Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Viral Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 4th May 2007, 11:31 PM   #1
Chuck M

Question Is Viral A Catch 22?

From what I have been reading, it seems that viral marketing is a great and inexpensive way to promote your website. However, it also seems that you can get into trouble for spamming...therefore it's a bit of a catch 22. So, I'm wondering if I can send an e-mail to my freinds and family with a short article/story/content about my niche/site (not a direct sales pitch) and include a link to my site and add a P.S. at the end of the e-mail to "please foward this to your friends"?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Regards,

Chuck

Chuck M is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 5th May 2007, 09:52 PM   #2
ideas2earn

Chuck

Thats exactly how I started my newsletter. I wrote to 250 friends and acquaintances, explained who I was incase they had forgotten me or didn't recognise the email address and introduced my service. I also explained that I would keep their email addresses private and that they could unsubscribe any time.

About half of those original list have opted out but many of them stayed for a surprisingly long time before doing so, and more importantly about half of them still get the newsletter every day.

My advise is go for it, be polite, don't sell on your list and when someone wants out, get them off your list ASAP.

good luck.

ideas2earn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2007, 04:31 PM   #3
wisealma

Send a message via AIM to wisealma

Viral marketing isn't spam. You create something extreme, or funny and let them do the marketing for you. You merely created a product that was a hit and got passed around. If you are having to spam it everywhere, then it isn't viral.

Put it up on digg.com, youtube.com etc and see if it ends up on myspace, and on bloggs etc. Then you will know if its viral or not.

Wise

wisealma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2007, 12:27 AM   #4
WebDrops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck M View Post
From what I have been reading, it seems that viral marketing is a great and inexpensive way to promote your website. However, it also seems that you can get into trouble for spamming...therefore it's a bit of a catch 22. So, I'm wondering if I can send an e-mail to my freinds and family with a short article/story/content about my niche/site (not a direct sales pitch) and include a link to my site and add a P.S. at the end of the e-mail to "please foward this to your friends"?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Regards,

Chuck
hey Chuck... this is a superb idea... i never thought of sending out newsletters to my friends /family first and see what happens... I guess i'll definitely try this out... thx

WebDrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2007, 11:45 AM   #5
BringMeCash.com

Default The True Viral Marketing Definition

Many people talk about viral marketing without knowing what it is.
For the ones that need a definition of the term, here it is:

Viral marketing is defined as “any advertising that propagates itself the way viruses do”.

E.g. When Hotmail users send emails, they “infect” the recipients with the tagline at the bottom of their messages.

Viral marketing denotes any strategy that encourages individuals to pass on a marketing message to others.

“Viral”! Viral marketing is also called V-Marketing, organic marketing, word-of-mouth marketing or word-of-mouse marketing.

Hope this help to clear the mind of many.
Good Luck in your online business.

BringMeCash.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2007, 12:44 PM   #6
jaq

Like some other people have said, "viral" doesn't necessarily mean "spam" -- it's just a way of describing how information about a service gets spread from individual to individual. Often, too, the "viral" aspect of something has nothing to do with the company itself (like a funny youtube video promoting Special K, or whatever).

jaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2007, 06:41 AM   #7
mktgbiz

Chuck -
Great topic!!

My first thought on viral marketing angle is...............viral marketing can't be forced or it's not really viral. ;-)

In additon, asking friends and family to forward emails usually doesn't work, because we humans don't usually like to play the "email forwarding game."

However, I will say contacting your friends and family and announcing your site is a super first step. I do it all the time. As a matter of fact I just did it with a current site I have that has been redesigned.

-

www.holidaycardwebiste.com/getmorebiznow
mktgbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2007, 06:56 AM   #8
flamenmajore

hey the key here is to send something noteworthy to ensure your friends and family dont feel like what you have sent them is rubbish. give them a reason to forward it on. at this point when they forward it on they are doing the same thing you did when you send your email to them.

if you don't consider your initial email spam, then there is no reason to consider there forwarded message spam.

flamenmajore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2007, 01:14 PM   #9
Fred333

I think viral is a very useful marketing tool. It will be the wave of the future mark my words.

Fred333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2007, 10:50 AM   #10
Wilks_eye
VIP Contributor

The thing is to bank on something thats VIRAL, something that new, amusing or funny enough in order to have a lifespan in the inbox. Content that would make me want to forward it to other people, then they in turn will send so on so forth. Think out of the box.

Wilks_eye is offline   Reply With Quote