Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29th June 2008, 06:25 PM   #1
homebizseo.com
VIP Contributor

Lightbulb How Many Hours Per Day?

How many hours per day or week do you spend on offsite optimization?

1) Directory submission
2) Article submission
3) Link Building through forum posting and blog commenting
4) Press release
5) Social bookmarking
6) Video submission
7) Other

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 29th June 2008, 07:05 PM   #2
randykirk

I generally spend about an hour per new web event with the optimizing side. So if I do a new article, it may only take 15 minutes to put it up on onlywire. But if I do a video, I will usually embed it and do an article, so an hour total.

The killer for me is following up to see what the results are. I'm probably in the dark ages and there is some great service to track key words and phrases I care about to see how my clients are doing. If you know of one, I could save about $1million a day.

randykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2008, 07:14 PM   #3
homebizseo.com
VIP Contributor

@randy How much time link building?

Old 2nd July 2008, 06:58 PM   #4
homebizseo.com
VIP Contributor

I link build for 6 to 8 hours per day. I have several niche sites and I build one hour per site. That's not including the homebizseo site.

Old 2nd July 2008, 07:35 PM   #5
carlisle

I have more than 1 site so it takes too much time for me to update them and then work on SEO.

SEO works should be done very carefully. When you get lots of backlinks in a short time search engines will consider them as spam. So I try all those ways in different times and slowly. I think patience is the key.

carlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2008, 06:15 AM   #6
sinhob

I go through phases! I add articles frequently and sometimes edit them to add to article sites. I also blog although not as frequently as in the past! Some days I spend many hours making changes, optimising my site, moving things around, writing etc and other days I concentrate on commenting on forums or writing press releases. In fact just in the last couple of weeks I've had a full page article about my website printed in two local papers and one regional!

So really, I'm either totally focused a lot of the time or just a little bit some of the time

sinhob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2008, 07:44 AM   #7
corte1

If I were to reduce my work down to a single 8 hour day, here's what I would spend my time on.

7 hours writing original and relevant content on my website. This content must be based on high-demand low-supply keywords.

1 hour working to build my link popularity.

My point is simply that in the long run, you're much better off building up original content on your site. One of the things that the search engines look at is how long people stay at your site. You can build a lot of links to your site but if people get there and leave right away without looking at any additional pages, the SE's will notice this and your rankings will suffer.

Is building your Link Popularity important? You bet - but not at the expense of writing great content on your site that drives people to want to read more and sign up for your newsletter.

Sure, work a little each day on getting inbound links from relevant sites, but spend the bulk of your time on your website content. Traffic built up through great content is traffic that will last.

corte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2008, 10:10 AM   #8
Logan
Administrator

Quote:
but not at the expense of writing great content on your site that drives people to want to read more and sign up for your newsletter.
... or that will attract others to link to your site without you requesting.

It's an interesting question, and I don't have a right answer. I think most miss the concept that it is not purely a function of time. I can spend zero time on a site when it comes to link building, when the quality attracts links on it's own. Based on the comments from previous posters, if in that situation I would reduce my link building time and shift some of that focus to building the quality level of my site so it attracts links from others.

Link Building = Time + Quality

Old 5th July 2008, 09:00 AM   #9
simonr

Send a message via Skype™ to simonr

More interesting to me than how much time people spend on (things like) building in bound links is the key question of "where do you get those inbound links from?"

S

Old 8th July 2008, 05:27 AM   #10
Maine-Associate

I spend time according to requirement. I divide my project work separately then work on each

Maine-Associate is offline   Reply With Quote