Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st April 2008, 03:52 PM   #1
Amir W.
VIP Contributor

Default Increase Ranking For E-commerce Site

A friend of mine was asking for some advice on how to increase his rankings. He has an e-commerce site that is about 1 1/2 years old. The meta tags on the site are pretty good. Since they are new, they don't have too many products on the site, though. My first piece of advice to him was to add as many products as he could, and add quality content for each product.

Since his meta tags seem ok, is there anything else I can advise him? Should he buy some links or submit his site to any directories?

Amir W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 22nd April 2008, 01:25 AM   #2
Logan
Administrator

I'm sure there are many things, but tough to say blind.

Just for starters, a few things I would make sure -

1) The product descriptions and all content he is using is unique. Often products have generic descriptions provided by manufacturers, etc. Don't use them if they are. Write new ones of your own. If there are not good descriptions work on that. A lot of focus there can be beneficial based on my experience.

2) Are the urls of the site seo friendly, etc (no session ids, preferably minimum number of paramaters

3) Does the navigations structure of the internal links form a hierarchy incorporating the keywords that they are targeting

Those are just a few common pitfalls I see often with ecom sites. With that in place, encourage him not to just add products but to add them based on keyword research.

Could he add additional content for the products that he displays on the site targeting long tail keywords related even further.

Links. Too broad to approach here in a post, but how many other sites link to him now and how can he start expanding that to increase his exposure not only for the search engine benefits but because it could provide traffic that would be interested in purchasing.

It truly can be never ending, although more challenging with a pure ecommerce site, to always continue working on things.

That is kind of a broad response Amir, rambling i guess. but hopefully it gets things rolling along. If you can share more specifics, I'm sure we can get into some more specific suggestions.

You mention meta tags, that plays minimal role and zero with the keyword one. Are the title tags unique and targeted, and if so based on the time online does google analytics or another tool show any current traffic coming from keywords?

Old 22nd April 2008, 04:11 AM   #3
rqlguevarra

advertise his website online.

rqlguevarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 10:27 PM   #4
ideas2earn

One of the problems with adding products is the cost of stock. Your friend may be able to add things like store branded T-shirts through an affiliate program, which will give more content, potentially more sales (at no cost) and the impression of a bigger store.

I'm not a big fan of affiliate schemes or drop shippers but am also about to start an e-commerce site and am thinking of going down this road just to pad my virtual shelves

ideas2earn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2008, 08:51 PM   #5
cpr
VIP Contributor

Are you aware of any Internet marketing efforts? Increased promotion always helps...

Old 8th May 2008, 10:36 AM   #6
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Give him a copy of our own Jenn's free Zero Dollars, a Little Talent and Thirty Days ebook.

--Torka

Old 5th June 2008, 10:49 PM   #7
Sesimi

Send a message via Skype™ to Sesimi

Simple.
Create separate landing pages for his big money keywords. Optimize each page for the keyword and start a linking campaign to each page. These pages will rank and feed the rest of his site.

Sesimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2008, 10:16 AM   #8
mace_joyce

Smile

Promote his site, linkbuilding, then post in ads to advertise his website

mace_joyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2008, 03:29 PM   #9
mappy

Adding more content that is original and interesting is important. A user would log out of the website when he finds that the site doesn't offer him something new or informative.

Make sure that the site has easy navigation to its pages, especially to the pages that contain the products and services offered. Make sure that the contact details of your friend as the owner is accessible too. Interaction is important especially when customers might have questions.

Promote the site by posting ads (e.g. craigslist). You can even give press releases a try. You can also make use of social sites. Squidoo can be very effective in getting target leads if you're selling something.

mappy is offline   Reply With Quote