Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Local Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd June 2006, 12:52 PM   #1
oberhand

Default How Can Local Businesses Benefit from Search Marketing?

How can local businesses, that is businesses in Pheonix Arizona for example) benefit from a SEM campaign? What can really be delivered to them on a small budget? What services can be pitched and measured. A PPC campaing based on local search keywords? Would that even be profitable for a SEM/SEO consultant to consider?

Thanks for any help
Bruce

oberhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 23rd June 2006, 10:41 AM   #2
caseyturton

Why would it not be profitable for the consultant? Most of this country's economy is driven by Mom-and-Pop shops and not everyone can have Nike as an account.

You learn what to offer your customers by speaking with them and finding out what their needs are..where is the pain for them? How can you find them revenue growth?

You hone your offering by first doing it for your own services. If I lived in Phoenix and wanted to find you as a Phoenix SEM company, could I search and find you?

That's the place to start.

Old 23rd June 2006, 04:53 PM   #3
oberhand

Default Phoenix SEM company

Before I spend any time doing any optimizations so that you can search on Phoenix SEM company and find me, can I determine how many times Phoenix SEM company was searched for previously?

Otherwise why would I waste time on a campaign that may not produce results. You put the word "company" as part of the keyword. Maybe there is a better term? How would we find out?

Thanks for any help

oberhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2006, 07:48 AM   #4
caseyturton

Default Go here

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberhand
Before I spend any time doing any optimizations so that you can search on Phoenix SEM company and find me, can I determine how many times Phoenix SEM company was searched for previously?

Otherwise why would I waste time on a campaign that may not produce results. You put the word "company" as part of the keyword. Maybe there is a better term? How would we find out?

Thanks for any help
go to www.searchenginewatch.com. Poke around that site and you'll find the tools you need.

Old 5th September 2006, 01:56 PM   #5
ladgej

Default step up

SEM / SHMEM. The most effective method would be to contact Eric Baum or Jason Jacobs. I hear they are excellent people for you to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberhand View Post
How can local businesses, that is businesses in Pheonix Arizona for example) benefit from a SEM campaign? What can really be delivered to them on a small budget? What services can be pitched and measured. A PPC campaing based on local search keywords? Would that even be profitable for a SEM/SEO consultant to consider?

Thanks for any help
Bruce

ladgej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2006, 11:57 AM   #6
IgorMordkovich

It all depends on the industry and how many searches the keywords get. For some local businesses SEM is a waste of time and for some it's gold.

Just do research using keyword tools to see what you can expect.

IgorMordkovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2006, 04:09 PM   #7
earlpearl

you can make it work but I'd revise that strategy a bit.

Take my little business. Its in the range of $500,000- $2million/year in revenues.

We can easily spend $100,000/year in advertising. Of course no advertising agency or group would know or get all our advertising.

Our business gets the majority of its business from the web these days. We have self optimized the site.

Now I would do a couple of things. Phoenix is a large market so there would be lots of great candidates to get big chuncks of money for effective advertising via local seo/sem.

I'd go through the local YP. Look for candidates that spend lots in display ads. Look for the ones that cover a couple of editions of YP in that market. There will be lots of them. By example, part of our over 6 figure advertising goes to local display ads...and we have small such ads.

The advertisers w/large display ads will have substantial budgets for significant local advertising. it will be substantially large multiples of the budget I threw out to you.

They should be spending for local websites and significant local seo. By example I'm sure moving companies have huge display ads inthe region.

Now with those types of budgets I'm sure you can provide services that will cover local seo and other web site development services.

So I would work to optimize the site for Phoenix seo and other phrases that would generate responses.

Then I'd direct market my services to the candidates who have the ability to spend substantially and I'd find them through the local YP.

Dave

earlpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2006, 05:30 PM   #8
MarieS

Default One thought

Rather than waiting for these companies to find you...perhaps you can go GET some of them.

I don't do SEM at all, I have built websites and the like and worked for a successful dotcom, so a friend who is a florist asked me one day to help.

He (like many florists) has a website that is managed by a larger provider for FTD purposes. He was tired of people getting to him through 1-800 flowers & such because he only gets a small portion of the sale. Add to that -- he has no control over the web content.

He was buying PPC on Google and made his listing region-specific for our town. So to try & help, I turned OFF the region specific and just set him up with key phrases like "our town flowers" and "our town florists" etc.

(It was Valentines & he wanted to regain some of the sales PROFITS he had in previous years)

...did it work? You bet! I came back to my office on Monday to huge a floral arrangement thanking me for the influx. He got more calls than ever and really enjoyed not getting sales through the outside sources...rather right from his website. He said it was his best Valentines Day in years.

So that is not optimizing his pages, but I have just given you a niche with a problem that they may not know how to solve on their own :O)

Hopefully it will spark more ideas for you.

Peace!

Last edited by MarieS; 6th September 2006 at 05:32 PM.
MarieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2006, 08:28 AM   #9
earlpearl

Hey Marie:

Great suggestion. I do both geo target and target my ppc with my town/my service ads.

I think I'll look harder at how they produce. Nothing like evidence to change the way you do things!

Dave

earlpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2006, 10:15 AM   #10
Old Welsh Guy

phoenix arizona web design 32,600
phoenix web site design 2,270
phoenix web design 1,134
phoenix web hosting 1,008
web cast worldwide phoenix radio 960
web design phoenix 870
phoenix web page design 686
phoenixarizonawebdesign 672