Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Offline Marketing (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Business Journal Brings Plenty Of Profits! (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13823)

Dale King 5th September 2007 08:41 AM

Business Journal Brings Plenty Of Profits!

If your business is service oriented, and the only business you're getting is coming from online customers, you're leaving a ton of money on the table. Over the last couple of months, I've acquired eight new clients by prospecting offline.

How did I do it? Easy, I prospected for clients in The Business Review.

If you're not familiar with The Business Review, I highly recommend you get familiar with it. The businesses who advertise in that publication are very responsive, and there's a Business Review in most cities.

Different cities have different names for the publication. For example, while the publication in my area is called The Business Review, Atlanta calls theirs The Business Chronicle and Boston calls theirs The Business Journal.

It costs $86 a year to subscribe to The Business Review in my area. I have no idea what the subscription rates are in other cities. But do yourself a favor and check out the business journals in your area. They contain a goldmine of new business!

Dale King

Logan 5th September 2007 06:08 PM

Great suggestion Dale ... I agree it is a good source to prospect new leads. I've also had good luck with promoting business within the local Biz Journal. A couple comments from my experiences ... they publish monthly top lists based on industries. For example, a company I worked for was listed within the Top 20 Web Development list within the local BizJournal. Getting listed on that is free, if you qualify and based on my experiences many use it as a reference point so it is something they keep versus pitching out.

The BizJournal's also have a website that might be worth advertising.

Based on my experiences if you are having good luck prospecting leads from the BizJournal, you might also get similarly good results by being listed in one of the their "top lists" or advertising with them as well. A good source if you are trying to reach a local b2b audience.

Dale King 5th September 2007 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logan (Post 51868)
Great suggestion Dale ... I agree it is a good source to prospect new leads. I've also had good luck with promoting business within the local Biz Journal. A couple comments from my experiences ... they publish monthly top lists based on industries. For example, a company I worked for was listed within the Top 20 Web Development list within the local BizJournal. Getting listed on that is free, if you qualify and based on my experiences many use it as a reference point so it is something they keep versus pitching out.

The BizJournal's also have a website that might be worth advertising.

Based on my experiences if you are having good luck prospecting leads from the BizJournal, you might also get similarly good results by being listed in one of the their "top lists" or advertising with them as well. A good source if you are trying to reach a local b2b audience.

Thanks, Logan! And thanks for your excellent contribution to this thread.

Dale King

Logan 5th September 2007 11:03 PM

Cheers Dale :cheers:

One other thing I thought about that I did regarding using it for prospecting lists. The top lists they print provide a great leads list of the top companies to sell to in a local area. It is a bit archaic, but I went to the local library who had an archive of back issues. I then went through all the back issues and pulled all the top company lists for each industry (by going thru each months issue for a full year and more) within the local area. That turned into a very good leads list of the top companies to prospect.

Dale King 6th September 2007 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logan (Post 51897)
Cheers Dale :cheers:

One other thing I thought about that I did regarding using it for prospecting lists. The top lists they print provide a great leads list of the top companies to sell to in a local area. It is a bit archaic, but I went to the local library who had an archive of back issues. I then went through all the back issues and pulled all the top company lists for each industry (by going thru each months issue for a full year and more) within the local area. That turned into a very good leads list of the top companies to prospect.

Good point, Logan. Another thing I like about the business journals is the fact they publish the names, addresses and phone numbers of newly registered businesses each week. New businesses always need something, and having that information right at your fingertips gives you the opportunity to contact those new prospects before your competitors do.

Dale King