Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Local Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th June 2015, 05:06 PM   #11
renault

Just a quick update. I started using my advertising dollars by placing a "Now Open" detailed display ad in the local papers that reach about 39,000 homes. It worked very well, I ask new customers as they come in how they heard about the store so I can keep track of my advertising results. I have shown a net profit for both April and May and have also started retrieving my startup costs. It is a very good feeling watching my account balance going up instead of down. I will have a website up in July if not sooner. I did find that being opened Tuesday through Saturday is at this point costing me business on days off as I am getting calls to show my inventory by appointment on Sundays and Mondays. I don't know if I can handle working 6 or 7 days and I'm not ready for employees yet, is there another solution or suggestion?? I have not tried social media and as noted no website yet but I have been successful on eBay although it is time consuming preparing the listings and packaging. I also found that to me the accounting on eBay sales is very confusing with the eBay and PayPal fees and shipping cost variances. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions and if you have more please post them or send me a note.

Nick

renault is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 16th June 2015, 11:49 AM   #12
Daniel_GA

Hey Nick. Sounds like your heading in the right direction. Although you don't have a site you'd still be doing well to set up a Facebook Business page and a Pinterest and/or G+ social media account for your biz. When you launch your site this summer you can then link those accounts to the site. Every bit of social media presence on the prominent SM channels helps.

As far as your schedule and hours invested it's my experience that for some time you may find yourself working hours/days you would not necessarily opt for. As time goes on and you do grow you may be able to on-board help to free up some time for yourself. Initially however be prepared to put in the work and preparation to reap the benefits later down the road. Best of luck.

Last edited by Daniel_GA; 16th June 2015 at 11:52 AM.
Daniel_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2015, 04:11 PM   #13
lawebdesign

Great update on your venture! Nothing like building something from the ground up with sweat and brains.

On opening hours/days, fine tune it to maximize sales/service customers but keep in mind you can't catch ALL the sales. Trying to do so can quickly turn a fun thing into a heavy chore...which usually results in mentally checking out on the biz. ...I will say model trains...you will probably want to open on Sundays and try to rest another day. For the demographic, I would guess mid week closings OR another way could be tuning the hours assuming you aren't bound by any mall hour requirements.

You didn't mention Craigslist but I would think that's another potential source of customers you could perhaps reach locally but with a wider reach.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted!

lawebdesign is offline   Reply With Quote