Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24th September 2007, 07:36 PM   #1
Lincoln

Send a message via AIM to Lincoln Send a message via Yahoo to Lincoln
Angry I Hate Google - Did someone sabotage my rankings

Recently I wrote an article outing a scammer who was running several sites claiming natural cures for everything from shingles to genital warts. My post quickly ranked high using a combination of keywords such as "shingles cure" "natural cures scams" etc. Usually his site would be listed in Google, and my post would show up right underneath his, shouting in big words, "SCAM!" I already received an email from someone who had shingles and thanked me for helping her avoid getting ripped off. It was great.

Then a week later, my ranking for those keywords disappeared, completely. I searched 50 pages deep and could no longer find my site like I used too. This person has the first pages of Google littered with his crap sites, and up until now I was the only one countering his claims, then I get the equivalent of being blacklisted from Google? Really frost my cookies.

I'd like to think this is a natural process of how Google ranks websites for keywords and that its cyclic in nature, but considering that I was outing a scammer, I'm suspicious. I wonder if he complained to Google so they could penalize my pages?

Or am I being too paranoid? My other keywords seem to be ok and go up and down as should be expected, but I've never quite seen a drop like this.

*Sigh* I hate Google. Scammer's best friend.

Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 24th September 2007, 09:46 PM   #2
Logan
Administrator

Quote:
I wonder if he complained to Google so they could penalize my pages?
Or am I being too paranoid?
I do not believe the case is a matter of him complaining to google and then they adjusted the rankings based on his complaint. Google just doesn't work that way, and there is no reason to believe they would side with anyone regarding opinions like this when it comes to rankings.

It is commonly reported by many that their rankings change after initially being included. Since this article was new, I suspect it is just part of the normal process. I kind of look at it as when Google first includes a page they make an 'estimate' ... then with time the page(s) go through the normal process of their algorithm to get their actual ranking.

Old 25th September 2007, 09:54 AM   #3
Lincoln

Like I said, I'm paranoid. But remember just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you.

I thought this was just Google's normal cycle of evaluating site ranking for keywords, but I wanted to be sure. I'm using HitTail for keyword optimizing, and it recommended a certain keyphrase regarding this very same topic. I'm going to try it out and see how it fares in the rankings.

Old 25th September 2007, 11:16 AM   #4
solid28
VIP Contributor

Did the spammer g-bomb you? Did he put links from his site on every page, with the same text?

Just feeding your paranoia

Old 25th September 2007, 10:04 PM   #5
Lincoln

Quote:
Originally Posted by solid28 View Post
Did the spammer g-bomb you? Did he put links from his site on every page, with the same text?

Ohhhhh GREAT. Now I have to check all his pages to see if he did.

Old 26th September 2007, 07:22 AM   #6
johnnylew
VIP Contributor

Default What is Hit Tail???

Very interested in how Hit Tail works????

Old 26th September 2007, 08:49 AM   #7
Fred333

I was just reading up on it and it seems like it is just like an analytics program that has real time results.

Fred333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2007, 10:07 AM   #8
Lincoln

HitTail is a little more than your typical analytics program. What it does is take all your search engine based traffic, extract the keywords that lead them to your site and then performs an algorithmic analysis of these keywords to determine which ones are underperforming and can potentially bring you much more traffic. It's supposed to be a cost effective way to doing keyword based campaigns rather than using PPC campaigns like AdWords.

I haven't used the suggestions list much since I don't tend to revisit topics I write about very often and so far still haven't focused on any particular niche yet. I wrote another followup to my scam post before that started all this, so I have an opportunity now to put it to the test and use the keyphrase it suggested.

Old 27th September 2007, 08:26 AM   #9
Logan
Administrator

Here is another thread on hittail that goes into some further detail

http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/fo...ad.php?t=10330

Quote:

lol ... way to throw some fuel on the fire. I wouldn't be concerned with another site linking to you. Based on my experiences that is going to hurt you, may be filtered out to have a neutral impact, but also may help you.

In general, something some one else can do without your involvement isn't going to hurt your rankings as others would be able to sabotage things easily.

Old 27th September 2007, 10:02 AM   #10
Mike Levin

This is Mike Levin from HitTail. I'm happy to answer any specific questions.

Mike Levin is offline   Reply With Quote