Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Copywriting
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th November 2012, 01:40 PM   #1
viper_one
VIP Contributor

Default Simple Content For The Web?

When writing for the web should I strive for simple, plain content that includes simple sentences and commas; could I do more and add semi-colons and punctuation beyond commas to make "my" works readable? I read some where that the former style was better for Internet material. Is this true?

Old 20th November 2012, 12:21 PM   #2
DeniseTaylor
VIP Contributor

My advice is to put your visitor first and write in a style that engages and pleases them. If your audience is young and hip, then your writing should be casual and probably more simple. If your audience is highly technical, then you would write in a tighter, more elevated style.

You want to gain credibility so what you do should be real and accepted by your target audience.

I've never heard of comma or semi colon use specifically, but I do know that if a site is dry, boring or flat, many visitors will leave because the content does not engage them.

Hopefully this information will help you sort out your question.

DeniseTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2013, 07:38 PM   #3
carpetnj
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper_one View Post
When writing for the web should I strive for simple, plain content that includes simple sentences and commas; could I do more and add semi-colons and punctuation beyond commas to make "my" works readable? I read some where that the former style was better for Internet material. Is this true?
That really depends on what type of business you have and who your intended audience is.

Old 25th February 2013, 07:57 AM   #4
nancy123

Default anything original

You should write for visitors, if you will keep this in mind, then I do not think there will be any problem writing content for your website. You consider yourself as a visitor and think whether this is good or bad. As far as you are writing original that is pleasant for the visitors, it's perfect.

nancy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2013, 12:14 PM   #5
carpetnj
VIP Contributor

Writing is to convay a message. Most people just want to get the information they need.

Most readers won't care about your writing style as long as you spell words correctly and are easy to understand.

Old 25th February 2013, 01:30 PM   #6
Pooper-Scooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseTaylor View Post
My advice is to put your visitor first and write in a style that engages and pleases them.
I agree with Denise on this one. It depends on what tone you are trying to establish and the audience you're writing for. I think the considerations of your subject matter, who your most likely readers are, and your personal writing style are all more important than whether the work is going to be read on the Internet or in print.

Pooper-Scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2013, 08:07 PM   #7
ScottDecker

Write for an audience that scans when they read.
-lists are great
-use multiple sub-headings
-add a few pics for eye-candy
-write 3 sentence paragraphs, tops
-line breaks between paragraphs
-call to action at the end of every article - what should the reader do next

Bottom line - your article needs to be conversational. Read it out loud before submitting the final copy. If you wouldn't say it like that, don't write it like that.

And include your personality - make it entertaining

P.S. I wouldn't use many semicolons or commas - dashes ("-") keep the reader scanning and not pausing for too long at any one point

Old 9th September 2013, 03:16 PM   #8
writerliz

I agree with Denise. You need to write to the audience. For example, if you are selling to technical people you need to be professional and avoid a lot of fluff. If you are writing to a consumer you will need to simplify your language, shorten your sentences, and think about embellishing a bit more. If you are writing to executives, you will need to lengthen your sentences and broaden your vocabulary to a professional level.

With regards to SEO, make sure to use keywords in your text but don't go overboard. It will backfire on you when it's crawled. Just focus on quality text that's clear and accurately describes your product or service.

writerliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2013, 06:39 AM   #9
Murray Cowell

Be natural, have a free writing flow and always say what you mean in your texts, without confusing people. I am telling you this because it's the same rules that apply in email marketing...

Best of luck!

Murray Cowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2013, 08:13 AM   #10
PatprecisionE
VIP Contributor

As tough as it may be, try to be objective about your work. Always ask yourself, would you want to read this if you didn't write it?

if the answer is yes, then you've done a good job creating content.

PatprecisionE is offline   Reply With Quote