View Single Post
Old 19th March 2015, 06:04 PM   #19
Logan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider View Post
There certainly is general agreement in this thread that posting articles is useful.
Could be those reading the thread are the one's interested in it.

Quote:
I can see the usefulness of posting an article as an adjunct to an SBIF discussion -- "this is what I think about subject, this is what others have told me about the subject, what do you think? - Here is an article that goes into the subject more deeply."
I agree, and think it is a point of confusion when it comes to the general user. Most consider linking spam. Linking is spam when it is self promotion to your own business. I'd like to see others link to other articles, and even forums to enrich the conversation and value of knowledge shared. Most members assume links are a nono. They are not, unless are just to your own site. More linking to other resources and forums would be good.

In the end, we've always wanted to be friendly neighbors to other resources on the Internet ... and linking to them and referencing good information is one way to do that.

Quote:
I don't think it is beneficial to the forum to have posts such as -- "here is my latest blog post about 5 things you can do to boost business in the winter - what do you think?" One cannot comment without reading the article and thus members who do not wish to click away to read an article are excluded from commenting.
I agree, but we don't want the article copied here for duplicate content reasons. And it is a friendly way to add a different type of thread here.

Quote:
Too much of that and new members may not stay.

Furthermore, the article may have a lively discussion going on the other site, and taking SBIF members away to read and possibly comment there, is reducing the conversation here.
I understand how it could be an issue, but just don't see it as being the case over the years. First, most others don't have any more activity than we do here. If someone were to find a great resource that they participated in via us, I'm all for it.

I'll back up, originally the idea was that I would pull article thread that did not generate further conversation/posts. you know, duds. one post w article and nothing else follows. I did that for awhile, but never held that ground really. Those that post articles regularly are doing so regularly. Usually that is the case. Some stay longer and continue to do longer than others. But in the end I believe they compliment this site as their own focus is all the same as ours ~ similar audiences.

And imo (shh. don't tell too many others) but it is a way for others to self promote while providing some value to the community. Just one way self promotion is allowed and managed here with businesses (which by nature are inherently interested in doing so).