Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Computing > Website Development
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th June 2011, 12:36 PM   #1
tradeshowdesign

Default Judge My Website

I've recently created a website, twistdisplays.com, related to my work and I haven't gotten much feedback on it. Can anyone offer any reactions or constructive criticism?

Thanks to anyone that takes the time to check it out:
www.twistdisplays.com

Old 1st July 2011, 01:17 AM   #2
LloydBurrell

It's clean and easy to use. Some images loaded slowly, but the percent is not relevant. There's an excellent balance between the design of your products and your website's design, which is appropriate. More content would be nice, however.

Old 1st July 2011, 08:12 AM   #3
tradeshowdesign

Default I agree

Yeah, we're still working on adding additional content, I agree it needs more. Thanks for taking the time to leave me some feedback!

Old 1st July 2011, 12:40 PM   #4
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

Ok... here we go. Please know... I have written similar posts on this forum... and I am only trying to help (from my 10+ years of online experience), so do not take this personally.

I do agree with the layout/design is nice. But that's is about it. There is nowhere near enough content and/or optimization to get you found in search. If you come up.. it's basically by luck.

First of all... your page titles. The absolute most important thing you have for search... and yours say 'Twist Displays'. Well, if I already KNOW twist displays... that's fine. But I am guessing that most do not. Those titles have to include terms people will search for.

Secondly... and I know people are going to say I am wrong... and that's fine too. (I have websites that sell every day... so I guess I am wrong... ) your META DESCRIPTION SUCKS! I looked at a page source... not sure which one... and your description was:

<meta name="Description" content="Information, specs, and pricing on each individual Twist Display model." />

That's nice... if I know Twist displays. I can prove (from actual search results) that articles I have written appears at the top of search engines because of TERMS IN META DESCRIPTIONS... not page titles or content. So are they important? Go ahead... I don't care if YOU think they are or not. I go with what sells... and that's Google rank.

Last tip... see this article/post on Content:
http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/fo...ad.php?t=41783

Last.... (but not the end) do you think people get to your website and just ORDER? I am willing to bet that hasn't happened yet. And it isn't going to. You need a method of marketing to your visitors. You don't have a list... you have no reason why I would sign up to your list. People may try to tell you that e-mail marketing is dead... and that's fine... go tweet that! But in your market (like just about every other one... ) how can you market/sell people who visited your site. After all.. they are prospects... otherwise they wouldn't be there. So you need a newsletter and list. That's an entirely different post and I am already getting to long here.

You have a nice site. But Until you have these issues corrected... you have just that; a nice website... just like the other 5 billion out there. Correct these... and your phone will start to ring.

Please know.. I am not saying this in a personal way. YOu do have a nice looking website... but that's only the start.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

BeTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 04:54 PM   #5
tradeshowdesign

Default Content is Next

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate the detail you went into. So far, I've mainly worked on just the usability, flow, and look of the website. Additional content and SEO are the next steps, but usability was where I wanted to begin.

I have begun adding a little more content but obviously it takes time. The main idea of this site at the moment is to sort of be an online brochure, which we can direct people to for information on our product.

We dedicate the vast majority of our time to our main e-commerce site:

www.tradeshowdirect.com

You may have noticed that if you actually try to click any of the "buy now" buttons you get sent over to the store on our main site.

Over time, I do want this site to be optimized and rank well for the highly competitive keyword, "trade show counters." Clearly this will take a lot of work and additional content, but hopefully it will get there eventually. Any further suggestions are always appreciated. As long as your thoughts are constructive, I always love to hear them.

Thanks

Old 6th July 2011, 07:25 PM   #6
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

Hi,

"As long as your thoughts are constructive". Absolutely! We are all here to learn and you can't do that if you're slingin' mud. My only problem is that I am 'to the point' honest. Like I always say... if you want to be told it's 'perfect', ask your mom, but she don't buy your stuff!

But seriously... Although I am not in your industry, I would not think that 'trade show counters' is a really popular term. I used/purchased/rented trade show booths for years and do not recall the term.. but then again, I am not in that business.

I would start by making sure there is at least a paragraph describing the different variations, etc. I took a look (real quick) at your other site; PERFECT! The content there has to be working well for you. You need to start with at least SOMETHING like that on this site.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

BeTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 09:29 PM   #7
Johndiv23

Its good, its very organized and easy to go around, looking forward for your new contents.

Johndiv23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2011, 09:45 PM   #8
Trevor_UAS

i think it is a very slick looking website the functionality is good and the product is even interesting, i clicked though and checked out a few items just out of curiosity so thats a good thing. As far as an organic searched site it is lacking in the areas that have been mentioned before but there are other ways to market a site. Good job

Trevor_UAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2011, 05:38 AM   #9
Ted GWL

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradeshowdesign View Post
I've recently created a website, twistdisplays.com, related to my work and I haven't gotten much feedback on it. Can anyone offer any reactions or constructive criticism?

Thanks to anyone that takes the time to check it out:
www.twistdisplays.com
Yes, you definitely need to fix page titles, Meta descriptions and add more content to the pages if you want them to rank well in the search results.

The site itself looks professional so it conveys trust. That is very good.

I would recommend that you produce a video, either a flashed based one or not, that highlights the main benefits of the Twist display. Focus on what is better about it in the eyes of the end users. Talk about what they love so much about the Twist displays compared to your competitors' ordinary old displays. Talk about who your displays are perfect for.

If you can't make the video look really professional then it will be well worth your money to pay to have it professionally produced. The quality of that video will reflect the quality of the Twist display in the eyes of website visitors.

Put that video on the homepage.

Just a suggestion.

Old 26th July 2011, 02:46 PM   #10
ElationWebsites

The importance of having a strong call to action hasn't been mentioned yet, so I'll chime in. It is especially important on your homepage to have a call to action, something to lead people to the next page and eventually hopefully to a sales lead or purchase.

What would the call to action look like? Perhaps a button or a prominent link underneath your main banner area (where you have the 3 pictures of your products) that says "Browse our product gallery now". Right now, some of your visitors might not even know that those images are click-able. You have to assume that visitors are usually going to only spend 5 seconds or so on your page and most are not that tech-savvy, so keep that perspective in mind when you're designing your page.

Hope that helps. Cheers.

ElationWebsites is offline   Reply With Quote