Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > Trade Shows, Conferences & Expos
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd November 2006, 04:17 AM   #1
MoreMobile

Default Overcharged For Internet Access At Trade Shows?

What are some of the prices anyone is paying for Internet at Trade Shows?

Some conference centers charge hundreds of dollars for Internet Access at Trade Shows & Conferences. I have seen up to $800 for a 3 day event! Do Not pay these crazy prices. For about the same money, you could get a Mobile Broadband card that works everywhere, and/or a Mobile Router that allows 5+ computers to use one card. So, for the price of ONE show, you can pay for mobile access for a whole year...

See my links on great ways to save big on trade shows

MoreMobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 23rd November 2006, 07:38 AM   #2
pete
VIP Contributor

Actually, I've been to shows where each space come with FREE access. And I've been to some with maybe $ 20 or so to run a cable to your booth. This is from smaller local shows to extremely large national and international shows.

I've tried wireless myself in some venues and found very poor connections, I don't know if they purposefully try and block service, so you have to use theirs, or if it;s possibly the construction of the building. I do know that on a number of occasions I've been less than successful with wireless.

Part of the problems with show prices is that you are often dealing with unions at the venue. $ 25 for someone to plug in an extension cord is also pretty ridiculous, but it's the price you pay if you forget to take your own.

I'm not trying to knock you sales pitch. But, the fact is that everything connected with shows, particularly in metro areas where unions are involved, is way overpriced in the the sense of what you would pay elsewhere.

And there are reception problems in some locations. While mobile is great, and I use it whenever possible, sometimes you just can't connect.

pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2006, 12:13 PM   #3
MoreMobile

Default You are correct...

some shows are free, no question. But it is also true many venues severely over-charge for access, and many other services as well. Other, smaller venues may not even offer internet access as an option, so a Broadband card can cover all those scenarios. This option just give s you a way to control your destiny and not be held hostage by the events....and, for the same cost (if you do multiple shows) you then get basically free mobile internet for the other 355 days a year....

MoreMobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010, 01:58 PM   #4
davidm4210

Good advice. I use a broadband card for my home office and it works very well. The only issue is I typically gover over the data usage. But I have never had a problem getting a signal at a trade show.

davidm4210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 02:42 AM   #5
ExpoGlobal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMobile View Post
What are some of the prices anyone is paying for Internet at Trade Shows?

Some conference centers charge hundreds of dollars for Internet Access at Trade Shows & Conferences. I have seen up to $800 for a 3 day event! Do Not pay these crazy prices. For about the same money, you could get a Mobile Broadband card that works everywhere, and/or a Mobile Router that allows 5+ computers to use one card. So, for the price of ONE show, you can pay for mobile access for a whole year...

See my links on great ways to save big on trade shows
Wow, that is indeed crazy!! what are some of these people thinking?

ExpoGlobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2011, 09:40 PM   #6
daveb1
VIP Contributor

lol yeah. get a virgin mobile aircard. its good . do not get cricket tho. they lag and limit your bandwidth a lot after a certain amount is passed

daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote