Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th July 2012, 09:43 AM   #1
Mike.Bean
VIP Contributor

Default E-Commerce Fixing Duplicate Titles Means Ruining Keyword Relevance For My Site?!

I think this question is a little more difficult than any of my previous one's and a little bit harder to explain.

I have read many articles on this topic but I think my question varies a little bit from anything anyone's asked or answered in those articles.

I'm trying to fix the duplicate titles of my site and doing this is ruining my Site's relevance of the word. For an example:

SAE-without-Flange-Bearing-with-OD-1-3-8-c293.htm

Changing this to:

OD-1-3-8-without-flange-c293.htm

(this is after they know their in the SAE Bearing Section)

This is taking out SAE Bearing in every last product title, making the site lose it's overall keyword relevance of that term.

It feels like I'm fixing one problem and creating another.

Making an SAE Without Flange Bearings a product & making the OD size an option, is not an option for me because they all have very helpful pictures that will enhance user experience.

Both, The description will be changed & the title, there are to many of the same.

http://www.wheelchairparts.com/store...rings-c244.htm

I have changed the titles and urls of these categories & they previously all read:

SAE With Flange Bearing ID 1/4"

& so on

which way is going to be helping me more!?

www.mediabean.biz

www.philosophyroundtable.com
Mike.Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 18th July 2012, 11:39 AM   #2
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

First off, what you're showing there as examples are file names, not titles.

The title tag is important for SEO. You want the title tag (in the head portion of your page code) to reflect the contents of the page. If the page is about an SAE bearing (or whatever), then the title should have those words in it.

As long as each page has something different on it, the title (being specific to the contents of that page) will be different. It's not a problem if the titles have some words duplicated, as long as those words are actually relevant to the contents of the page.

The search engines WANT titles that are relevant and reflect what's on the page. They don't expect you to leave out relevant words or start making up weird synonyms.

Page file names, on the other hand, are less important. Not that they don't count at all, but they're just not as big a factor as the page title.

And, again, the search engines are not going to have a problem if your page file names duplicate some words, as long as the words are relevant to the actual content of the page.

As a rule of thumb, any time you find yourself doing something that doesn't make sense, something that you think makes your site worse simply "for SEO purposes," it's something the search engines don't want you to be doing in the first place.

There are an awful lot of people out there peddling an awful lot of hokum in the name of "SEO." Most of them are just parroting a half-understood version of something they read somewhere and have never tested anything for themselves. And in many cases what they read was simply somebody else parroting something they read (and probably only partially understood) from somewhere else. And so on and so forth, stretching back for years.

Bottom line, there's a lot of misinformation, outdated advice and just plain crap floating around out there, and a lot of really TERRIBLE advice.

Do what's really, truly, honestly best for your human visitors and you can't go wrong.

If you haven't already, you might want to check out this SEO Guide from Google: http://support.google.com/webmasters...n&answer=35291

--Torka

Old 18th July 2012, 01:03 PM   #3
Mike.Bean
VIP Contributor

Well Google's crawlers are finding these as duplicate titles and they must not like it because I'm finding this out with Google's own Webmaster Tools.

I'm talking about the category titles which therefore affect the URL, (which is what I have shown just without the site name in it) Not title tags. That still is making the keyword less relevant to my entire site though.

So what is more important having less duplicate titles or having a keyword less relevant throughout the entire site, even though it will still be relevant in the main category. But also less relevant in the deeper product pages, which I'm not sure if that matters (very much anyway) seeings how you will rarely get an actual product in the top of the serps.

www.mediabean.biz

www.philosophyroundtable.com
Mike.Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2012, 11:27 AM   #4
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Just because the automated warning system in Webmaster Tools alerts you to a potential issue, this doesn't mean it's actually an issue.

Since you started seeing these warnings, has your site traffic decreased? Do you get traffic and sales from the keywords you're targeting?

Google does not want you to make your site worse. The automated warnings are designed to help you make your site better. If for some reason because of special circumstances on your site the changes make your site worse, ignore the warnings.

That said, I'm still confused on what your URLs have to do with your titles. You should have a custom-written title for each page, which should not have anything to do with the file name. If Google is warning you about duplicate titles on your pages, changing the URLs should not have any effect. If it does, then it sounds as though your titles are being automatically generated by your content management system... in which case, I would recommend you fix that (or have your programmer or webmaster fix it).

Beyond that, as I said above, the URLs are a relatively minor aspect of optimization. Simply putting keywords in your URLs (or taking them out), absent of any other changes to your site, is unlikely to have any measurable effect on your site traffic.

--Torka ropeller: