Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/index.php)
-   Social Media (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Do You Use Twitter For Business? (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25484)

morproh 25th March 2009 12:03 AM

Do You Use Twitter For Business?

I had a customer today ask if they could follow us on twitter. That's the first time I've had that request, do people actually use it for day to day business? I always thought those sites were more for personal and invidual use?

torka 25th March 2009 08:34 AM

Dell says they can attribute over $1 million in additional sales over the past two years to their use of Twitter (source: Internet Retailer magazine, March 2009 issue). In March of 2007, they started using Twitter to announce sales in their Dell Outlet web store, including exclusive Twitter promotions.

Many companies are using sites like Twitter, Facebook, MySpace, etc. to provide an additional channel of customer service, to promote direct sales, and simply to keep an "ear to the ground" for what customers and prospects might be saying directly about them or their industry, or about developments that could impact them.

In fact, corporate use of Twitter has been profiled in both Business Week and the Wall Street Journal, so I'd say it's pretty close to hitting the mainstream if it hasn't already.

Here's an article profiling 40 major companies and brands that are on Twitter, including how they use it and what results they've experienced.

--Torka

customtollfree 27th March 2009 04:10 PM

Twitter is great for business... You can check what your customers are up to even your competitors.

ChristineG 27th March 2009 04:15 PM

Yes, yes, 1000 times yes :)
:thumbsup2

uyytuyt 4th April 2009 05:55 AM

Twitter is more and more popular.

Sporkman 6th April 2009 11:42 AM

A counterpoint...

Quote:

Ask an Expert: Should entrepreneurs Twitter? Uh, no

By Steve Strauss for USA TODAY

Q: Should I Twitter? Zoe

A: To quote my favorite law school teacher, the cranky and brilliant Judge James Adams "The answer is ... No!"

Yes, I know, Twitter is all the rage. Everyone is either tweeting or talking about it or following someone, and so yes, I get that Twitter is the flavor of the month. But know what else I know? Sometimes you don't want or don't need the flavor of the month; sometimes you need chocolate or vanilla. Sometimes newer isn't better.

Here are four reasons why your small business should not Twitter:...
http://www.usatoday.com/money/smallb...s_N.htm?csp=34

geyser 9th April 2009 03:33 AM

I can say that twitter is the mainstream now, but actually twitter is another form of spam in my email.. a lot of people are doing multiple same twits and it really makes me stop following them.

Akmalshahzad 28th April 2009 12:33 AM

hi....

yes

I,m also Use Twitter For Business.

eZeeTax 28th April 2009 03:31 AM

yes twitter is good for business but not every business. It depends what kind of a business you are in, is it something that can benefit from enormous amount of followers or is it something you are doing for PR.

You should have a presence on twitter but don't over use to the point where you become just another tweeter...

FireFold-Jennie 28th April 2009 11:29 AM

At first we thought Twitter was a joke but we finally gave in to the craze and actually have had some very good results from it. I would recommend posting products and services on there but also some everyday activities you do as well to keep you human to others who might follow you.

MooMan 28th April 2009 03:08 PM

I haven't started using it yet, but I do intend to give it a go.

Mahriyah 28th April 2009 06:29 PM

Twitter is great for business! Twitter has a network of 10 million users and it's growing daily. Twitter is a regular part of my marketing day now.

tazsolutions 4th August 2009 12:21 PM

yes it is cool, fun and addictive social network. twitter will help you alot. Twitter marketing is a highly effective way to drive traffic and help you your business. Also twitter build Relationship Marketing to Create Powerful Customer Bonding and Loyalty Instantly

maliaam6 9th August 2009 02:27 AM

You have to be careful. Facebook is better. For me anyway.

Lightingbird 16th August 2009 04:06 AM

So if I were to use twitter for my business. Should I make a separate twitter account for my small company?

ablelardo 18th August 2009 12:56 PM

Twitter seems the most conducive for business..for social networking, I prefer Facebook, but for self-promotion I would use Twitter

spritch 19th August 2009 10:27 AM

If the money is in the list then Twitter is the ultimate list

iwebshop 19th August 2009 07:00 PM

I use it, even if its just for the search thing they implemented. People can do a search for latest comments posted (keywords if you like).

http://www.twitter.com/iwebshop

Phillip

debbystewart 19th August 2009 10:40 PM

I twitter but I don't get many referrals from twitter. Very few followers seem to click on links that are included in tweets.
Twitter hasn't worked for me.

BeInnovative 20th August 2009 01:26 PM

I've starting using twitter for business but so far I'm not sold. I see it as a way to be seen, but even then I'm one of what - 10 million people tweeting? So you really need to be directing people to your tweets. And to make sure that your tweets are of interest to people and also provide a way to generate traffic or sales for you.

For anyone who's found Twitter to be a good tool, would you mind describing how you are using it?

thanks!

