Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/index.php)
-   Blogs and Blogging (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Wordpress Vs Blogger (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37290)

MySmallBiz 2nd December 2010 11:48 AM

Wordpress Vs Blogger
 
Which is better to use?

AlenWayne 3rd December 2010 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MySmallBiz (Post 131834)
Which is better to use?

I choose wordpress. I post via email using WordPress. It takes only a minute and 1 SQL database to create through Fantastico. Or if you're a reseller it is possible to just put Wordpress into your skeleton.

Candice Robins 3rd December 2010 09:20 AM

I haven't spent much time with Blogger, but I didn't get the sense it was as powerful as Wordpress. I see lots of fairly sophisticated websites made with Wordpress as well as more basic blogs. I haven't seen much functionality beyond blogging from Blogger. Some people think Google indexes updates on Blogger faster because they own it. I haven't seen proof, but if being indexed as quick as possible is a priority it's something to think about.

MikeMinnihan 3rd December 2010 02:08 PM

Re:
 
I heard wordpress is better, but for me, I have used both blogger and wordpress, all I can say is that blogger is easy to use while wordpress is kind of for tech savvy individuals. I dunno it's just my opinion based on my experience. But I do love to be a wordpress expert someday!

Bruce Chang 12th December 2010 06:37 AM

I recommend wordpress for its amazing plugins.

habeeb24 14th December 2010 06:10 PM

I donít have much to say about blogger. Itís easy to set up and use. More reliable than wordpress. You can sign up for a blog in about 30 seconds, and itís pretty easy to fiddle with the look of it. Itís not as extensible as wordpress, but Iíve been using it for a few months now and Iím more satisfied than another one.

Jackrabbit.com 15th December 2010 02:00 PM

I don't have any experience with Blogger, but I can tell you that Wordpress is very easy to use and, like Bruce said, the plugins are amazing. There is a plugin for nearly any service or feature that you can think of. Some big name websites are built entirely on Wordpress, because it allows for a huge amount of customization.

I would suggest experimenting with both to see which you're more comfortable with.

Alex @ Jackrabbit.com

Domestic Diva 15th December 2010 04:20 PM

I didnt understand how to even use wordpress.I use blogger,its really gotten better from what is was 2,3 yrs ago.Its simple but it can be adjusted to fit your needs.

LloydBurrell 16th December 2010 06:28 AM

Wordpress. It has a very comprehensive set of tools. Even if you don't know editing at all, it's so simple that you can't go wrong. And, on the other hand, if you need to take more complicated actions, a great help index is there to assist.

ChrissyBiz 16th December 2010 06:43 AM

I think that Wordpress is far more technical, the user will need to know more to use it than Blogger. Of course, it may be easy to learn (I've used it in the past) but for ease of use I chose blogger for my own.

daniel_R 20th December 2010 06:12 PM

wordpress
 
Well, I use wordpress and I love it. It's simple to use (like Word) and I like the dashboard area. I do hear many good things about blogspot and others as well, so I guess they are all good. Maybe it depends on what you are writing about, what are the designs you like etc. :)

seattleseoSOS 21st December 2010 02:59 AM

Wordpress:

Version A: websitename.wordpress.com
Pros:
-you get their "content finder" part of their website to give you extra traffic right away; you're not in some deep sea of searches right from the beginning
-simple statistics and fulfilling for the first time blogger
-get the latest tools/add ins/plugins automatically installed into your site
-the power of the main domain name can help you get side benefits in terms of seo
Cons:
-longer url adding the "wordpress" into the name of the url
-can't advertise as freely as you can with blogspot/blogger
-wordpress can fill your blogs with their own advertising
not as customizeable as version B

Version B: your own domain name installing wordpress as the cms
Pros:
-use your own domain name (user's not confused if you do a redirect)
-more customizeable than version A
-can play around with the templates/themes and make them unique to your own tastes
-lots of plugins available
Cons:
-not as much juice at the beginning
-needs a bit of a practice and definitely lots of reading to "get it right"
-might need some coding skills

Blogger/Blogspot
Pros:
-can integrate adsense into it relatively easy
-has google as a sister company
-relatively easy to use
Cons
-not as customizeable
-less features than wordpress
-not a stand alone CMS (unless this has changed recently; please let me know if it has)
-you must follow Google's rules!

