View Single Post
Old 7th March 2011, 12:12 PM   #4
DeniseTaylor
VIP Contributor

I don't know if I fully agree with this thread. Links are important, but it is risky to put so much weight into them. Doing so opens the door to abuses as evidenced by the countless websites recently hit by Google's Farmer update.

You spend all your time gathering links and those sites get hit by a shift, and BAM! you business goes right down the tubes with everyone else.

Besides, Google will catch on to linking schemes sooner than later. It's a dangerous strategy to put so much emphasis on links.

In the blog post regarding the Farmer update, Matt Cutts said the types of sites they want to provide rankings to are: "sites with original content and information such as research, in-depth reports, thoughtful analysis and so on.

There should be a balance between good, high-quality content and a solid, rational linking strategy. Good quality with attract links all on its own, which are the best kind to have.

I'm going out of my way to make sure this is said, because a lot of people have been negatively affected by excessive practices. It is risky and until you get hit and you lose all your rankings, you have no idea how painful it can be.

DeniseTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote