Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > General Small Business Issues
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th August 2010, 10:54 AM   #1
Red Paul

Default Pricing For Wholesale & Distributers?

Hi all,

I've been selling various things direct online (retail) for some time, but am now looking at selling my own products to distributers and/or to high street retailers.

So, the obvious question... what is considered as reasonable price breaks?

I believe wholesale to retailer is generally around 50% RRP?

But what about selling to a distributer, who will then sell wholesale to the retail... how much will a distributer expect to earn? For example, should I be selling to distributer for 40% RRP? Less? And should I specify a wholesale price that must be charged to retailers, or should I leave the distributer to negotiate this himself?

It's a new area for me, so any advice appreciated.

btw, I'm taling about £5-£10 each items, so thinking of specifying MOQ of 10 selling to retailers. Would it be reasonable to expect larger qty (say MOQ 50) when selling to a distributer?

Many thanks,
Paul

Red Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 14th August 2010, 10:15 PM   #2
Hugha

I am a distributor. The discounts I get vary from each manufacturer.

I get anywhere from as little as 20% off list up to 60% off list.

I find that some manufacturers who offer higher discounts also seem to have slightly higher list prices.

My wife is in the bridal gown business. The mark up there is 200-500%.

Sounds great but when you consider the units moved, it is not all that high.

Hugha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2010, 10:20 PM   #3
cfoservices

My distributor clients are happy with maintained gross profit margins of 20 to 30%

Old 16th August 2010, 06:45 PM   #4
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

Do it all the real simple way. Start all discounts from your RETAIL price. Now, that means you have to maintain that retail price. You can't sell something for $50 and then tell me (a wholesaler) that the retail is $60 and I get XX% discount. Follow??

Therefore, create your price list. I would start with what I would consider a basic discount of 30% off list. Then you can create different levels or discounts for quantity. Maybe show your distributor that if he buys $250.00 at a time, he gets an additional 5%?? 10%?? You also have to have the ROOM to discount. So that's why it's CRITICAL you understand this before you set retail and start blowing it out!

Now... here's the $64.00 question. How well do you understand discounts and percentages?? I am not being goofy.

Look... $100.00 less 30% = $70.00
Now, $100.00 less 35% = $65.00 BUT.....
$100.00 less 30% PLUS Additional 5% for Big Order is NOT THE SAME
$100.00 less 30% = $70.00 less ADDITIONAL 5% = $66.50.

So LESS 35% is $65.00
LESS 30% less 5% is $66.50.

IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE!

You MUST know where your costs are, what you can afford and (I would suggest you investigate) what the standards are in your industry. By that, I mean in some cases, you will get distributors who (because of everyone else selling them) will just expect 40% discount. You could sell them all day long at 30%... and never get a sale. So you have to also know your market.

With respect to retail.... DON'T TOUCH IT! It should always be SUGGESTED RETAIL. If you even think about attempting to force a specific price, you are price fixing. That will get you 100% discount from life as you know it.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

BeTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote