Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/index.php)
-   Blogs and Blogging (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Bad Payer (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35514)

1152dandan 6th September 2010 05:28 PM

Bad Payer

I started a business 5 months ago my first job back in April still owes money they have come up with all sorts of excuses now they are saying they are not happy with the job, I know they are strapped for cash does anyone think they are still making excuses because they have no money ??????

martoons 9th September 2010 08:06 PM

Yes you might have to 'write that off' as a learning experience and move on...when people make excuses I think they're either experiencing cash-flow problems or they aren't happy with the job done...try to focus on new work, getting new projects in the door...focus on that...hope that helps :) Martin

davidbkeegan 14th September 2010 04:12 PM

Did you do research on the company before you decided to work for them? If you did and they looked clean, tough luck. However, skipping that step will always bite you in the rear later.

WillemG 28th September 2010 06:28 PM

Do you have a contract? If you have a contract it is very simple, you just tell them that if they won't pay you will take steps... if they still refuse to pay you, take these steps.

If you do not have a contract, you will have to write it off as said before.

utzjohn 28th September 2010 10:36 PM

Options

Ive encountered this situation in a previous business that I owned and in my mind there are three options - some of which will likely damage the relationship beyond repair (but that might get you some of your money back).

1. Ask them to pay by credit card or come up with an installment plan
2. Small Claims Court - especially if you have a contract
3. A Factor - You can try and sell the debt to someone else for less than its worth

My advice - in the future always have a contract, collect a portion up front and offer to take payment via credit card.

hdm 29th September 2010 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1152dandan (Post 126027)
I started a business 5 months ago my first job back in April still owes money they have come up with all sorts of excuses now they are saying they are not happy with the job, I know they are strapped for cash does anyone think they are still making excuses because they have no money ??????

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble getting this payment. Has it resolved yet?

With new clients, you could get them to pay a substantial percentage up front. If they are serious about the work, this shouldn't be a problem for them.

Cathy Duncan 1st October 2010 02:06 AM

Itís really sad news, dude! I think hdm has given a good advice on this issue. Do follow it and let me know if it works well or not, so that I can also change my strategies.

hdm 1st October 2010 03:40 AM

Thank you for your post, Cathy. Unfortunately, we often learn too late.

Social-Media 4th October 2010 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by utzjohn (Post 127467)
Ive encountered this situation in a previous business that I owned and in my mind there are three options - some of which will likely damage the relationship beyond repair (but that might get you some of your money back).

1. Ask them to pay by credit card or come up with an installment plan
2. Small Claims Court - especially if you have a contract
3. A Factor - You can try and sell the debt to someone else for less than its worth

My advice - in the future always have a contract, collect a portion up front and offer to take payment via credit card.

This is the best response so far. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. And by that I mean, "Get it in writing!" (i.e. CONTRACT)

Have a contract complete with a bulleted statement of work, a list of deliverables, and what is required to consider that deliverable DONE. Price each delivable separately in the contract so that if they say you didn't perform one of the tasks, it's clear what they still owe you for the others.