Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Ideas Forum Info > Questions About the Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24th June 2005, 01:03 PM   #1
beluga

Default I received this PM from DRGIA24....

...these Nigerian scams have been going on for sometime now!

beluga is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 24th June 2005, 01:18 PM   #2
Robert
Administrator

(I edited out the content of the spam they sent)

Hi beluga,

Thanks for posting about this. Looks this jerk spammed 47 members.

My apologies to all that received this junk. I'm not sure how to prevent this but he/she has been banned so they won't be able to do it again.

Old 7th July 2005, 03:28 AM   #3
Paul Martin

Default Nigeria's Top Industry

I actually read a very interesting article in USA Today a while back that chronicled the history of the Nigerian scams. Apparently, there were much better employment opportunities in Lagos (the capital city) back during the 70's & 80's as a result of the Cold War. When all that ended and there was no more US & Soviet money flowing in, a lot of educated folks didn't have any way to use their education. Many of them, rather than turning to honest professions like teaching or taking up legal entrepreneurial ventures, instead turned to crime in the form of scams.

Now, this was before the World Wide Web, so most of their scams were by snail-mail, with a smattering of telephone work as well. A lot of these scams involved getting people to physically go to Nigeria. One guy, an ex-policeman and P.I. of all things, was fooled into bringing $20,000 to Lagos to bail some rich, innocent enemy of the state out of jail, supposedly in exchange for something like $1 million. He flew into Lagos, bailed the guy out with the 20 grand, and then they took him to the guy's mansion to give him his reward. But when the got there they just ran into the house and locked the door. Dude was stuck in Lagos minus his $20,000 in savings. And since everybody around had an AK-47, there wasn't a thing he could do about it, either.

Anyway, with the advent of email it all really took off. Since you can send the emails for free, it's totally fine if you only get 1 in a million to produce results. Now they've got thousands of different variations of their scams, and every day a new sucker goes online and buys it, while the rest of us are hitting the delete key and configuring out spam filters.

I can tell you this: I'm not planning on booking any vacations to Nigeria.

Paul Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2005, 11:09 PM   #4
Bno1manager

Default It is our responsibility to share our knowlege of known scams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Martin
I actually read a very interesting article in USA Today a while back that chronicled the history of the Nigerian scams. Apparently, there were much better employment opportunities in Lagos (the capital city) back during the 70's & 80's as a result of the Cold War. When all that ended and there was no more US & Soviet money flowing in, a lot of educated folks didn't have any way to use their education. Many of them, rather than turning to honest professions like teaching or taking up legal entrepreneurial ventures, instead turned to crime in the form of scams.

Now, this was before the World Wide Web, so most of their scams were by snail-mail, with a smattering of telephone work as well. A lot of these scams involved getting people to physically go to Nigeria. One guy, an ex-policeman and P.I. of all things, was fooled into bringing $20,000 to Lagos to bail some rich, innocent enemy of the state out of jail, supposedly in exchange for something like $1 million. He flew into Lagos, bailed the guy out with the 20 grand, and then they took him to the guy's mansion to give him his reward. But when the got there they just ran into the house and locked the door. Dude was stuck in Lagos minus his $20,000 in savings. And since everybody around had an AK-47, there wasn't a thing he could do about it, either.

Anyway, with the advent of email it all really took off. Since you can send the emails for free, it's totally fine if you only get 1 in a million to produce results. Now they've got thousands of different variations of their scams, and every day a new sucker goes online and buys it, while the rest of us are hitting the delete key and configuring out spam filters.

I can tell you this: I'm not planning on booking any vacations to Nigeria.
This is why I posted the scam email I received in order to help educate others so they do not get caught or ripped-off.
The problem is...for every scam that stops working, they just change it up to something new. Just like computer viruses.
We all need to keep getting the word out. It's the only defense.

Lori Lotko

Bno1manager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2005, 04:21 PM   #5
iie

I think it is important to look at the big picture in our responses to this scam issue which I personally regard as a scorge and a huge image problem for Nigeria and indeed Nigerians.

The population of Nigeria today is in excess of 120 Million comprises over 450 ethnic groups / languages which by all means make Nigeria a huge country. It is therefore not an over statement to say that majority of Nigerians are decent people who engage in very decent means of livelihood. I doubt very much if those involved in these scams are up to 2 percent of the population.

It is true that there have been very difficult economic challenges for Nigerians but it is also true that these challenges much as they are self inflicted through poor leadership and gross mismanagement of the huge natural resources of the country by successive goverments, are not perculiar to Nigeria. Every country on the planet is being forced to adjust to emerging socio-economic realities which when broken down into daily living translates into some forms of hardship or the other for its population.

It is therefore a weak knelled approach to point at the poor state of the Nigerian economy as the reason for what is actually happening.

Every collection of people would have its fair share of good and bad people, decent and non decent. The good news is that there are adequate provisions in the Nigerian penal code that should take care of these nefarious activities.

The problem to my mind arises from the very essence of these crimes. There is the scammer and ofcourse the gullible and greedy victims who want to make unbelievable returns on very un speakable investment, which makes it impossible for them to enforce their legal rights.

The antedote to my mind is for people to moderate their greed and avoid any business lead that involves payment of ransome or is an invitation to unreasonable business returns with inconmesurate effeort or investment.

I am proud to be a Nigerian earning very decent living and am sure thare are very many Nigerians like me.

iie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2005, 05:18 PM   #6
Robert
Administrator

Welcome to the forum, iie! We're glad to have you here.

Old 27th July 2005, 09:41 AM   #7
iie

It is my pleasure to be here and look forward a warm, friendly and mutually beneficial community.

I run an oil & gas company in Lagos, Nigeria

iie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2005, 11:01 AM   #8
Paul Martin

Default CNN.com Article

There is a good article on this topic on CNN.com today:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/interne....ap/index.html

- Paul

Paul Martin is offline   Reply With Quote