Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > Trade Shows, Conferences & Expos
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th September 2006, 11:17 PM   #1
cuongee

Default A New Idea To Attract People To Trade Show Booths

Dear friends

Iam attending a IT show in two weeks.
Can you guy give me any tips or marketing idea to attract people to my booth?

This is one of my idea, maybe it can help you guy.
- Showing good music together with funny video clips on the projector. If you put in the good position where everyone can see it. Im pretty sure they will stop by and watch it.

Thank you!
Hope you guy can advise me a few ideas

Last edited by cuongee; 12th September 2006 at 11:32 PM.
cuongee is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 13th September 2006, 07:33 AM   #2
pete
VIP Contributor

You might get Bill Gates to stand out front.

Or, better yet, arrange it so your product(s) are doing the selling.

While what you propose may entertain the passersby, is it going to attract the prospects and buyers you are there looking for?

As both a vendor and a buyer at many shows over the years I think that most attendees come with a list of things they have in mind to investigate. If your products are on that list, then making the products the draw is what will bring them in.

If you are simply hoping to catch the window shoppers and those with a bit of spare budget then something like you suggest will at least catch their attention.

pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2006, 09:31 AM   #3
Logan
Administrator

Welcome aboard

The obvious question to me is does it help reinforce the message you are trying to communicate?

Old 14th September 2006, 11:51 AM   #4
David Wallace

Search Engine Guide Blogger

At the recent Search Engine Strategies in San Jose, a web analytics company named Unica drew a lot of people to their booth with a magician that beckoned people over and performed magic.

I don't know how effective it was overall because a lot of people remembered the magician but not the brand. However if they did their follow up well (because they scanned many badges) then they very likely were able to generate some sales. They did generate a lot of interest in their booth however.

Old 14th September 2006, 03:55 PM   #5
Ralph

A busy booth with real client can help to generate new clients. A busy booth with non-buyers can be a pain. Talk to your present clients and tell them where your booth will be and ask them to stop by. Have a chair or two in the back of your booth where they can sit and relax, have a bottle of water for them. If they are known in the industry, their presents become your advertising. Contact potential clients and also invite them to stop by. Have the booth manned 100% of the time. Work the floor yourself. Run into your clients and stop and say hello to them, if they have not been to your booth, re-invite them. Work up some key questions to narrow down interest quickly. You have very little time to establish interest on their part. Make a list of the names of people you want to see. Seek them out.

Get the most comfortable pair of shoes you can get. The chairs are not for you, you need to be on your feet smiling and selling. Hurting feet are hard to smile through. Good luck.

Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2006, 05:04 PM   #6
pete
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
Get the most comfortable pair of shoes you can get. The chairs are not for you, you need to be on your feet smiling and selling. Hurting feet are hard to smile through. Good luck.
The wisest response of the bunch!

You can't make sales sitting in those chairs.

pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2006, 10:58 PM   #7
think!

Default trade show ideas

there is a website called trade-show-advisor that has some pretty good ideas on how to attract potential customers to your booth. Good luck!

think! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2006, 11:32 PM   #8
east2west
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to east2west

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
A busy booth with real client can help to generate new clients. A busy booth with non-buyers can be a pain.

So very true.

http://www.azattacks.com
east2west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2006, 08:53 PM   #9
UAS

You can try a large cash giveaway. There is a company called odds on promotions that handles contest insurance giveaways, and for about $1000 you can buy a safe that people can try to crack for a chance to win $50000. It is all legit as this is the same company that owns the hole in one promotions. But you get a certain amount of entires into the safe 5000 i believe for $1000. We used this recently and got a great response for people to try to crack the safe.

Email me and I can set you up with my account manager there, might be able to get you a little deal

UAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2006, 11:39 PM   #10
Dream-Do-Repeat

Default Differentiate moderately

Conventions are normally a sea of sameness. Sensory overload + Nimloc displays. How can you stand out in that crowd without being just plain "wierd?" That's a tricky question. Push the novel envelope too far and folks will avoid your booth.

Try focusing on the positive customer aspects of your product. What does it promise -- more time? fewer hassles? greater security? After you've made your list of positive outcomes, pick one and brainstorm what that benefit would look like, sound like (or, if you're really daring -- smell / taste like). Put a few of these elements into your display. Chances are you don't have time to redesign your space at this point in time. You're looking only to embellish the professional display you have put together already.

A little of this goes a long way. Don't over-do it. As Edward Tufte, a noted professor in communication design, says you are looking to build in a "just noticeable difference" that will set your space apart just enough to bring people in. Then, you work your magic.

This is an obtuse suggestion. I hope it helps supplement the good advice you've gotten so far. Your question has generated alot of interest. Thanks for the post.

Gordon

Dream-Do-Repeat is offline   Reply With Quote