Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > Direct Mail
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24th September 2010, 11:28 AM   #1
cheryllynn14

Default Instead Of Mailing Packets Of Coupons, Deliver Them In Welcome Bags

I got thinking, I received a packet of 30 coupons this month from one of the top bulk coupons mailers, ads for local businesses. I consider this junk mail, and most people throw the packet out. They charge each business bout $500 a month to reach 10,000 homes. They took in this month $15,000 minus expenses.
My thought is why not make it better, and deliver nice bags to say 2000 homes per month for 5 months, reaching the same amount of people for a cost of $95 a month, but spread it out. There is more chance that most people will look in the bag and see what there is, versus just throwing the same packet out that comes every month. What do you think, do you think I could convince businesses to advertise in my bag, (same cost per thousand but better return. Thanks.

cheryllynn14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 25th September 2010, 09:17 AM   #2
Slippery Slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryllynn14 View Post
I got thinking, I received a packet of 30 coupons this month from one of the top bulk coupons mailers, ads for local businesses. I consider this junk mail, and most people throw the packet out.
My thought is why not make it better, and deliver nice bags ... There is more chance that most people will look in the bag and see what there is, versus just throwing the same packet out that comes every month.
What makes you think once they look inside your "nice" bag that these coupons aren't making their way to the circular file as fast as the cellopack mailing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryllynn14 View Post
What do you think, do you think I could convince businesses to advertise in my bag, (same cost per thousand but better return.
Yes you can convince them, but what makes you think they're going to get a better return?

You also have a lot going against you. If it's the company I'm thinking of, they own their own high speed printing presses. You'll have to contract your printing out (at a higher cost). You also have the additional cost of "nice" bags (instead of cheap cellopacks), plus the cost of having someone going door-to-door hand delivering them instead of using the USPS for a high density saturation mailing.

I'd crunch the numbers first to see if it's going to be a worthwhile venture for you.

Slippery Slope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2010, 10:24 AM   #3
cheryllynn14

You're right - if it is coupns they may get tossed. But even a magazine type format in color would work better to deliver to homes versus people picking up something at a store or establishment. And putting these on the mailbox holder, or the second mailbox slot where newspapers go would be fast to deliver. I think homeowners would rather have "specials" in their town come directly to them, versus them going to the store and picking up the magazine. Much easier.

cheryllynn14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2010, 08:00 PM   #4
davidbkeegan

Have you researched the returns? How are you sure?

davidbkeegan is offline   Reply With Quote