Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Newsletters and Email Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th July 2011, 09:46 AM   #1
Mike.Bean
VIP Contributor

Default Customer Registration In Your Store

Is it a benefit to make customer registration necessary in your store, or will it just make the people who don't want to register not order.

I can see how both sides of this make sense. On one side if you make it so you have to be registered to order in your store, you get every customers information so you can continually market to them and they are your target market. By not making people register you lose this information and lose a chance at getting them to come back to your store.

However....

By making your customer register before they can order you could lose the order in the first place. A one time order is still a great thing, they might not have even considered your after order e-mail to get them back in the first place. Some people need one thing and are done with your store. At the same time they might still register order once and not come back if you forced the registration but i guarantee you would lost a couple people here and there.

So, force registration, gain potential secondary customers, and lose some one time customers.

Or, don't force registration, keep one time customers, and lose the chance to market to secondary customers. (even though they might still come back)

What is the best decision?

www.mediabean.biz

www.philosophyroundtable.com
Mike.Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 27th July 2011, 11:09 AM   #2
trade-show-diva

I think it depends on your e-commerce software whether or not customer have to register to place an order. It may have to do with cookies and keeping track of items in the shopping cart, and I think some software simply won't work unless you make people register.
I personally don't like websites that force me to register if I want to order. I think the best sites have optional registration, which allows you to keep track of past orders if you want. That way, the first time I can just order, then if I become a repeat customer I can decide to register to keep track of my details and speed up future ordering.
If someone orders from you, you get their information whether they "register" or not. I can't see any benefit to forcing potential customers to register, but it is a nice OPTION. If anything, I think forcing registration might turn off a few people and actually lose a few sales...

trade-show-diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2011, 11:35 AM   #3
Logan
Administrator

Allow them to order without registering. Any time you make someone do something online (i.e. registering) you will lose a (large) percentage of people. I can't provide a source, but I've heard that the number lost is about 25% when it comes to requiring registration. I think the best option is to offer both, then with the non registration version offer registration after the order is complete. I'm not sure of an ecommerce program that does this specifically but have seen it custom programmed and it worked the best. When it doubt regarding marketing choose the best of both.

Old 3rd August 2011, 01:29 PM   #4
Mike.Bean
VIP Contributor

I thought it would be more debatable, but thanks!

www.mediabean.biz

www.philosophyroundtable.com
Mike.Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 06:40 AM   #5
Gary Barzel
VIP Contributor

By continually marketing to customers who don't appreciate it, you are not creating your niche market, you are destroying your business. By approaching it from a creative angle you will attract a lot more business, and create a lot more happy customers. You can offer your customers in exchange for their information, that you will be sending out specials and discounts that will only be valid for online registered customers. Your goal is to offer them incentives so that they value the fact that they are registered instead of getting more emails that gets transferred to their spam folder.

Old 11th October 2011, 09:15 PM   #6
numeric

I believe in keeping records. It's not going to make people go away as long as you tell them why you need to do this and that there's no charge or if there is, you need to break it down to them immediately. It's best to notify them and it's best to know who you're dealing with all the time.

Old 22nd October 2011, 01:08 AM   #7
B2Bexpert

A one time order is still a great thing,

B2Bexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2011, 01:29 PM   #8
Bryan Abney

My Best suggestion would be keep both the customer and business owner happy. Get your customers to register, give them something for registering (like a coupon to redeem). They receive a deal, you receive their email. To get your customer back again all you have to do is simply send them another deal. Hope this helps

Bryan Abney is offline   Reply With Quote