Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ecommerce (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Alexa Traffic Rank: What It Is And Why You Should Care (Or Not) (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7328)

Linda 24th August 2006 01:22 PM

Alexa Traffic Rank: What It Is And Why You Should Care (Or Not)

Here is some information about Alexa rankings.

"On a daily basis, Alexa collects statistics about the number of visitors and page views for every website on the Internet. Actually, it does not have data for all the sites. You see, data collection happens via web surfers that have downloaded and installed the Alexa toolbar for their Internet Explorer browser."

Catch it @ http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/ar...ce/006143.html

What do you use?

David Wallace 24th August 2006 02:14 PM

For those of you who are "Alexa junkies" there is a new tool called Alexaholic. I blogged about it here.

Old Welsh Guy 25th August 2006 02:51 AM

I got a pm the other day on a forum form some angry person (who was basically attacking everyone, and it went along the lines of . " If your such a hotshot SEO, how come your rugby forum has such a crap low Alexa ranking? (the site had a ranking of around 40,000 ) he went on to brag about how HIS Alexa ranking was 700,000 etc .

I didn't have the heart to tell him. ;)

David Wallace 25th August 2006 11:27 AM

LOL. That's funny because people that are unfamiliar with Alexa do think bigger is better when actually the opposite is true. If bigger was better, then I guess Yahoo's Alexa Rank of 1 would mean they are the least visited site on the Internet.

cdsadmin 30th August 2006 04:06 PM

Alexa what? Who's Alexa? Is she cute?

While the Alexa Rank is right up there with PageRank as far as being a focus of any marketing $$, I would also discount it as a source of traffic as well. I can't recall more than a few referrers from their search. hmmmm

They get their results from MSN now, so no need to target it as far as that goes....

Another ego booster methinks.... grab the toolbar and click around your site every day... you'll have a great Alexa Rank...for what it's worth..

:welcome2:

mrClen 31st August 2006 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linda (Post 25726)
Here is some information about Alexa rankings.

"On a daily basis, Alexa collects statistics about the number of visitors and page views for every website on the Internet. Actually, it does not have data for all the sites. You see, data collection happens via web surfers that have downloaded and installed the Alexa toolbar for their Internet Explorer browser."

What do you use?

hi linda. thanks for the information, it would be a great help for my business in months to come.:welcome2:

Albert.

Dynamic-Xchange 18th November 2006 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Welsh Guy (Post 25755)
I got a pm the other day on a forum form some angry person (who was basically attacking everyone, and it went along the lines of . " If your such a hotshot SEO, how come your rugby forum has such a crap low Alexa ranking? (the site had a ranking of around 40,000 ) he went on to brag about how HIS Alexa ranking was 700,000 etc .

I didn't have the heart to tell him. ;)

Lol. Alexa Rankings aren't very accurate in my opinion because as someone mentioned, the statistics are only caught from those who use the Alexa Toolbar. My own website gets a very steady stream of traffic but my Alexa Ranking jumps about all over the place.

Cratima 4th December 2006 04:22 AM

In Romania we have another trafic ranking tool - www.trafic.ro

Much better than Alexa at comparing with other web sites.

Not so great considering the fact that your visitors demographics are visible to every visitor of www.trafic.ro

I'd go for Google Analytics, rather than Alexa.com

mbm 4th December 2006 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdsadmin (Post 26044)
grab the toolbar and click around your site every day... you'll have a great Alexa Rank...for what it's worth..

Right.
Unfortunately, most of the people have no idea about this and it is used to fool them to pay for advertising on worthless web sites.

rknuppel 5th December 2006 07:48 AM

Alexa rankings are almost worthless in my opinion. Unless you are wanting to sell a domain/website; then the buyers might care.