Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Just for Fun > Chat
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th January 2015, 06:38 PM   #1
Brynn Thorne

Default Shameless Neighbor

Recently, our community has been to recycling and all sorts of program related to it. There had been a discussion and everyone agreed on having a garbage segregation. We have one neighbor who actively participated in the meeting but I saw him deliberately not doing what he is supposed to do. I feel frustrated that he seems to be all supportive but when no one is looking, he does the other thing. I want to act cool but I can't. Should I let him know that I am aware of what he is really doing?He might feel a little shame by then.

Brynn Thorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 14th January 2015, 08:46 AM   #2
mark41

A more subtle approach would be to take out the trash at the same time he does and segregate it while looking at him. A bit passive-aggressive maybe, but it will send a message without you having to talk to him.

mark41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2015, 03:04 AM   #3
grimdispatcher

Wow your neighbor is weird, right? I guess you've attended a meeting together regarding this waste segregation thing so might as well go straight to the point. Ask him for an update about his commitment with your community's recycling project.

grimdispatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2015, 09:41 AM   #4
Elfen

If he acts in such way you have to talk with him. Maybe he simply doesn't understand what he is doing or he is an ***)

Elfen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2015, 04:32 PM   #5
lawebdesign

Irritating no doubt but I let other people's trash stay their trash...

lawebdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2015, 02:59 PM   #6
Vida Rinaldi

I am sure you are familiar with the saying - I cannot remember the exact words used, but the gist of it is - correct or "scold" in private but praise in public. You may want to approach him directly and tell him that you admire his active participation during the meeting and tell him that he might not be aware that he has some garbage that are not segregated. You never know, he might just be taking out the garbage, but someone else in the household put them in the wrong bag? I don't know ... benefit of the doubt.

Another scenario is during the next meeting, bring up another neighbor that you saw was really segregating, so that you can make people aware that you have your eyes open or that someone is watching. A word of caution though, if you have neighbors that are not too warmed up to the idea of segregating, they might see you as a party-pooper, so get an idea first of what types of neighbors you have.

Vida Rinaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2015, 01:09 AM   #7
Vanessa Morgan

I've got a similar experience though it happened in the workplace and did not involve garbage literally.Shameless neighbors/colleagues are simply a part of our existence. I'd like to look at it positively that my life would simply be boring without them.

Vanessa Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2015, 06:33 AM   #8
Taluk

Yes you should tell him about it. Cause if you do, maybe his shame change his behavior. So, never be late whenever you got a chance to make a little tiny change to society.

Taluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2015, 10:28 PM   #9
grimdispatcher

Your neighbor needs a lesson on integrity. I know the perfect place for him to get some training or session. There are really people nowadays who lack integrity. I mean, I have a neighbor who can't even pick up his dog poop from the ground and he always talks about keeping yards clean.

grimdispatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2015, 03:35 PM   #10
Comm Realtor

Send him a note without your name. See if that works.

Comm Realtor is offline   Reply With Quote