Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/index.php)
-   What Type of Business Should I Start? (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   Opening A Manhattan Cafe (http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8938)

Manhattan4ever 25th November 2006 01:58 PM

Opening A Manhattan Cafe

Hi, I'm new here and I'm 16. I've always loved New York and refuse to live anywhere else. I would like to start my own cafe in Manhattan. Just a nice, little place to go for coffee and a bagel etc. What should I do to get started? I understand it's still early for me but what are the steps you have to go through to get your business started? Thanks for your help.:)

stranger05 25th November 2006 02:28 PM

a bit early for you..

but a great idea:thumbsup: , why not to think from now about the futture. But you will need a good amount of money and a good place. If you opent that caffe call me maybe I come to help you, and work for you;)

Manhattan4ever 25th November 2006 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stranger05 (Post 31939)
but a great idea:thumbsup: , why not to think from now about the futture. But you will need a good amount of money and a good place. If you opent that caffe call me maybe I come to help you, and work for you;)

Yeah, I know I'll need a good amount of money. I just started investing the money I make at work about a year ago. Hopefully it'll be enough to get started. If not, my family said they will all chip in on a place for me. But I'm sure the investing will work out great. :cheers:

Logan 25th November 2006 08:17 PM

A practical first step to me would be to create a business plan. It seems like a logical step that will allow you to proceed at this stage. The process should benefit you when the time comes. Do you know how to create a business plan?

Manhattan4ever 25th November 2006 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logan (Post 31942)
A practical first step to me would be to create a business plan. It seems like a logical step that will allow you to proceed at this stage. The process should benefit you when the time comes. Do you know how to create a business plan?

Sort of. I know the basics like developing a target market and stuff like that, but I don't really know the details yet.

Logan 26th November 2006 10:16 AM

Well, to some extent creating a business plan is the process of working thru those details you are not familiar with yet. Typically it is an ongoing process, where you create an initial draft and continue to revise it as the business and the situation develops.

Here is a thread about starting a business plan and some common starting points used by others.

Manhattan4ever 26th November 2006 11:46 AM

Cool, thanks.:)

KAYLINDA 26th November 2006 09:59 PM

I would be glad to help you any way I can.

Here are some start up ideas for you that will keep you busy for awhile.

1.Plan your menu (no need to cost it out yet-just write down everything you want to serve.
2.Write down every piece of equipment you will need to get started.
Make one sheet for kitchen equipment.
Make one sheet for dining room equipment.
For this, you will need to know approximately how large a place you will have. Count every table, every chair, every piece of silverware, don't forget things like sugar holders, salt and pepper shakers, waitress serving trays, ash trays, every knife, spoon and spatula you may need. If you are going to have 30 seats in your restaurant you will need approximately 45 place settings (truthfully, I like to double the amount). Don't forget glasses and coffee cups. It's easy to think of the big things: stoves, refrigerators, ice machine, freezers...but sometimes you forget the small stuff. Your menu has been planned...so think about every item on it. What will you reach for to make every one? A pot? A spoon? What is needed to get it to the table? A plate, a cart, a serving tray? What will the customer ask for when it is served to them?
3. Make another list of every paper good you can think of that you will use. To go cups? To go boxes? Napkins? Plastic silverware? Toilet paper, hand towels.
4. Make a list of every item you will need to clean with. Don't forget towels, soaps, bleach, floor supplies, vacuum cleaner if needed.
5. Make a list of every "condiment" you will need. Ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise, steak sauce, creamers, sweet and low.
6.Make a list if every expense you can think of. Postage, bookkeeping cost, tickets for the customer, exterminating costs, licenses, payroll, payroll taxes,
banking expenses, lease, utilities, insurance.
7. Now begin pricing every item above. Look on the internet to find approximate prices for used equipment versus new, or ask your family to help.

If you get through this much....I will be proud of you! If you have any questions along the way, post them here, or feel free to email me...and we'll move on to the next steps!

It's so exciting to start your own business....but make sure you are well prepared before opening!

WebBizIdeas.com 1st December 2006 10:42 AM

Where to Download a Sample Business Plan

Hey,

If you need to download a sample business plan:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/te...plan&av=TPL000

In fact that entire website is one great resource for anyone looking to start a business. You can find a template (outline) for any legal, business, ANY form you can think of.

Jeff

Cratima 4th December 2006 05:17 AM

I'd go for a visit on each store of the competition. You'll know better what your clients want by knowing your competition.