I like Wordpress and have used both version A & B. My version A just surpassed the million visit mark last month. Version B has been responsible for letting me learn SEO from a lot of experimenting and frankly has made life in the website building world much simpler than it used to be. Thanks to Matt Mullenweg, the world is full of more websites that don't look so bad & actually are responsible for a lot of the top positions in many of the SERPs.

LP560 21st December 2010 02:03 PM

Wordpress by far since its offered as a standalone solution.

Being standalone offers you more flexibility and control.

Wordpress_guy 21st December 2010 05:15 PM

this is not simple to say wordpress or blogger.
if you mean wordpress.com or blogger.com, i can say wordpress.com is better. I think wordpress.com have better community and better features. but cannot compare with wordpress script that need to be install on 3rd party hosting.

TynnishaH 28th December 2010 06:01 PM

Wordpress is far too difficult for me. Yes, I do think you can create a better blog with wordpress because of the variety of things they offer, but blogger is much easier and it gets the job done.

seattleseoSOS 28th December 2010 06:31 PM

Sorry to hear. One of my clients had the same sentiment when they first started using it. However, it gets easy over time.

I sometimes find some tools/websites difficult to use as well & didn't find either wordpress or blogspot to be the easiest at the beginning. But even little ole me found wordpress to be relatively simple after a bit. Anyway, it's just my 2 cents...

Best of luck & Happy New Years!

Quote:

Originally Posted by TynnishaH (Post 133525)
Wordpress is far too difficult for me. Yes, I do think you can create a better blog with wordpress because of the variety of things they offer, but blogger is much easier and it gets the job done.


radiomedia 1st January 2011 12:33 AM

Wordpress vs Blogging
 
I use wordpress because it has the ability to customize your blog theme.

MySmallBiz 3rd January 2011 07:23 PM

Does using Wordpress or Blogger depends upon the user too? I mean, does using it depends if the user is eager to learn its ups and downs?

seattleseoSOS 3rd January 2011 07:44 PM

Yah, definitely. Everything's always dependent on the user. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by MySmallBiz (Post 133844)
Does using Wordpress or Blogger depends upon the user too? I mean, does using it depends if the user is eager to learn its ups and downs?


bloggingfortune 5th January 2011 08:53 AM

A big advantage of using wordpress on your own domain and hosting is that you own it. Of course, in your marketing mix you may use both platforms. However, wordpress is easy to use if you invest a little bit of time and money to learn the basics. If you want to see the power of owning your own wordpress site, go to a site like Flippa.com and see how much some of these these sites are sold for.

Morgan Lewis 8th January 2011 03:19 AM

I would say its Wordpress. I like wordpress that much not only because of its features but also for its amazing plugins and themes. Wordpress is easy to use unlike Blogger.com:D

bird45 12th January 2011 02:57 PM

Wordpress is the best.

yellow01 13th January 2011 02:31 AM

wordpress is better.

hyperbolic 13th January 2011 06:55 PM

Wordpress is far better for SEO purposes. But for people who just want to blog about day to day things without much fuss, Blogger would be the better choice as it's a lot more user-friendly. At least, in my experience. :)


We use Wordpress at work, but I use Blogger for personal stuff. :0)

trishacupra 16th January 2011 11:32 PM

For business, I'd never use Blogger or WordPress.com.

It's by far best to use a self-hosted WordPress installation, from WordPress.org.

Here are 6 very important things to ask yourself before you make your choice:

1. Who has control over my content, ultimately? That is, how easy is it to take all your content with you if you plan on leaving them in future?

2. Who has control over the design of your site? You may find that the template you use can't be taken with you if you leave.

3. Can you back-up your content automatically as often as you want (weekly, hourly, whatever you prefer) so that you have a current copy on your own computer?

4. What happens if you need a feature the service doesn't provide? Can you extend it?

5. Can you easily organize important areas of your site, like the navigation menu and the sidebar?

6. Does your website's design reflect how professional, credible and trustworthy you are? Or do you look like another cookie-cutter fly-by-night amateur because your site uses a run-of-the-mill design suitable for hobbyists?

I've helped people who were being held hostage by the systems they were using (not Blogger or WordPress, incidentally, but paid-for services that are actually rip-offs) and these considerations should never be taken lightly.

fjumayao 26th January 2011 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LloydBurrell (Post 132789)
Wordpress. It has a very comprehensive set of tools. Even if you don't know editing at all, it's so simple that you can't go wrong. And, on the other hand, if you need to take more complicated actions, a great help index is there to assist.

