Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Link Development
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 4th April 2009, 04:25 PM   #1
vusal.zeynalov

Default Penalty For Not Linking Out? Come On!

Hi everyone,

I have 2 question about linking out. I appreciate your answers.

1. I learned that not linking out, or linking with nofollows will prevent PageRang passing to linked pages. Therefore, I am gonna never ever link out, to save my PageRank. Is it a good idea?

2. I read in some articles that never linking out can be harmful. Is there any penalties, or harm not linking out? or it is a myth?

Thank you,
Vusal

P.S.

vusal.zeynalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 4th April 2009, 04:49 PM   #2
Logan
Administrator

1) Only if it is best for your visitors. Manipulating pagerank is never a good idea.

2) No harm. just a myth ... but there may be seo advantages of linking out though. For example, maybe it makes your site better. The indirect result is more people link to you because they like your site with the links. Without the links, maybe that is not the case. just a hypothetical scenario for example.

make the best site experience you can. that should be the focus.

imo

Old 4th April 2009, 05:54 PM   #3
vusal.zeynalov

Thanks Logan.

I appreciate your and your friends' work in this forum.

vusal.zeynalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2009, 01:25 AM   #4
acwebguru
VIP Contributor

Just think about the scenarios every website stop giving do follow links then how on earth SEO will work. You have to maintain a perfect balance otherwise; the entire endeavor will crushed all of a sudden.

acwebguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2009, 07:03 AM   #5
JustinMarch

Some feel that linking out (to relevant authority sites) provides your site with more credibility in the eyes of the search engines...

Links are what make the Web the Web (the clues in the title)

JustinMarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2009, 01:26 AM   #6
acwebguru
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinMarch View Post
Some feel that linking out (to relevant authority sites) provides your site with more credibility in the eyes of the search engines...

Links are what make the Web the Web (the clues in the title)
I have never heard this kind of weird idea. There are many websites that have succeeded in retaining top position in SERP despite giving no out bound links.

acwebguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2009, 09:49 PM   #7
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Actually, I have heard of a version of this. Sites that link out to a large number of top-quality sites are known as "hub" sites. Sites that have links from a lot of high-quality sites are known as "authority" sites.

Either one can potentially do very well in the search engines.

This is not to say that you HAVE to link out to do well, or that not linking out will lead to a penalty. Just that sites that link out intelligently give the search engines a signal that they're good 'web citizens' which could potentially stand in their favor. At the very least, it won't hurt.

--Torka

Old 11th April 2009, 10:14 PM   #8
rufman

For me, the more backlinks you have the better. I don't think that having outgoing links really helps or hurts you.

rufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2009, 04:20 PM   #9
AtlanticCity

If you do not want to share your pr value with an outside site then you will want to design your site to go to an inside page for all outbounds links. Just do it naturally.

You can certainly get good PR with outbounds links on your home page. Just be aware that you are 'giving some of it away' with each link.

AtlanticCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2009, 01:33 AM   #10
dkprosperity

I think it might be able to help if you're linking out the right way, etc. I also agree that trying to influence your PR like that will probably backfire.

In the end, the best way to get known, to get traffic, etc. is to do something better than the others. Quality still has a way of getting to the top of the pile.

dkprosperity is offline   Reply With Quote