Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th September 2008, 06:09 AM   #1
pageBuzz

Default SEO Black Hole

Reading some of the post here I get overwhelmed with all the SEO talk.

Look people, and feel free to disagee with me. But SEO is a waste of time.

Sure you need to make the pages search engine friendly. You need to follow all the standards so you get indexed. But the top sots on the search engines do not have that much to offer. I know, I hold many of them.

There is no pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Even if you achive top rankings, you will be in tears when you realize what you actualy get in terms of traffic.

To get traffic you need pages. Lots of pages. I have sites that are over 10 million pages. None of them are number one for anything significant, but they all get hits and that adds up big. Much bigger than any small site gets.

So if you have a 50 page business website you can't compete with idiots like me that build websites that have their own zip codes. All the SEO money in the world wont buy you success.

You build websites for people not for search engine bots. Concentrate on your customers. Make your sites userfriendly and spend your time marketing. Spend your money advertising.

Stop chasing the holy grail. You wont find it and you will grow old, tired and cranky looking for it.

People tell me stores of how they paid thousands of dollars for SEO so the site should take off any time now. I always ask, why didn't you just use that money to advertise? That would have gauranteed you traffic.

But by then, it is too late and they are broke and giving up. Be careful of the SEO Blackhole. It will suck you in.

pageBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 17th September 2008, 09:54 AM   #2
spencer

I wouldn't say SEO is a waste of time. You just have to focus on doing the right things.

spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2008, 01:03 PM   #3
ktaylor310
VIP Contributor

Quote:
To get traffic you need pages. Lots of pages. I have sites that are over 10 million pages. None of them are number one for anything significant, but they all get hits and that adds up big.
Are you referring to big "traffic" or big "sales". Too many people get overly focused on the amount of traffic when quality traffic is what matters. Good SEO's understand this and focus on conversions not just hits. They work hard to refine keywords so that the traffic you bring in is productive, while also helping to drive your pages high enough up the ranking ladder that they will be found.

Most SEO's do not rely solely on search engine rankings to advertise websites, but employ other advertising methods as well including articles, press releases, social networking, etc.

People who obsess over anything in life can be sucked into black holes of all kinds, but that doesn't make SEO's bad guys. Most SEO's come to the table with more then a bag of tricks, they have a vast amount of internet marketing knowledge that many website owners in competitive industries need.

Old 17th September 2008, 09:06 PM   #4
Stugetz

Default Thanks KTaylor You get it....

Hey, I see so much ambiguity in some of these posts,

SEO for Traffic? I like pagebuzz' energy but what the heck do yo do with a million page site?

If I am on the Internet and searching for information about a particular subject, I will search for it. If I am serious I will hit 5 to ten sights, both paid and organic results.

Now, as a business person who owns one of these sites I am sure you're looking to get paid.

If you offer a product or a solution for what I am looking for, a small sales letter site with good copy might prompt me to buy-you get paid. You're only looking for highly targeted visitors who are looking specifically for this type of information or service. PPC, done right, can be very profitable.

However if you are getting paid from selling ads on your sight then volume traffic is great, SEO and build a million page sight, I guess.

SEO is no doubt the biggest topic in Internet marketing at the moment. And the techniques and strategies are numerous, maybe that's why so many posts.

Before you choose which strategies are best, it's a good idea to figure out what your purpose is with your site: inform, entertain, or sell on the first click. The type of traffic your looking for will dictate the strategies.

Content>Traffic>Conversion

Stugetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2008, 12:09 AM   #5
smthomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by pageBuzz View Post
You build websites for people not for search engine bots. Concentrate on your customers. Make your sites userfriendly and spend your time marketing. Spend your money advertising.
Hey,

These are good lines.

However, we need to work on various SEO stuffs so our users can find our sites in search engines. Overall, SEO is not a waste of time.

smthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2008, 08:23 AM   #6
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

I guess it depends on your business model.

No rational business person would rely totally on the organic SERPs for their business revenue. It's crazy to base your entire business on traffic from a source over which you have next to no control.

But frankly, relying on any single channel 100% is dangerous.

So just because it's dangerous to rely on SEO alone to market your business, does this mean SEO is worthless? Of course not. Smart marketers make use of every reasonable tactic available to them -- which includes SEO.

SEO can be quite effective when deployed properly as part of a comprehensive marketing plan.

Of course, SEO works best if you have a well-written, user-friendly website and offer legitimate products that real people actually want to buy.

For churn-and-burn MFA sites consisting of millions of pages of nonsensical auto-generated "content"... or affiliate sites that offer nothing original, instead simply regurgitating the exact same products and content offered on a zillion other identical affiliate sites already out there... well, for them, yeah, SEO isn't so effective.

My

--Torka

Old 18th September 2008, 08:32 AM   #7
Limozine

Depends on what keywords you're number one for. A golf e-tailer who is number one for "doosensical nufus" is useless. Being number one for "golf clubs" can be very profitable.

Old 18th September 2008, 02:47 PM   #8
jackmcmanus21

I think SEO can be useful if done the right way....it won't make you successful on its own though

jackmcmanus21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2008, 01:41 AM   #9
bonciutoma

Send a message via Yahoo to bonciutoma Send a message via Skype™ to bonciutoma

This discussion made me remember a little story about a writer from my country : Mircea Eliade.

"There was a man who said to anyone the he doesn't believe in a higher entity no matter what is called : God, Mahomed or anything and he doesn't respect anything that is religious. Basically he said that he doesn't believe in anything. Mr Eliade ask him : do you celebrate your birthday or the new years eve ? The person reply that Yes. Then Eliade told him that all those celebrations are at origins religious celebrations." So, without even knowing the man respected something that was religious related.

So what I'm saying is just because you don't like to call it SEO doesn't mean you are not applying some of it's principles.

Many people think that SEO only means keywords, backlinks, titles (and maybe a few more rules) but it's not. I don't think that applying a set of strict rules you can make it. If it would be like that anyone could do it.

No matter what you do : if you get valuable traffic then you are doing seo and maybe you should share how you do it.

bonciutoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2008, 07:47 AM   #10
SashaMike

I would disagree. I assume you were hit by a "bad seo". SEO is true and it all depends on your goals.

Thank you

SashaMike is offline   Reply With Quote