Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > General Small Business Issues
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th May 2011, 04:48 AM   #1
engpo

Default Block Facebook In Office?

Hi,

what is your opinion, should facebook be blocked in office? I have a small business (5 employees) and i am thinking to block facebook access on computers in company. Facebook can be to much distracting and can negatively affect on productivity of workers. I want to do it so that mentioned site can be accessible on breaks. What is the best way to do that and what is your opinion and experience about, generally, blocking a facebook in company?

engpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 19th May 2011, 03:37 PM   #2
ChrissyBiz

Send a message via Skype™ to ChrissyBiz

Anything that is jeopardizing the productivity of your workers should be blocked -- regardless of how much they will protest. I would not immediately block it, but test out how they respond to a verbal warning and perhaps monitor their usage. This is a touchy issue for a lot of companies but definitely should be dealt with if you see a decline in sales, productivity, or other measurable benchmarks within your company.

Best of Luck!

Old 20th May 2011, 09:13 PM   #3
letsgetstarted

I feel like it is a lose-lose situation because blocking the website will just get employees upset and could also hinder productivity because so much energy will be focused on the "unfairness" they believe the new rule is. I am not sure what business you are in, but maybe a little micro-managing and goal setting could improve employee's productivity. And at the same time you are inadvertently limiting their time on faceboook because they know they have certain objectives that need to get done.

Of course you run the risk of the backlash from the micro-management, but I feel employees head to facebook when they feel they have completed enough work to reward themselves with some free time. Also, I think people in the work force work better with intermediate breaks. Just like at Google where employees are given time during the work day to work on anything, but their actual "work".

letsgetstarted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2011, 01:32 PM   #4
alyon006

If you block it they can still get on Facebook using their cell phones. Most people have smart phones these days which can easily access the internet or a Facebook application in seconds... I would give them a verbal warning and monitor their Facebook usage. If they spend over an hour on Facebook every day, I would fire them.

alyon006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2011, 12:10 AM   #5
mkate

I suggest you don't do such.

Blocking those so called 'unproductive' sites like Facebook could be counter productive based on my experience with my employees.

I suggest you just use some kind of monitoring software that will track whatever they are doing on their computer. Allow them to use Facebook but not that much. If they are abusing it, then you know what to do with them.

These sites actually have a 'recharging' effect on employees anyway. When it is already tiring and the brains don't seem to work anymore, these social networking sites can even help refresh their minds.

mkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2011, 02:30 PM   #6
melissacatwalk

If it really distracts from work, then you ned to do it as work is more important than just chatting in Facebook. My office doesn't ban it at all.

Old 26th September 2011, 04:45 PM   #7
Neil D

If you only have 5 employees in the office then it shouldn't be too hard to police. Do you have policies in relation to personal calls from the office or people taking excessive time out from the office? Using Facebook during work time is pretty much like sitting there and reading the paper.

I would talk to them first and set some guidelines, if they still don't adhere to the guidelines I would consider putting in tougher controls.

Old 27th September 2011, 04:37 PM   #8
MarketingExpert

Default 100% Honesty

If a person in your office knows anything about computers he can just use a tunnel to get around any block you may have. And it depends on your type of business, some business's can use facebook to their advantage.

MarketingExpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2011, 05:52 AM   #9
kayetaylor

Smile

For me it is okay to block the facebook in the office. Since we are paid to work not just to chat at the said social media/play and soon.

kayetaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 01:56 AM   #10
jhardy2008

Smile

Yes.. block all social networking websites in your office premises.

jhardy2008 is offline   Reply With Quote