Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/index.php)
-   Blogs and Blogging (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Wordpress Vs Blogger (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37290)

daniel_R 20th December 2010 06:12 PM

wordpress

Well, I use wordpress and I love it. It's simple to use (like Word) and I like the dashboard area. I do hear many good things about blogspot and others as well, so I guess they are all good. Maybe it depends on what you are writing about, what are the designs you like etc. :)

seattleseoSOS 21st December 2010 02:59 AM

Wordpress:

Version A: websitename.wordpress.com
Pros:
-you get their "content finder" part of their website to give you extra traffic right away; you're not in some deep sea of searches right from the beginning
-simple statistics and fulfilling for the first time blogger
-get the latest tools/add ins/plugins automatically installed into your site
-the power of the main domain name can help you get side benefits in terms of seo
Cons:
-longer url adding the "wordpress" into the name of the url
-can't advertise as freely as you can with blogspot/blogger
-wordpress can fill your blogs with their own advertising
not as customizeable as version B

Version B: your own domain name installing wordpress as the cms
Pros:
-use your own domain name (user's not confused if you do a redirect)
-more customizeable than version A
-can play around with the templates/themes and make them unique to your own tastes
-lots of plugins available
Cons:
-not as much juice at the beginning
-needs a bit of a practice and definitely lots of reading to "get it right"
-might need some coding skills

Blogger/Blogspot
Pros:
-can integrate adsense into it relatively easy
-has google as a sister company
-relatively easy to use
Cons
-not as customizeable
-less features than wordpress
-not a stand alone CMS (unless this has changed recently; please let me know if it has)
-you must follow Google's rules!

I like Wordpress and have used both version A & B. My version A just surpassed the million visit mark last month. Version B has been responsible for letting me learn SEO from a lot of experimenting and frankly has made life in the website building world much simpler than it used to be. Thanks to Matt Mullenweg, the world is full of more websites that don't look so bad & actually are responsible for a lot of the top positions in many of the SERPs.

LP560 21st December 2010 02:03 PM

Wordpress by far since its offered as a standalone solution.

Being standalone offers you more flexibility and control.

Wordpress_guy 21st December 2010 05:15 PM

this is not simple to say wordpress or blogger.
if you mean wordpress.com or blogger.com, i can say wordpress.com is better. I think wordpress.com have better community and better features. but cannot compare with wordpress script that need to be install on 3rd party hosting.

TynnishaH 28th December 2010 06:01 PM

Wordpress is far too difficult for me. Yes, I do think you can create a better blog with wordpress because of the variety of things they offer, but blogger is much easier and it gets the job done.

seattleseoSOS 28th December 2010 06:31 PM

Sorry to hear. One of my clients had the same sentiment when they first started using it. However, it gets easy over time.

I sometimes find some tools/websites difficult to use as well & didn't find either wordpress or blogspot to be the easiest at the beginning. But even little ole me found wordpress to be relatively simple after a bit. Anyway, it's just my 2 cents...

Best of luck & Happy New Years!

Quote:

Originally Posted by TynnishaH (Post 133525)
Wordpress is far too difficult for me. Yes, I do think you can create a better blog with wordpress because of the variety of things they offer, but blogger is much easier and it gets the job done.

radiomedia 1st January 2011 12:33 AM

Wordpress vs Blogging

I use wordpress because it has the ability to customize your blog theme.

MySmallBiz 3rd January 2011 07:23 PM

Does using Wordpress or Blogger depends upon the user too? I mean, does using it depends if the user is eager to learn its ups and downs?

seattleseoSOS 3rd January 2011 07:44 PM

Yah, definitely. Everything's always dependent on the user. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by MySmallBiz (Post 133844)
Does using Wordpress or Blogger depends upon the user too? I mean, does using it depends if the user is eager to learn its ups and downs?

bloggingfortune 5th January 2011 08:53 AM

A big advantage of using wordpress on your own domain and hosting is that you own it. Of course, in your marketing mix you may use both platforms. However, wordpress is easy to use if you invest a little bit of time and money to learn the basics. If you want to see the power of owning your own wordpress site, go to a site like Flippa.com and see how much some of these these sites are sold for.