Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th October 2009, 12:14 PM   #1
firecrackerpr

Default What To Do With Keyword-rich URLs?

I have a website that's been around for 4 years now and is more or less optimized.

I have purchased some URLs that have some of my target keywords in the URL itself.

Which of the below options are the best for SEO rankings for my original 4 year old site:

1. Do a 301 redirect of these new URLs to the original site.

2. Build the new URLs as destination sites with multiple links with anchor text to the original site.

3. Any other options?

Thanks!

firecrackerpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 10th October 2009, 09:02 PM   #2
cpace

Personally, I would (and have) build up those sites for themselves. Link to your main site on them, but have the same contact info, etc. Depending on what kind of site you have, this may or may not be practical. For instance, if your main site is a web article site, this isn't going to work. However, if you make money through services, it would work nicely.

cpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 03:49 PM   #3
royhunters

I agree with cpace, if you did not do your development originally on those keyword domains, use them to host content and have your header and footer links point to your old site. Very effective and works well. I think I have about 20 pages doing this for me... rather than parking domains to earn ad money, while I wait to sell them I use them to point to my company site as well as "age" the older they are, the more they are worth.

royhunters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2009, 03:45 AM   #4
firecrackerpr

Thank you guys for your input!

firecrackerpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2009, 08:45 AM   #5
annalaurabrown

another idea, create a squidoo lens or hubpage for the keywords if they are available and then forward the domain to them.

annalaurabrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2009, 03:28 AM   #6
janicejan

the question is, are those two sites are on the same niche, if its not then placing a link on those sites isn't helpful at all so it will be much better if you want the traffic to directly be on your new site then it will be much better to create a 301 redirect to your new site.

janicejan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2009, 06:58 PM   #7
roni

Quote:
Originally Posted by annalaurabrown View Post
another idea, create a squidoo lens or hubpage for the keywords if they are available and then forward the domain to them.
i definitely agree...!

roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2009, 02:38 PM   #8
vivianrollins

301s will preserve link juice

vivianrollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2009, 04:13 AM   #9
faizanali0

Well if those all sites are on different ip address, Then i would Love to build up them to promote my original site, Redirecting Every Site to your original site is not Good Idea, yeah one or two sites are ok, but if you have more then three then build them and try to promote your original site from them content

faizanali0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2009, 03:45 AM   #10
AirForce1

Send a message via MSN to AirForce1

I think if you have many websites by yourself. You could perform a technique called LinkWheel for SEO purposes.

AirForce1 is offline   Reply With Quote