Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > General Offline Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd February 2008, 06:40 PM   #1
all4

Default The Price Game

Now I see the number games goin on prices. I sell alot on the internet, and we all need lots of sales. But if I sell something for 10.00, would it sell faster at 9.99, or 9.20. I just wanted to see if people look for numbers that make them think, its not that much and buy it. I was thinking there is number games to selling products, anyone know the tips?

all4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 22nd February 2008, 07:27 PM   #2
JackieHFS

Default Pricing

Many years ago in my Marketing class, (and we are going back some) we were told if you price items with change on them (like 15.50 to $15.25) many people say it cost me $15. Some strategy even said you could go up into the .90 plus range and people tended to round it down in there mind. I am not 100% sure I believe in that since I tend to round up if it is .50 or more but that was what I remember from the pricing lessons.

Hope this helped.

Thanks
Jackie

JackieHFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 10:40 PM   #3
PressureProsInc
VIP Contributor

Its always better to be under a dollar amount. Jackie nailed it. Also the use of oddball numbers are more attractive and believable to the customer. For example $9.83

PressureProsInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2008, 07:07 PM   #4
all4

Ya i do most of my stuff like with .22 just because that is my fav number, and was just thinking i might be losing sales because of it. But thanks for the reply!

all4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2008, 08:44 AM   #5
JackieHFS

Default 22 Cents

I enjoyed your reply regardig the 22 cents. 22 is my favorite number as well. Not sure how competitive your market is on the items your are selling but I would tend to move my price on the other side of 50 cents. But again, know who else it out there selling similar products and the cost they charge. How about 9.52 - upside down and backwards the 5 will look like a 2.

Best of luck to you.

Jackie

JackieHFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2008, 05:33 PM   #6
MYSB Editor

Interesting topic. I used to believe that $9.99 was psychologically better than $10. Let's face it. A lot of business did (and still do) it. But I think consumers are more savvy now and $9.99 is just $10 to them. I know I always round up when I look at a price, especially if it's just a freaking penny (or even when it's less than a dollar).

We offer our major product, an online membership subscription small business marketing e-zine, for $249 a year. So we round one DOLLAR down ($249 instead of $250) but I don't think it fools anyone.

MYSB Editor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2008, 08:01 PM   #7
FHI Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYSB Editor View Post
Interesting topic. I used to believe that $9.99 was psychologically better than $10. Let's face it. A lot of business did (and still do) it. But I think consumers are more savvy now and $9.99 is just $10 to them. I know I always round up when I look at a price, especially if it's just a freaking penny (or even when it's less than a dollar).

We offer our major product, an online membership subscription small business marketing e-zine, for $249 a year. So we round one DOLLAR down ($249 instead of $250) but I don't think it fools anyone.
There must be some sort of rounding as the numbers go higher. $249 is $250 in my book, a $37,248.99 truck is $38,000, and a $942,333.00 house is a million dollar house!

On the other side of this discussion there is the implied discount. Would you rather buy a item with a $65.00 value for $12.00 or the $9.99 without any discount? Most people that I know buy "on sale" or "discounted" items not knowing that the "sale" or "discount" is fake. A good example are .info's, regular price $7.99 or $9.99 on sale for $2.99---everywhere they sell them. This really makes the $2.99 the going rate and takes away from the implied discount.

Last edited by FHI Windows; 25th February 2008 at 08:07 PM.
FHI Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2008, 09:59 AM   #8
ericajones80

.99 is very "retail". There are many customers out there that perceive "$5.28" as some kind of a bulk deal...the odd numbers are believable.

ericajones80 is offline   Reply With Quote