Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Generating Revenue, Insurance, Taxes, Etc. > Sales
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 31st January 2008, 11:03 AM   #1
JackieHFS

Default Would You Buy A Detailed Weather Forecast For Your Travels?

Hi All,

I was wondering how many of you would pay for a very detailed weather forecast for your vacation/business travel. As many of you may know, due to your urging, I have a small block of my radio ads posted on Ebay. That got me thinking about another product we could try to sell on Ebay. Just in the thinking stages. We have provided detailed weather forecasts for vacation/business travel and special event planning as a courtesy to some of our paying clients and others. We have had surfers ask weather and surfing conditions for their vacation in Costa Rica and they were blown away by our detailed, accurate weather forecast while they were there. In fact, they planned their trip around our forecast as far as the best waves and we hit it on the money!

So here's a question, would you pay $30.00 for a 7 day detailed forecast to know what to pack for your travels? Or to know that you may experience travel delays due to weather conditions whether you are flying or driving?

Thanks for your input! I could have a few testimonials written up in no time between Major Airline pilots who have asked for our guidance and surfers....

JackieHFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 2nd February 2008, 08:10 AM   #2
JackieHFS

Default Weather Forecast

Well, since 50 of you have viewed this and no one has commented, I guess people would not pay $30 for an accurate, detailed weather forecast for a 7 day trip. Since radio seems like a very difficult market to grow the business, we are focusing on our operational side of the business more. Our operational product is peaking interest around New England. Just trying to think of something else that we do and do so well that we could generate another revenue stream. We are in the process of updating our webpage so I was wondering if this vacation/business travel forecast would be something worth pursuing.

Thanks.
Jackie

Old 2nd February 2008, 11:31 AM   #3
PressureProsInc
VIP Contributor

Jackie, I guess when I read it my first thoughts were..

What am I receiving versus what I can get on the web for free?
How can you guarantee the accuracy of the forecast?

$30 is about 3 times what I would be willing to pay for this type of service again contingent on getting something I couldn't get by doing a local forecast search for my destination.

PressureProsInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2008, 12:21 PM   #4
Logan
Administrator

I agree Ken, I wouldn't pay for something when I have received similar for free on the web. It did make me think of companies that I do know that pay for weather reports. For example, are there ski resorts in your area. I know the ones where I live pay for weather reports. Maybe you should consider approaching businesses where travelers frequent versus the traveler themselves.

Old 2nd February 2008, 01:55 PM   #5
JackieHFS

Default Weather forecasts

First what you receive on most websites for free is generated by the national weather service which is very inaccurate. The surfers we gave the forecasts too were blown away by our accuracy. The group driving to Florida would have been caught in a winter weather event in the mid atlantic states if they used some weather service forecast. However, due to our service, they had some flexibility in their departure time and we told them to leave 12 hrs earlier and they would miss the issues in NJ/VA area. We warned them based on leaving 12 hrs earlier they would hit some heavy rains in the Carolinas and GA. With a good possiblility of hitting sleet as they crossed into the the Carolinas. Their feedback. We couldn't believe as we crossed into NC, we heard sleet start to hit the windows- you should sell this service! Just got me thinking! In fact radio stations we have lost due because of budget cuts with thier corporate ownership, what us back. We are getting emails constantly saying how good our service is compared to many of our competitors. I know I could have a least 6 testimonials written immediately from travelers who used our forecast.

Old 5th February 2008, 03:12 PM   #6
Logan
Administrator

Jackie, I've driven more than a couple dozen times over 2000 miles across the country. I go to weather.com's interstate weather map, and I've yet to have any issue with weather during a trip. Just not something I've ever had an issue with to consider an alternative, and paying for it. Would semi truck drivers/companies be interested?

Maybe others will purchase, and there might be a small niche there. But not something I would consider based on my experiences.

Old 8th June 2008, 02:15 PM   #7
K&G

I don't think I would buy it either. I don't need depth and detail when I travel, just an indication of whether or not it might rain or snow, and if I need an update on the road I can get it on my cell.

There are only so many models to build a weather forcast from, and most forcasts are drawn from several different models. If you've developed a better system of predicting the weather, you might make more money selling your software than selling the reports.

K&G is offline   Reply With Quote