Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Inspiration & Ideas > What Type of Business Should I Start?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26th March 2007, 04:26 PM   #1
sdevine6910

Default Buying Websites Vs. Creating From Scratch

Has anyone bought an existing website an owner put up for sale? I'm creating a website and finding how much time and work this takes as opposed to just buying one. Any tips on buying? Also...I assume people are selling these sites because they're not "generating".

sdevine6910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 26th March 2007, 07:28 PM   #2
colemg01

I have no experience buying websites, but suspect they are like many start up businesses that when they are just ready to take off the owner is so warn out and discouraged that they end up selling them.

If you are smart about researching things I think you can get some really good buys on some existing sites with warn out owners.

But do A LOT of homework because there are more scam artists out there then good deals.

It takes tons of time and investment to lay the ground work for a good site if some one has already done that take advantage of it.

colemg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2007, 02:34 AM   #3
jillybeans

If you are having difficulty and a shortage of time in building your website, perhaps you need a better plan rather than to buy an existing site which might not reflect your values. Have you a life plan and business plan? Do you know that tasks you can handle? I chose to hire someone to build my site. . . the first company did a great job in some ways--good at starting but not good at completing and never got it done. The second company is getting it done in a timely fashion and ought to be up and running within days. It was a task I didn't feel qualified to do properly, so I delegated it.
Maybe you should do the same. I can't imagine buying someone else's site could be that smart of an idea. Wouldn't it always be "their site I took over?"
jillybeans

jillybeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2007, 01:15 PM   #4
tresmom6

In order to have a successful site you really need the time to commit to it. The sites that are successful aren't just thrown up and left. They are a continuous work in progress. I am afraid that you will be sadly disappointed if you try to just buy a site. Just my thoughts on it for what it's worth.

tresmom6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2007, 11:18 PM   #5
footscapes

You may want to consider a content management system. You can design the site to fit and be al yours, have the domain name you want to represent yourself and still have fairly quick set up compared to building from scratch.

footscapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2007, 05:00 PM   #6
sdevine6910

Thanks, everyone. Jillybean, what do you mean by Life plan? I have a business plan, but not sure what life plan means. Also, now that you're all my psychologists, I have to admit that this business is about making money for me. It's not something I love (like having a site on horses or baseball or something). This is a plan with a venture capitalist attached that could be lucrative, but not so fun. I'm not in "love" with it. Is it really so bad to do this for the money and not love?

sdevine6910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2007, 11:04 AM   #7
footscapes

Default $ vs love it

Is your site the biz or just a page or to ad for your biz? A place for people to read and learn about what you do? Or is it an online business?

If you have an online biz- if you do not really love what you are doing you may burn out really quickly. Starting a biz and all the on-line site creation and marketing can be slow and painful. This whole internet thing, articles to write, blog, SEO, PPC, site content, etc. I could have five other people working for me and still not have time for everthing. I would have quit a long time ago if I did not believe in my idea.

If on the other hand you have a business already and are just looking to throw up a site as an ad and a place to tell people about you and what you do, go for it. A couple of pages of info. is pretty quick and easy. Traffic would come from local clients checking out the biz prices, directions, services etc.

Correct me if I am wrong Jillybean!!
I would guess "life plan" Jillybeans is referring to is your goals for your life. Career(Passion, love it) or job(just earning cash and passing the time)? and what job or career will you someday retire from? How much time do you plan to spend on biz vs. family? What are your goals for one year, 5 years etc. Personal and professional and how they will mesh together.

Bottomline, if your not having fun, will you be happy? How long and how well can you do it?

footscapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2007, 03:39 PM   #8
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with being "in it for the money." Depends on how you organize your life and how you view your relationship to work.

For some people, their business is their life. They can't imagine doing something they're not passionate about. What they do for a living permeates every part of their life. For them to work at something they don't care about simply for the money is unimaginable.

For others, "work" is what you do to pay for your "life." If you can make enough money at this to support what you really love doing without spending 24/7 on running the business -- or spend a short time building a business to sell for enough profit to allow you the freedom to spend the rest of your life doing whatever you like -- then I don't see anything wrong with that.

The only thing is, more often than not, new businesses don't turn out to be wildly successful, and those that do succeed rarely do so overnight. Are you prepared in the event things take longer than you planned, or don't pan out at all?

If the new business doesn't turn out to be as lucrative as you'd hoped, or you find you can't sell it for enough of a profit to finance your dreams when the time comes, will you feel that you've been cheated, or that you've wasted a large portion of the prime of your life?

If the answer is "yes," or if setting up and running the business is going to take you away from the things you really love for a long, long time, then maybe you need to rethink the plan. But as long as you can stay realistic and keep an overall life balance, then I personally don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to be in it "for the Benjamin's" for the short term.

My

--Torka

Old 4th June 2007, 12:22 AM   #9
gaelriad

Hehe, I like what torka has to say. Certainly the thought of making money can be motivating enough.

Back to the website idea. I guess it's hard to know exactly how to answer your question without knowing what your business is, but here's what I think:

Learning to design a quality webpage is going to take a lot of time and effort, and after all that time (how much do you know about making webpages?) and effort, you're an expert at... making your webpage. Then you'll need more time and effort to learn about your business. If you have venture capital why not spend a few thousand and have a website custom built for you quickly and professionally?

Buying a preexisting site sounds like... investing in a different business, but I don't know what exactly you plan to do so it might work for you.

Hope this helps

gaelriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2007, 01:02 AM   #10
Crimson Fox

While buying an existing site might be a great idea if it fits nicely into a niché you have experience in…You'd be better off at least having a go at starting your own website from scratch for the learning experience.

You don't have to put much money into it. Just start a site, a site about anything, then spend some time playing with it from a marketing point of view. You will find that you'll learn a hell of a lot. Even just from your mistakes.

It's better to make these mistakes on something that you haven't invested much cash into rather than making them on a site you've payed a lot for.

You are still going to need these same site management skills before you go fulltime with it. So, basically unless you already have some skill at running a website I wouldn't recommend buying someone elses. Unless you are simply purchasing it and having someone else with experience manage.

Crimson Fox is offline   Reply With Quote