Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > Trade Shows, Conferences & Expos
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th July 2006, 10:51 AM   #11
EASJennifer

Send a message via AIM to EASJennifer Send a message via Skype™ to EASJennifer

I really recommend going to another show that the organization does before you decide to exhibit. You not only need to consider what other businesses exhibit, but what kind of people show up.

Last year, I exhibited at a Women's Expo. My company and another company were the only service businesses there, the rest were direct sales. And the people attending were people trying to get free information on starting a business.

It was a waste of time and energy, and I'd have known that if I had attended one of the expos before I decided to exhibit.

EASJennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 19th July 2006, 07:59 AM   #12
BWelford

A good way of getting extra mileage out of your trade show participation is to mention it in your blog (you do have a blog I hope) before the event. Try to think of a different angle so that your post is one that's worth reading. If you do that well, then it may be that a Google search for the event will bring your post up high in the rankings. You may even rank higher than the show itself since many don't understand all that SEO stuff.

Of course you'll also be informing the blogosphere at the same time and it's surprising what that can bring you.

Old 11th August 2006, 04:24 PM   #13
Satty

Can someone guide me how to find information on various consumer shows and expos in Ontario, Canada for promoting fashion wathces and jewelery?

I guess, I am not off the topic here.

Satty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2006, 04:38 PM   #14
Logan
Administrator

I'm sure there is various approaches - but to me going to the local chamber of commerce would be the route I would go to get a list of all local shows.

Old 27th November 2006, 10:43 PM   #15
ShipOnSite
Banned

Default Does it work?

Lots of good ideas here - but the bottom line, does it work in the promotion of a new business opportunity? is there a place to find some stats on whether or not the "entrepreneur/new business ideas" shows really work for converting interest to 'sales' in the idea. i'd LOVE to participate in a show - but, they are expensive. Is it worth it? Does it work?

ShipOnSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2007, 10:36 PM   #16
CaydenCreations

Thumbs up

Thanks, Torka. Good advice. I've just registered for a local consumer show (baby products) that promises 13,000-15,000 attendees and, as you said, not cheap-- $1,300 for 100 sq ft. Our challenge now is to find 'swag' for children that will bring moms to our booth. Obviously, I need to do some online research.
Would like to hear from others regarding thoughts about type of display that is sufficient but not overblown for the purpose: introducing our product locally but also selling them there. We're planning give-aways such as T-shirts w/our logo and website ....I see them as walking billboards since our product is so unusual that the name itself will attract attention.

Any advice on types of take-away literature? Coupons for web sales? Flyers about the product features? Other ideas?
Thx!

CaydenCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2007, 10:39 PM   #17
CaydenCreations

Hmmm...that was worth spending the time tonight! Great idea ....and kind of a 'duh!' moment for me. Good timing, too.

CaydenCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2007, 12:05 AM   #18
CreativelyBelle

I'd say for the baby stall display have something out front that brings the kids cover - maybe a big purple dinosour soft toy that can stand by itself? Something that you can have that catches their eye and they can touch safely.

Giving out lollies or candy wouldn't be a good idea given the risk of chocking, health issues etc (I usually have red lollies and chocolates at my expos but they are for grown ups).

T-shirts are an expensive marketing tool - are they for people who order or shop directly with you at the show? How many are you planning on giving away?

For me with expos I look at the cost of them and what sale returns I require directly from doing the expo to make it profitable. Knowing your numbers makes all the difference.

I did my first bridal expo (I have a fashion jewelry business) in February and broke even while learning some really good lessons. I did the second bridal expo in May and made my costs on day one so all sales on Sunday were profit and the jewelry parties I have booked from there will be all profit. But that was because I learned my lessons and wrote them down so when I was getting ready for the second one I was ready to go.

One of the main lessons that made such a difference was having big signs that said you could buy directly from the show.

Another lesson was going round to all other exhibitors with my flyer and letting them know they get a 10% discount for their shopping at the show. I made this offer to everyone working at the show. It worked a treat.

I also send thank you notes to organisers for their efforts and including me. I find good manners make all the difference, especially as the organisers are involved in the media selection process.

I was looking at doing a big trade wholesale gifts and homewares expo and a jewelry trade show and as they are loads of money I went to explore and research at few shows first. After walking round, talking with others at the cafe etc, and listening to exhibitors I figured out what I would do if I was to have a stand.

I would get the list of previous attendees and selectively target market with direct mail including postcard invitations that would show a map of where the stall was and its number, website address, special offer such as 10% off with this postcard sort of thing. If the show is going to cost $6000 it needs to generate $60,000 in sales - seriously. How else are you going to stay in business if you don't bring in the income?

I ended up deciding that I didn't want to be in these particular shows, that not being in them is a selling point for me. Many of the best shops in a town or suburb got there because they have suppliers who aren't at the big trade shows so they get to have stock that is different and they don't have to compete on with other local shops.

All of my wholesale shops are the best little shop of their kind in town and love having independent designers. I do meet up with them at trade show at a cafe for lunch and they buy directly from me. It does mean that I have to have a lot of work designed and made for each trade show but it is a great cash injection without the cost of doing the trade show.

Most of my wholesale customers have found me either online or as a recommendation through friends and customers.

I figured if I wanted to spend $6000 on a marketing campaign to build my wholesale customer base it would be better for me to join the trade show organisation at a level where I could get their list of attendees, research them to figure out the shops I wanted and their direct market specifically to them with my designs and information (articles) that would be of direct interest and value to them so they don't mind hearing from me 7 times.

So yes, pick your expos carefully, do your research, think creatively and figure out the money first to see if it makes sense.

All the best with it. Expos can be great or a nightmare - going for the best results is far more fun!

Smiles
Belinda

Our Jewelry Display Stands are great for Expos!

PS. If you're looking for expos in your area go to the website of the local conference centres and see what they have listed in their calendars and explore from there. Checking out industry groups for their expos is also good.

CreativelyBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2007, 10:51 AM   #19
dap15

Default help

I am going to a tradshow in the next couple of weeks. I sell as seen on tv products. The problem is I'm set up with over 200 manufactures who dropship for me. how many products should I bring to the show and what quanity. any help would be great as I am on a budget.

dap15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2007, 04:49 PM   #20
sdk1988
VIP Contributor

CaydenCreations - this may be more in the future for you, but someone here told me when you do trade shows, and have your lists of clients, send them out a chachkie, or giveaway as an invitation to the booth, and/or bring that item for their chance to win...something else..perhaps one of your products.

sdk1988 is offline   Reply With Quote