Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th May 2007, 09:54 AM   #1
krtup

Question Site Map & Page Titles

The content on our site is user-generated and ever-changing, making it nearly impossible to create unique page titles for each and every piece of content that gets posted on our site. But we do have a site-map that is indexed that includes all of the content including page titles and meta data that is unique to that content.

When viewed from outside of our site, the unique page title appears. (i.e. if you google "market cafe, chico, ca", and click on our site (local elements), the page title will be unique to that user's content). However, if you searched from within our site, the page title is static. Does this matter?

Will having the sitemap make up for the lack of unique page titles from within our site? Or does it not matter since the page titles are unique when searched from outside or site?

krtup is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 11th May 2007, 12:29 PM   #2
Logan
Administrator

Typically, I would want to serve the search engines and users the same thing. One concern that I have, are both versions indexed by google or other search engines. For example, while your page with the unique title tag ranks and is included obviously - is your page without the unique title tag also included (even if it doesn't rank). Additionally, are they presented at different urls. My concern, so far based on what I understand, is related to duplicate content being published to the search engines.

Old 11th May 2007, 03:32 PM   #3
krtup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
My concern, so far based on what I understand, is related to duplicate content being published to the search engines.
I never even thought about whether or not it might be duplicate content.

The content appears at two different URLs. Not exactly duplicate content, but similar. One list all of the coupons for that particular vendor, the other lists all of the coupons that appear for a particular keyword search from within the site. Is that a problem?

Old 11th May 2007, 04:40 PM   #4
Logan
Administrator

Maybe duplicate content isn't the 'best' way to describe. I think a better way to describe it would be "content contained within".

Quote:
The content appears at two different URLs.
If it is the same content that appears at two different URLS, that is a concern to me. I'm not sure, but what you describe is not the same content where you could find xyz in one page and then also xyz in the other page. Instead you are serving two different things.

Am I correct, your visitors receive one thing while the search engines receive another - including unique url/title tags/content/etc?

Old 15th May 2007, 01:44 PM   #5
krtup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Maybe duplicate content isn't the 'best' way to describe. I think a better way to describe it would be "content contained within".

If it is the same content that appears at two different URLS, that is a concern to me. I'm not sure, but what you describe is not the same content where you could find xyz in one page and then also xyz in the other page. Instead you are serving two different things.

Am I correct, your visitors receive one thing while the search engines receive another - including unique url/title tags/content/etc?

I don't think we're serving two different sets of information to the visitors and the search engines, but maybe this is a discussion I need to have with our lead developer to really understand.

Here's the best example I can think of:

If I search for coupons for "market cafe" in "Chico, CA" from our home page, this URL is returned and it lists 5 coupons for Market Cafe in Chico, CA.
http://www.localelements.com/coupons/get_coupons
The text says, "5 coupons in Chico, CA / market cafe"

If I google "Market Cafe, Chico CA" the #1 result in the SERPS is:
http://www.localelements.com/coupons...rom_outside/37
If I click on that link it takes me to the same 5 coupons, but the text on the page is different. It says, "You are currently viewing Active Coupons for
Market Cafe and Coffee House located in Chico, CA." Also the page title is different.

What do you think? Are we hurting ourselves by serving up the info this way?