View Single Post
Old 3rd October 2007, 03:19 AM   #5
Peter Bowen

Hi Sheri,

You're right in that it is often the owner who holds the business growth back. Most of us don't have the skills in accounting, planning, human resources, marketing etc that are needed to go from a one man show to a real business or the time to do all of those things properly.

I've had some experience in working through the process of growing a business - in one I owned we grew about 12 times the sales during the second year when compared with the first.
- in the other we grew just under 3 times the sales over a 13 month period.

The first business nearly killed me with stress and anxiety. I ended up hating it.

The second was far more fun and way less trouble than the first - and more profitable in spite of the growth being more modest than the first.

I'm happy to try and help but before that I need you to know what the next level actually means to you. What do you want your business to do for you? How much money do you want it to earn? How much time do you want to spend in it? etc.

This is a vital part of designing a business and without it you're doomed to merely respond and to make painful mistakes along the way.

I recommend that you look at a 3 to 5 year horizon when doing this thinking.