Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Local Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th April 2015, 04:41 PM   #1
renault

Default New To Retail And New To The Forum

Hi all. I am new to the forum and also new to retail. I owned an industrial wholesale business for 30 years and have been retired for the last 10. I decided to turn my model train hobby into a small retail business and will be opening in two weeks. The help I seek is with advertising. Where should I start, I hope to draw local customers and will get involved with internet sales at a later date and will then get a web site or should I have one now. I am a total virgin when it comes to advertising as in my last business it was not necessary. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Nick
Nick's Vintage Trains & Treasures

renault is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 10th April 2015, 07:36 AM   #2
tuition

Welcome Nick.

Any advertising and marketing is going to have to start with a customer profile. Who is your customer? What do they like? What else do they like? Where do they hang out? How can you reach them? How much will it cost in time and money to get to them?

Good luck on your biz.

Greg

tuition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2015, 12:18 AM   #3
MarketingDoctor
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to MarketingDoctor

Arrow Answers to your question

Greg's right — the first priority is to identify your target audience and you do that by identifying their unmet needs (needs define markets).

The next priority is your OFFER.

Learn more here: How to Win More Market Share

Download a lot of valuable, useful material from here (members only, but membership is free on request):
https://www.facebook.com/groups/themarketingdoctor/

Free 30-minute webinar replay: The 7 Magic Ms of Mesmerising Market Communications

Download the worksheets from here: Webinar Worksheets for 7 Magic Ms

Last edited by MarketingDoctor; 12th April 2015 at 02:45 AM.
MarketingDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2015, 01:56 AM   #4
MarketingDoctor
VIP Contributor

Arrow Build your #1 asset: your LIST!

Your next priority is to begin building an email list of prospective buyers. Preferably, choose a service provider that offers the ability to segment your list to identify buyers/customers (to target with loyalty rewards).

Then begin building a solid presence in the model railway niche on social media — particularly on Facebook and Google+.

Focus your efforts on building a community of loyal fans, using Facebook Groups and Google+ Communities.

Yes, create fan pages, but use them to funnel new members into your Facebook Group and Google+ Community, where you can actually reach them and establish 2-way dialogue with them.

Your REAL content and substance — and offers, rewards, etc — are behind the closed doors of your groups.

If you do all this intelligently, you can actually do without a web site of your own, even to selling your products online via your Facebook Group.

One of the best resources online for free info on using Facebook in this way is adespresso.com’s blog. Start here:
Lead Generation with Facebook Ads – The Definitive Guide

Last edited by MarketingDoctor; 12th April 2015 at 02:34 AM.
Old 12th April 2015, 02:26 AM   #5
MarketingDoctor
VIP Contributor

Arrow Getting yourself found online

Then, after all that, get your business listed in as many of the top online business directories as possible.

Start with Google My Business. Because Google's share of ALL search is between 60% and 70% from month to month, it's become the “gold standard” for all business directory listings… for the simple reason that, unless all other directory listings are identical to your listing in Google My Business, Google’s search algorithm will discount them!

Download a free copy of this handy Fast Start Guide (sorry — it's written for Australia, but it’s still relevant everywhere, except for the definitive directories list. Use this one instead… includes lists for most English-speaking countries):
The Definitive List of Local Search Citations
Click here to download, FREE.
Hope this helps you get started.

Last edited by MarketingDoctor; 12th April 2015 at 02:38 AM.
Old 13th April 2015, 12:21 PM   #6
lawebdesign

Advertising depends on your budget. Model trains are a very niche category so you will probably need to reach people outside of your general geographic area which can get expensive very quickly. If you do not have the means to measure the results of such expenditures, it's probably not a wise investment.

You can try to start by reaching out to people in your area with local papers or even local paper article write up. It's an area that's quirky enough that a local paper will probably be willing to do an article about a new model train shop in the area.

You do need a website, not only to sell but to blog to show your expertise in the area. To sustain the business, you will most likely need to sell online at some point soon depending on how much operating reserve you have for the business.

Best of luck!

lawebdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2015, 11:42 AM   #7
mairajassy

Welcome to forum I hope you will get your desire information and knowledge and you will have a great time over here.

mairajassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2015, 12:19 AM   #8
chrisjohn93
VIP Contributor

Welcome to the forum and as you said that you have more then 30 yeas of experience then it is the time to use your experince just use it.

First of all find out your targeted customer in the market.

Try to find out the best way to reach your customer. Use Google adwords to promot your business.

chrisjohn93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2015, 11:02 PM   #9
Local Mixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketingDoctor View Post
except for the definitive directories list. Use this one instead… includes lists for most English-speaking countries):
The Definitive List of Local Search Citations
Click here to download, FREE.[/indent][/indent]
Hope this helps you get started.
I just published a nice lists as well and it includes a Local Directory Finder Tool that includes directories for 93 U.S. cities and 40 industries: https://localmixed.com/local-business-listings/

Last edited by Local Mixed; 3rd June 2015 at 04:00 PM.
Local Mixed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 03:58 PM   #10
Daniel_GA

Hey there Nick. Welcome. There's nothing in the world like following your passion and getting paid to do it. Best of luck.

Daniel_GA is offline   Reply With Quote