Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Inspiration & Ideas > What Type of Business Should I Start?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 20th April 2015, 11:37 AM   #1
FuchsiaMuffin
Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 6
Default Good Idea?

I have an idea for a business I want to do. Hopefully I can explain this. This is just the basic idea.

I want to have a big place for children (somewhat like Chuck E. Cheese but for older kids), it is themed like a fantasy forest and the workers will be Princesses, Mermaids, Fairies, Magicians, ect. I would also want video games, arcade games, treasure hunts, prizes and so much more. I would want to host tea parties for girls, adventure parties for boys, something fun for coed parties and just parties in general. I'd like do to events like a Carnival event, or Halloween events and other events throughout the year. It wouldn't be just for kids it would be for tweens and teens too. I would also like to do "classes" like a Fantasy Story "class", Knights/Pirates in training "class", How to be a Princess "class". Lastly in the middle is a big tree stage where kids can sing songs and around the tree is tables for kids and parents to eat at.

Phew... Ok. I just wanted to know if this is a good idea or not? I would love to make little children's dream come true. Am I doing this backwards? What would I need to do? What kind of thing is this called? Am I doing/thinking about this way too much? Thanks!

FuchsiaMuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 20th April 2015, 12:26 PM   #2
Nath
Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuchsiaMuffin View Post
I have an idea for a business I want to do. Hopefully I can explain this. This is just the basic idea.

I want to have a big place for children (somewhat like Chuck E. Cheese but for older kids), it is themed like a fantasy forest and the workers will be Princesses, Mermaids, Fairies, Magicians, ect. I would also want video games, arcade games, treasure hunts, prizes and so much more. I would want to host tea parties for girls, adventure parties for boys, something fun for coed parties and just parties in general. I'd like do to events like a Carnival event, or Halloween events and other events throughout the year. It wouldn't be just for kids it would be for tweens and teens too. I would also like to do "classes" like a Fantasy Story "class", Knights/Pirates in training "class", How to be a Princess "class". Lastly in the middle is a big tree stage where kids can sing songs and around the tree is tables for kids and parents to eat at.

Phew... Ok. I just wanted to know if this is a good idea or not? I would love to make little children's dream come true. Am I doing this backwards? What would I need to do? What kind of thing is this called? Am I doing/thinking about this way too much? Thanks!
I find the idea very appealing and can see it doing very well. Parents are willing to do many things just to make their children happy - means they're willing to pay. And since parents usually work, they are able to pay.

But as I understand this would be a physical venue, right? If I were you I'd contact parents within the location where the venue might be and ask them if this is something they'd want to visit with their kids. Not just once, but multiple times. If you get many yeses, you might move to the next phase.

Nath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2015, 12:39 PM   #3
FuchsiaMuffin
Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nath View Post
But as I understand this would be a physical venue, right? If I were you I'd contact parents within the location where the venue might be and ask them if this is something they'd want to visit with their kids. Not just once, but multiple times. If you get many yeses, you might move to the next phase.
A venue.... That's the problem... I don't know if the venue should be huge or not. I'd wish to be two stories. Like from the second floor you can see the first floor. I'd like to set this up in Columbus, OH or near Columbus, OH. I go there frequently and go near Columbus, but I do not know any huge venues. Where can I look up venues?

How can I contact parents? Can/should I make a servery for parents that live in Columbus or near Columbus?

FuchsiaMuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2015, 12:58 PM   #4
Nath
Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuchsiaMuffin View Post
A venue.... That's the problem... I don't know if the venue should be huge or not. I'd wish to be two stories. Like from the second floor you can see the first floor. I'd like to set this up in Columbus, OH or near Columbus, OH. I go there frequently and go near Columbus, but I do not know any huge venues. Where can I look up venues?

How can I contact parents? Can/should I make a servery for parents that live in Columbus or near Columbus?
I would focus on validating the idea from parents to see if there's a potential. Then I'd ask them if they have some specific visions they'd like to fulfill (how big, what services, special events, opening hours, adventures for kids, healthy food court, ...). You might find insights you wouldn't have thought of by yourself and that could easily differentiate you from a competition.

Parents are easy to spot everywhere. You can contact them in coffee shop, in a restaurant, in similar places like you plan to create, on a public playground etc. Get creative

Nath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2015, 01:36 PM   #5
FuchsiaMuffin
Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nath View Post
I would focus on validating the idea from parents to see if there's a potential. Then I'd ask them if they have some specific visions they'd like to fulfill (how big, what services, special events, opening hours, adventures for kids, healthy food court, ...). You might find insights you wouldn't have thought of by yourself and that could easily differentiate you from a competition.

Parents are easy to spot everywhere. You can contact them in coffee shop, in a restaurant, in similar places like you plan to create, on a public playground etc. Get creative
Thank You! This was very helpful! I hope this goes well! I'll see if my aunt approves this and my uncle (my aunt is business major and my uncle has a young son).

I was doing this because I go to a vocational school and this would be great info.

Again thank you!

FuchsiaMuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2015, 01:52 PM   #6
DantheMan
VIP Contributor
 

Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Cypress, TX
Posts: 284
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuchsiaMuffin View Post
I have an idea for a business I want to do. Hopefully I can explain this. This is just the basic idea.
Why do you want a business?
Why do you want to do this?
Why are you unsure if you can explain it?
Why is this just the basic idea, is it more complicated?

DantheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2015, 02:02 PM   #7
DantheMan
VIP Contributor
 

Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Cypress, TX
Posts: 284
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuchsiaMuffin View Post
Phew... Ok. I just wanted to know if this is a good idea or not? I would love to make little children's dream come true. Am I doing this backwards? What would I need to do? What kind of thing is this called? Am I doing/thinking about this way too much? Thanks!
Why Phew and is this backwards?
Backwards is great (end to start means you have a big picture) where's your start?

Why make little children's dreams come true?
Why are you thinking about this way too much?

DantheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2015, 02:29 PM   #8
FuchsiaMuffin
Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DantheMan View Post
Why do you want a business?
Why do you want to do this?
Why are you unsure if you can explain it?
Why is this just the basic idea, is it more complicated?
I want a business because I think I have the potential to start one and I think I can do well running one (of course with education)

I want to do this because originally I wanted to do a concept cafe and I was thinking backwards about it and I just put more thought into it.

When I have an idea for something I do, I open word and puke all my ideas into the word document. Then I clean it up and delete the dumb or unnecessary ideas. This is the basic idea because this is all I have for now and I do not want to spew any more ideas until I think the general idea is ok.

FuchsiaMuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2015, 02:37 PM   #9
FuchsiaMuffin
Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DantheMan View Post
Why Phew and is this backwards?
Backwards is great (end to start means you have a big picture) where's your start?

Why make little children's dreams come true?
Why are you thinking about this way too much?
I wrote "phew" because I had a lot to say lol... I feel like I'm doing this backwards, because I came up with the concept first and not the important stuff first.

I wish to make children's dreams because I love to see children's faces light up. I love to see them smile. I like their enjoyment! When a child's happy and I made them happy, that feels good to me inside.

I felt like I had a great idea, looking back it looks like I thought about this way too much.

FuchsiaMuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2015, 04:58 PM   #10
DantheMan
VIP Contributor
 

Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Cypress, TX
Posts: 284
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuchsiaMuffin View Post
I want a business because I think I have the potential to start one and I think I can do well running one (of course with education)
A good answer for why you think you can run a business.
What is your biggest reason for wanting to start a business?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuchsiaMuffin View Post
I want to do this because originally I wanted to do a concept cafe and I was thinking backwards about it and I just put more thought into it.
I think you had a more relevant and better answer regarding children's smiles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuchsiaMuffin View Post
When I have an idea for something I do, I open word and puke all my ideas into the word document. Then I clean it up and delete the dumb or unnecessary ideas. This is the basic idea because this is all I have for now and I do not want to spew any more ideas until I think the general idea is ok.
Is this making you sick? "Puke" and "spew" sounds like you are struggling. If not, it's good you write down your ideas before you forget them. Don't delete them, copy/paste onto something else to organize. You may realize an idea was a good one, later on.

Have you done any of this before? What experience do you have for each?
Are you good at doing this? What or who tells you so?
What do you need in order to get more experience or better? Are you an event planner?

Are you obsessed with this idea because it excites you so much you get energized just from thinking about it? That the type of answer you should have given. Now you're thinking it's a bad idea because you thought about it too much?

Try to break eveything down by what you can/need/want to do first, second, etc.
What can you do now? What do you need to do now? What do you want to do now? All of course working backwards from when you can/need/want to open up for business until today.

Check into the things the others have mentioned. Why is that location your focus? What would be a better location? Market research will help support your answers.

It's easy for someone to say if an idea is good or if it isn't because it's only an idea. All ideas are good until proven otherwise. What you want to do is (if it's a bad idea) prove it's bad as quickly as possible. If it's a good idea, you want to find your target users/customers as quickly as possible.

If you have a team to build your business, share the workload. Find everyone's strengths and weaknesses, build on the strengths and eliminate or improve on the most critical weaknesses.

DantheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   

Bookmarks


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Radio Ad A Good Idea? beefjerkydiet Radio Advertising 10 8th May 2009 08:46 AM
Taco In A Bag - TIB dielonxl What Type of Business Should I Start? 5 14th May 2008 11:05 PM
Is Doing Business With The Usage Of Blogs A Good Idea? calynne Blogs and Blogging 4 1st March 2007 04:05 PM
Brochures To Advertise Business - Good Idea/bad Idea? rolyaty Direct Mail 3 19th December 2006 03:25 PM



Thread Tools

Get Updates
RSS Feeds:
RSS Feed for What Type of Business Should I Start? RSS for this Category Only: What Type of Business Should I Start?

RSS Feed for Small Business Ideas Forum RSS for Entire Forum
Forum Rules


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Small Business Ideas Forum


 
At Your Business - Small Business Directory
Free Business Forms - Prewritten Documents
 
Search Engine Guide
Small business guide to search marketing

 
Small Business Brief
Fetching the Best Small Business Info


Free Links - Free Advertising
Free Guide - Online Directory



Advertise your business here
Contact us for more details!


Semantic Juice
Register now to access free Quick SEO service!


Rocket Lawyer
Sign up for free 7 day trial. Boost your biz!


Buy UPC Codes
Get your products listed online!




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018 - Privacy