Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Copywriting
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th August 2008, 02:39 PM   #1
ktaylor310
VIP Contributor

Default Need A Jump Start

I am a believer that press releases, digg, etc., can help boost ranking (even if short term) and attract more industry-related traffic. Here's my ongoing dilemma...

One of my clients is in a very competitive industry, selling credit card machines & merchant accounts (link removed in accordance with Forum Rules). To increase traffic, we began to focus on markets within our market via new content & press releases -and have since ranked very well on keyphrases wherein "credit card machine" is used in conjunction with "small business, craft shows, franchises, home business" etc.

BUT... his main keywords are "credit card machine" plural & singular. We do ok - usually between 6 & 9 on the first page of Google (we are number 1 for "free credit card machine") but we would definitely like to do better. I would like to promote the general terms more via press release but I am flat out of ideas. What else can you say about "credit card machines"?

Can you help me get jump started? Throw me a couple good opening lines/ideas or pointers on how to get the creative juices flowing? Maybe an incredible, edible header!

You guys are great!

Last edited by ktaylor310; 20th August 2008 at 02:41 PM.
ktaylor310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 20th August 2008, 02:56 PM   #2
copywriter

You always need to keep news releases newsworthy to get best results. In their most basic form, press releases are announcements about something that has happened within your business. With that in mind, think in terms of things you can announce:

New type of credit card machine
New function for old credit card machines
New access - WiFi, mobile-based, etc.
New services available for current credit card machine users
Changes in merchant account terms (for your company or in general)

Research is also big when it comes to PR. Survey this company's merchants and publish the results. You might do:

Top 10 Uses for Wireless Credit Card Machines
58.6% of CCM Users Prefer [Whatever]

Etc., etc.

Hope it helps!

Old 20th August 2008, 06:41 PM   #3
ktaylor310
VIP Contributor

Yes, that does help! Thank you so much for the ideas and I will definitely head down that road. Sorry about the link... most the time viewers ask for it so they can look at the site referenced. Didn't mean to break the rules

Old 7th November 2008, 05:39 AM   #4
Tom Lindstrom
VIP Contributor

Is the traffic that comes from social sites like Digg targeted? I would concentrate on getting targeted traffic from the search engines by posting articles (newsreleases) on a blog.

Tom Lindstrom is offline   Reply With Quote