt 29th September 2009 03:50 PM

Issues

I just recently got a website up and running for a friend of mine who is in the remodeling/construction business. For over two months the website was ranked in the top positions of google maps. Suddenly, they have dropped to well beyond the 50th position on google maps. What could have caused this sudden decline. Just last week they were ranked #1 and this week they are no longer ranked that high. I need to get this back up there as quickly as possible. What can I do?

krystlevogt 29th September 2009 03:58 PM

Also, does anyone know how to get web site links added to your google maps listing. For instance, I am set up with superpages, yahoo local and dexknows and would like this links posted on my google maps listing.

copcop 13th October 2009 06:11 AM

Thanks guys for some useful pieces of advice.

royhunters 15th October 2009 04:21 PM

blog posting
Submitting articles to Ezine
Forum posting
blog commenting
Writing good code
Choosing good keywords
Inclusion of great content
internal links with titles
keyword links in url and page titles
Did I mention writing good code???

Just my opinion....

ryan123 20th October 2009 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by royhunters (Post 102250)
blog posting
Submitting articles to Ezine
Forum posting
blog commenting
Writing good code
Choosing good keywords
Inclusion of great content
internal links with titles
keyword links in url and page titles
Did I mention writing good code???

Just my opinion....

thanks for sharing such a useful information.

boatman 27th October 2009 02:36 AM

please add good and unique content to your list.

funkyfresh123 2nd November 2009 05:26 AM

1. Content is king, so be sure to have good, well-written and unique content that will focus on your primary keyword or keyword phrase.

2. If content is king, then links are queen. Build a network of quality backlinks using your keyword phrase as the link. Remember, if there is no good, logical reason for that site to link to you, you donít want the link.

3. Donít be obsessed with PageRank. It is just one isty bitsy part of the ranking algorithm. A site with lower PR can actually outrank one with a higher PR.

4. Be sure you have a unique, keyword focused Title tag on every page of your site. And, if you MUST have the name of your company in it, put it at the end. Unless you are a major brand name that is a household name, your business name will probably get few searches.

5. Fresh content can help improve your rankings. Add new, useful content to your pages on a regular basis. Content freshness adds relevancy to your site in the eyes of the search engines.

FL Marketing 3rd November 2009 11:13 PM

Yeah, worrying about page rank is useless unless you want to sell links.. It wont be long before google does away with it.. they have removed it from webmaster tools, now it is only displayed on their tool bar.

With Google Caffeine... social bookmarking is where its at!

BB Copywriting 4th November 2009 01:01 AM

Jedi SEO

Hey folks,

I think most of it has been covered here. I'd just like to add that we should always be embracing simplification. On the internet especially we are too quick to over complicate things. This isn't necessary.

Lead with the heart and then with the mind.

Make sure that your keywords are searched for. But keep the competition reasonable. If you want to know how profitable a search term is make sure you have "Estimated Avg. CPC" showing in Google's Adwords Keyword Tool.

If it shows moolah, you'll do alright. Then right content and backlink it. That's pretty much all there is to it. The nuts and bolts anyway.

Cheers,

Jason

Whitecastle 4th November 2009 02:03 AM

Lot of Posts about it! Tnx about information!

JockPurtle 5th November 2009 06:25 AM

Don't know what that spammy crap is above but SEO is what it stands for to optimize your website for the search engines.

Obviously two main factors are onpage and offpage.

Onpage (make sure the keywork you are targetting for is in each)

URL
Title Tags
Description
Headline

Off Page

Links - Get them from anywhere it doesn't really matter

It suprises me that everyone is so worried about offpage optimization and they forget about their onpage. Especially for small business and local markets somtimes good onpage seo will get you on the first page within days. I know this becuase I did it last week.

SEO isn't hard. As long as you have you own site with good content you won't have to worry about google changing the algorithms because good content will always be in 'fashio'

Hope this helps

Jock