Since we're talking Twitter...Here's my twitter page with random thoughts on performance, health and nutrition here: http://twitter.com/OttawaAthlete

humairr 21st August 2009 12:48 AM

Ya , people from every field trying to use Twitter for their business, not IT or computing related

VBN411 21st August 2009 05:26 PM

yes. I think it's more effective when you direct your customers to your twitter page, and any other social media sites you may be a part of. You can embed the site logos on the homepage of your company's website. Most people will click on them and add you as a friend/follow you before leaving your website.

jeffaman 24th August 2009 08:04 AM

Twitter is good for business. It's easy to research your competitors to see what they're up to and it's possible to make some sales. However, I find that you need to stay active each day to get the most sales. If you just update once every couple of days you won't get great results. You need to stay active. I personally don't try and use it to make sales as I don't have time to log in and update 2 to 3 times per day.

I find methods such as postcard marketing do much better for my bank account and my time!

abuyouts 26th August 2009 11:16 AM

everyone is talking about twitter because of its effectiveness in business industry, I can't say much about it, I just aggressively twit and twit and someone does listen to me.. there are lots of ways on how to capture peoples attention but the most important is creativity and style of our twits.

BWelford 26th August 2009 01:41 PM

I think it is important to have a network of followers that you can contact via email when you have something important to get out. If they will ReTweet your tweets, then there is a much bigger chance that the resulting buzz will last for a little while.

Other useful tools are to use hashtags to get like-minded people aware of your tweets and also use the su.pr URL shortener that can also give you useful 'eyes' in the StumbleUpon community.

debbystewart 26th August 2009 10:59 PM

I have used twitter but haven't had much luck with it either. I get very few to no clicks on my tweets and the little traffic that I get does not convert.

peter carri 5th September 2009 05:45 AM

with all the competition around, a business establishment should use up all possible way to advertise. people are relying more and more on the internet so people should start thinking of promoting in the net.

aussieroo1 14th September 2009 10:22 PM

Twitter is a good marketing tool especially for online business. Announcements can be made on the website especially if you have a large network of followers.

john.2 26th September 2009 08:48 AM

yes i am total agree with you .Twitter is a great business site by it which we get lots of profit for our business.

ngseosept 30th September 2009 08:50 PM

Twitter for business is most effective when you have interesting content for your followers. Retweeting about an event or promotion can do loads for your business.

rebecca16 2nd October 2009 01:13 AM

Yes, I use a lot to improve my business and it's kinda very helpfull too:thumbsup2

alex27 2nd October 2009 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morproh (Post 91259)
I had a customer today ask if they could follow us on twitter. That's the first time I've had that request, do people actually use it for day to day business? I always thought those sites were more for personal and invidual use?

Though Twitter is the talk of the town today, I guess its not the thing to do to promote your business and products. I'm using different strategies to promote and advertise my business and it really help a lot. Don't stick to Twitter alone, try to do some other strategies.

jonicode 4th October 2009 03:21 PM

I think Twitter could benefit a business tremendously if done right. Like for example, if you're in the restaurant business, twitting your daily specials would be a subtle yet compelling invitation, not to mention exposing your restaurant to suggestions and criticisms which are always ideal for improvement.

DavidMort 5th October 2009 06:51 AM

Sometimes people just underestimate twitter, taking it not seriously enough.I use it and it really helps, so why not?

meredith 10th October 2009 05:09 PM

Not just for online businesses

I am in a service based and location dependent business, and I've found it great to make new local contacts. I've met a whole new group of potential customers / referrers in this way.

This particular group are very active in retweeting, recommending and sharing useful information and links, and being part of that circle has already paid dividends in my business.

daniela27 19th October 2009 04:51 AM

Twitter is good for business. Business owners are always updating their products and website. And they can monitor their competitors as well.

faizanali0 26th October 2009 01:00 AM

yes i am using twitter since last 7 month, but honestly i didn't figure out that how to attract more peoples to Follow me on Twitter and also How i can get Good traffic Using twitter, Still learning it ... maybe i am not using twitter correctly , i am getting more traffic from myspace and facebook, rather then twitter . so i completely Focus on these two social media Sites

east2west 26th October 2009 05:35 AM

simple answer no....... twitter? who actually takes it seriously? Your time can be better utilized by doing SEO work on the net, UNLESS you have a specilized market that twitter users would like to check out...

IMO...fact is twitter is a tool for basic communication....not B2B.. or B2 Client.

Feechi 29th October 2009 09:09 AM

Not all about making sales

I haven't used Twitter as a way to promote my services, or try to get new clients. I use other resources for that. My #1 reason for using Twitter has been to connect with other graphic designers who post useful information and links that help in the growth of my business. I think it's a great platform!

samklein 17th November 2009 05:49 PM

Twitter

We tried to use Twitter here at my company (startup software) and never saw any value in it. We posted company updates and product update information but never amassed any kind of following. We tried the dirty tactic of reaching out to people who expressed discontent with competing products but ultimately realized it was just another form of spam.

For those of you who claim Twitter is the next big thing, how are you using it? In what way has it become such a crucial part of your marketing efforts? What am I doing wrong?