View Single Post
Old 8th March 2016, 06:56 PM   #5
DantheMan
VIP Contributor

I'm not trying to disprove this platform.
I'm a practical thinker who likes to understand as much as possible before making decisions. For creative thinkers, I'm sometimes considered a negative force. I like to avoid costly problems by identifying them early on.

Scenario:
I get a couple of small jobs done around the house. I get some good reviews, and now I'm a more valuable customer. I expect a discount or something to turn this value into reality. I get a big job, at a good price, by a contractor with 5 star reviews. But I'm not happy with his work. I fire him, pay for what he's done and we give each other bad reviews. I hire someone else from the site. This guy and I have a good experience, give each other good reviews. What was accomplished with the reviews?

Honestly, it sounds like you had a bad experience and now your trying to avoid ever having another. You only want the best customers possible.
Focusing on your best customers is a better solution. Let them refer you to their friends. Learn to solve problems. Learn to identify what's expected in a contract agreement. If the customer wants more or changes their mind, it changes the cost. If your good at what you do, your peers (other contractors will recommend you. Build a network of contractors you know and trust and look out for each other. You might end up having a blacklist of problem customers that you share privately. You might (depending how evil you are) send bad customers to your unfriendly competition. But I personally don't see much value in my name (as a consumer) being thrown out into the public every time I purchase a service. I might get mad if I got a bad review that was undeserving, and you won't have a good day if you made me mad at no fault of my own.

In the end, what are trying to accomplish? Is it realistic? If you find evidence that people really want this and are willing to pay for it, dig deeper. If not, stop digging.

Last edited by DantheMan; 8th March 2016 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Typo & missing word
DantheMan is offline   Reply With Quote