Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > Direct Mail
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th July 2006, 08:00 AM   #1
M1ntie

Default Direct Mail for my new venture - advice needed

Hi, I am shortly to launch 3 new web sites in the uk.

findgreatpubs
findgreatrestaurants
findgreatservices

The sites will provide busineses with a 3 or 4 page "mini web site" that they can easily edit themselves. They will be able to upload images and text onto a pre-formatted template that will automatically re-size the image to avoid formatting problems.

The sites are intended to cover the whole of the UK and navigation will be via Counties/districts eg Berkshire/Reading - or Berkshire/Windsor etc broadly organised on Local Authority areas.

As with all new start ups I need to get some content in each area and one
of my marketing strategies will be direct mail, using A5 double sided mailing cards, targeted at specific business catagories. I intend the mail out to cover all UK Counties and offer the first 5 "mini sites" in each Local Authority area absolutely free for 6 months. For people that miss the free sites I intend to make a compelling offer - say 29.95 for a year - less than 9p per day.

My questions are these -

If I can devise a well designed mailer that is well targeted at small businesses, what level of response rate should I expect?

Given that direct mail response rates can be very low and so subject to statistical quirks, what size of initial mailing would be needed to test the response?

Any thoughts or advice would be welcome.

Regards Rob

M1ntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 26th July 2006, 02:59 AM   #2
evej13

Hi Rob,
The Direct Marketing Association (DMA) examined 19 direct marketing media and reported direct mail statistics in "The DMA 2005 Response Rate Report". In their summary of industry by media subsection, they report direct mail as the leading direct marketing medium. The overall average response was 2.77%.

DMA website: http://www.the-dma.org/research/

Good luck, and give me a shout if I can help.

Eve

evej13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2012, 06:00 AM   #3
samson smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by evej13 View Post
Hi Rob,
The Direct Marketing Association (DMA) examined 19 direct marketing media and reported direct mail statistics in "The DMA 2005 Response Rate Report". In their summary of industry by media subsection, they report direct mail as the leading direct marketing medium. The overall average response was 2.77%.

DMA website: http://www.the-dma.org/research/

Good luck, and give me a shout if I can help.

Eve
Useful information about the direct mail.......thanks for sharing with us.

Old 23rd March 2012, 01:14 PM   #4
printnstyle

Hi Rob, how have things been panning out for you? I know this post is old, so I was wondering… Does anyone know the current average response rate for direct mail?

printnstyle is offline   Reply With Quote