I agree Lloyd. With so many folks supporting it there's a ton of guides and tips from various sites and users. I'm a newbie but I've started hosting a site using Wordpress Multisite, which makes managing several sites very easy. :imnew1:

TilenKrivec 26th January 2011 08:38 AM

wordpress & you can easily learn how to use it, thousands of guides everywhere & youtube videos showing you how to steps

BusinessHelper 26th January 2011 01:21 PM

I would recommend a self hosted Wordpress blog. If you use the free option you are very limited as to what you have control over in terms of design, plugins and functionality. As for blogger you don't have much control at all.

Trampolineman 21st March 2011 11:56 AM

I have used both and prefer Wordpress. It has more tools and add-ons that eventually you will want to use.

cnich007 21st March 2011 12:02 PM

Like others have said, Blogger is the most basic. Wordpress is the medium platform....meaning it's an advanced web-blog/mini-website.

Depending on your business, you may require a true web site in which case Wordpress isn't the ideal choice.

cnich007 21st March 2011 12:07 PM

Blogger is the most basic and is ok if you're just a writer needing only to express yourself through text only.

WordPress is the medium platform, being an advanced web-blog/mini-web site.

If your business requires a true web site, WordPress isn't the ideal choice.

TilenKrivec 21st March 2011 01:40 PM

In what case would wordpress be a bad choice for a website? with the amount of customization it has you can build ANYTHING on it.

cnich007 21st March 2011 02:44 PM

To answer TilenKrivec's question;

In many cases, it can be a matter of personal preference. Yes, you can do many things with Wordpress, but if you are looking to build more than just a blog then it isn't the way to go.

The main reason is due to navigation. The Wordpress platform is designed to create blogs, so if you're building a web site that is 30+ pages deep with content then you have no reason to be using a blog platform to do so.

It all depends on how much content you have. If you only need a handful of pages, then WordPress is the way to go. If your content is considerably more then that, you need to build a web site with a blog built into it.

TilenKrivec 21st March 2011 04:35 PM

Wordpress is not just a blog platform, its a CMS, highly customizable with themes, plugins, etc. I have yet to find a website style that wouldnt be suitable for wordpress platform and here is why:

- Plugins: Open source programs and scripts that you would otherwise have to pay some programer hundreds or thousands of $ to develop for your website are here for free

- Themes: Don't want to spend a couple of thousand $ on a professional design? Grab a theme from a site like http://themeforest.net/ for about 20-50$ and customize it to your needs.

- Ease of use (Drag&drop elements, WYSIWYG, etc.): Great for people who are not super tech savvy so they can still edit and update their website without having to delve neck deep into html code

Nathan House 28th March 2011 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnich007 (Post 139149)
In many cases, it can be a matter of personal preference. Yes, you can do many things with Wordpress, but if you are looking to build more than just a blog then it isn't the way to go.

The main reason is due to navigation. The Wordpress platform is designed to create blogs, so if you're building a web site that is 30+ pages deep with content then you have no reason to be using a blog platform to do so.

It all depends on how much content you have. If you only need a handful of pages, then WordPress is the way to go. If your content is considerably more then that, you need to build a web site with a blog built into it.

I disagree. I've built several websites with WordPress that didn't even have blogs; I just used WordPress as the CMS.

Two of my sites are:
www.mywirelessrevolution.com
and
www.roboticsguy.com

Notice that because of the nice themes, they don't really even look like Wordpress websites, but the development was easy because I used WordPress as the CMS.

WordPress also makes things like changing the menu structure easy, not to mention the millions of plugins available :)

jpub 15th April 2011 08:03 PM

WordPress by far. There's a bit of a learning curve, buy you'll be happy you invested the time to go with WordPress.

The theme selection and plugins are second-to-none.

starki 16th April 2011 08:11 AM

I used both. My opinion is that with wordpress you can do much more than with blogger.

Lucky Adam 20th April 2011 04:32 AM

I am a regular user of wordpress and it is fantastic tool, easy to manipulate with diversified features.

Laura78 21st April 2011 10:24 AM

Wordpress ;)

adamvaldez 21st April 2011 05:26 PM

hi
 
Yes its Wordpress....Blogger is very basic...you cannot move it and so on. With Wordpress you can customize it the way you love more flexibility. For me itís Wordpress. :thumbsup2


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:39 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018 - Privacy