Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > Trade Shows, Conferences & Expos
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29th January 2005, 10:50 AM   #1
obinstitute
VIP Contributor

Default HELP! Need Ideas for Expo

My business has been approved for a presentation and a booth at a Women's Expo in March. There will be a lot of people there who sell tangible products and will, I'm certain, have lots of give-aways.

As a business which sells experience, assisting people to create successful online businesses, what do you suggest we could do to attract traffic at the booth?

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Michele

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 29th January 2005, 12:10 PM   #2
David Wallace

Search Engine Guide Blogger

For a small budget, some sort of candy like tootsie roll pops always gets me to at least stop by a booth. If you have a larger budget and wish to collect names, a drawing of some sort is always good.

Old 29th January 2005, 02:32 PM   #3
obinstitute
VIP Contributor

Thanks David!

I should have elaborated...we are going to have a couple of drawings ( jewelry donated by my other company ) and I like the tootsie roll idea.

We are also thinking about take-aways like bookmarks, door hangers for home offices, ....other ideas?

Old 1st February 2005, 09:35 PM   #4
mktgbiz

Default Traffic at booth

Michele,
If you have access to the attendees mailing addresses you can mail them information about your co. and your special drawings ahead of time.

If you don't have access to that information you'll have to do something at the show to draw them to your booth.

A couple of ways to attract traffic to your booth is to give something to the people that stop by so when they leave your booth,they have something to remeber you by AND MOST IMPORTANTLY SOMETHING EVERYBODY ELSE AT THE EXPO WILL SEE!!!! And hopefully when everybody else sees it they'll want to come to your booth for it.

The one thing that comes to mind is a custom imprinted walking stick (neon in color)I happento sell these type of itmes for a living if you want to contact me.

Here's what is accomplished:
1). People USE them at the show because they can't be put in the FREE tote bag somebody else gave them.
2). Everybody else at the show sees people with your walking stick and asks where did you get that? Result people come to your booth for the walking stick AND THEN YOU DO THE REST!!!!!
3) When they get home they are reminded of you again, because the item is so big.

Please feel free to contact me.
Best Wishes,
Scott (mktgbiz)
727-733-8387

mktgbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2005, 09:53 PM   #5
obinstitute
VIP Contributor

Wow! That's an interesting idea!

Thanks. I'll run that by my colleagues.

Michele

Old 1st February 2005, 10:43 PM   #6
bragadocchio
VIP Contributor

One of the vendors at the last expo I attended gave away stuffed plush red crabs. The expo was at the inner harbor at Baltimore, so it was something that fit in with the locale.

Yes, people swarmed their booth. And yes, you saw a lot of people carrying them around, and people were asking where they got them.

I've seen small stuffed bears, with imprinted t-shirts that people might like, and they might hold onto for themselves, or for their kids. Put a website address on it, and you might get some online visits, too.

When at booths, some vendors had some pretty nice presentations and case studies on CD. I did take some CDs home with me, and watched their presentations. One of them was good enough (a Philadephia judge explaining how a case management system had a positive impact upon the operation of his court), that I shared it with a number of people.

There are people who specialize in decorating booths for expositions, and there are some books on the market on the suject. If you do a search at Amazon.com for:

expositions marketing

you'll see at least a couple that look like they might be helpful.

There are some nice blogs on maketing to women on the web. Here are links to a couple I read. Their authors may have covered the topic, or might be interested in writing about it:

http://windsormedia.blogs.com/

http://www.wonderbranding.com/

Last edited by bragadocchio; 1st February 2005 at 10:44 PM. Reason: typo
bragadocchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2005, 06:33 AM   #7
wayne h

A draw for a substantial prize (at least as substantial as you can afford, barter for, or get a sponsor for) is a great way to attract leads. While many will only be interested in the draw, the trick is to have them interested in your product or service, prior to entering the draw.

Another idea is to have visitors sign up for your free e-mail newsletter if you have one. The expanded list of opted in names will give you a much larger base for future sales via e-mail contacts. Of course, your e-mail newsletter will contain some very useful information so they want to open it. Avoid an all sales all the time newsletter. They simply get deleted or unsubscribed.

Trade shows, conferences, and conventions are not about making sales on the floor, but about building contacts, networking, and leads creation for the future. Getting names, e-mails, phone numbers, and snail mails of prospects is one way to achieve those goals.

Wayne Hurlbert

wayne h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2005, 11:48 AM   #8
obinstitute
VIP Contributor

Thanks Wayne & Bill!

More great ideas! I knew this was the place to ask!

I'll also check out those blogs

Michele

Old 2nd February 2005, 03:35 PM   #9
solterrabooks

Default Ideas for traffic/drawings

Hi -
We've done some events and add to our list each time. Figure out your goals first. For example, we have tried to take orders at events where people didn't know us - and that didn't work out. So, is it a selling event or a marketing event?

Assuming it's a marketing event, try some of these:

1. Drawing/Give away - substantial enough to draw interest - but not too expensive. You'll be cramped for space for people to enter - but you want their info. So, print up lots of 3"x4" entry forms with the name/info you want. We just printed these ourselves and cut up the sheets. Then, got to Staples and get a few (3-5) of the small clipboards - and lots of pens. We find people like being able to pickup the clipboard -write their info and pass it back. Makes great use of the corridor space and you can have 4-5 people entering at once without using surface space.

2. Signage - we're still getting this down - but definitely invest in a banner - especially if you want to do more. We got an 8' banner made at kinkos (last minute) but I'm sure you can find cheaper if you've got time. These hang up easily - make sure people can tell quickly what you're about.

3. signage - other - have poster boards or other big, readable signs that get attention.

4. see if the show people offer a lead tracking system - you rent the machine - and people scan their cards they get when they register. Gives you a database with all info. Obviates need for 1 above. I do a national show each year with this service and get 1-2K names scanned in 4 days!

5. Handouts - consider printing a 4x6" postcard with your company info, product info and a special coupon for first website purchases. I had 5,000 of these printed with full color on one side - and then ran them through the laser printer for special coupons for each event - works great - cheap handouts - and people at shows like it because it's lite!

Hope this all helps - let us know how it goes!

David

solterrabooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2005, 04:43 PM   #10
obinstitute
VIP Contributor

Thanks for the ideas!

I hadn't even though of practical things like having clipboards. We are working on the signage. It's really difficult for us to put in a few words what we do so people understand the whole range of our offering but we will succeed!

Thanks again for sharing your experience with shows!

Michele