Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Computing > Website Development
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th May 2011, 11:13 AM   #1
computerfoxdesn

Default The True SEO

Hello everyone, I have been posting a lot more lately and have noticed something common-a concern for SEO's. The theory of SEO is how to get your site better noticed. Sounds great, doesn't it? That's why SEO companies (not to offend anyone here who is an SEO company, I only feel the need to say the truth) make so much money without a sweat. We all want our sites to rank higher and that's justified, but the truth is that SEO's don't really work. It's all about the more money you put out and that doesn't even guarantee revenue coming in. Just because someone clicks on your site, doesn't mean they will use your services, does it? No.

Let me focus on the other aspect now-the more money you put out. I know I'm not the smartest when it comes to business, but as a programmer who is very logical, it makes no sense whatsoever, even for a baby company to be putting out more than what they bring in-leading to a loss of money, not even talking about not making anything at all. A loss.... not a good start, it would make me want to give up my dream of having my own company.

So then how can we boost our site? HAAAAA!!!! That in it's self is part art and part science.

First off, think of key words for your field, then try to think like your potential clients and figure out what they would type. This is a common SEO, but you shouldn't have to pay hundreds of dollars each month for no return.

Next, your favorite tool must become Google Webmaster Tools. Here, it will give you EVERYTHING you need to know about your site.

HERE COMES THE ART

If you know a little of how site ranking work, especially for Google, this will be extremely beneficial to you.

First off, you have the crawler errors, here is where it let's you know if Google can crawl through your domain and pick up new information. If there are errors, this will negatively affect your rankings.

Next, you have keywords. Here is where you have all the keywords you are using and gives you an estimate of how many times your site came up during those searches. It's also apart of the whole impressions/clicks things. This is very vital in that you can focus on different keywords and find new ones. You can't get much better than that.

Lastly, you have a list of other sites and how many times they have your links. This is great because the more sites that are linking to you, the more popular your site is becoming and then the higher the rankings. Just because careful because if let's say I am linking to someone's site on my home page and they are linking to mine on their homepage, guess what.... the two links cancel each other out and nothing happens to your rankings. Also, make sure that you are not linking to spam sites. Search engines hate these.

Also, you might want a comments section on your site, something that's natural. This can be done by a few lines of PHP, literally. All of my clients get one free of charge. You need to also know a little of MySQL, but essentially, you would be building a better, more natural, more professional looking version of the comments that you pay so much for monthly. Notice certain typos in some of those comments you pay for. Not professional at all. And since it's a database within your domain, no worries for the clients to set up Outlook or another program. They can just type up their comment and it will enter a database where you can view it. AND YOU DIDN'T HAVE TO PAY A COMPANY HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS for comments that don't even really do anything.

Moral of the post-STOP PAYING COMPANIES TO MAKE YOU FEEL LIKE YOUR SITE IS GOOD ENOUGH. Start putting into action certain tricks. Start saving moneys for more revenue and coffee with your clients. They'd love that and give you true referrals without thinking twice about it.

Again, for any SEO companies here, I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but it's time we stop paying you for something even we can do FOR FREE!

computerfoxdesn is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 31st May 2011, 03:46 AM   #2
brithny

Default Seo

Hey, thanks for sharing this useful post and I totally agree with you on this.

Old 4th June 2011, 10:57 PM   #3
websonalized

I think a new requirement will become part of the SEO strategy. Bing, google and yahoo have partner to create and standardize a semantic itemization of object within the page. Check this out: schema.org

websonalized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 06:21 AM   #4
DavidMort
VIP Contributor

I like your article and especially its part calling SEO activity an art! And I would say more that's a real mastership as well and all the tips you've given are general and common, but to my opinion every expert should develop his personal strategy and find own vector of developing.

DavidMort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2011, 04:23 AM   #5
GoForIt123

Nice post! Thanks for sharing. Yes, awesome SEO will get you all the traffic you need, then its just up to you to put up nice and relevant content to make you the sale. Good work here.

Old 20th August 2011, 01:54 PM   #6
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Just because someone clicks on your site, doesn't mean they will use your services, does it? No.
That has NOTHING to do with SEO. The fact that you can't sell anything is ONLY because the site owner CAN'T WRITE! They just expect people to find the site and buy! Ha! That doesn't happen!

What about Testimonials; 'How To' information; FAQ's; There are COUNTLESS ways to build credibility. You must also MARKET using e-mail lists. Build your list and market to them. If your website does not collect e-mail addresses of visitors, then it's a WASTE OF TIME!

I agree (to a point) what you say about SEO. There are a lot of companies that will fool business owners telling them they will get TOP OF GOOGLE for a phrase; but usually that phrase INCLUDES their business name. That's a rip off because nobody searches that way (or very, very few). They just show the owner their site on top of Google.. and everyone is happy!

BeTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote