Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th April 2009, 07:09 AM   #1
vusal.zeynalov

Default Is There Any Penalties To Have Links From Same Ip Or Website?

Hi everybody, and thanks for your efforts to answer it.

I want to ask, is there any penalties having inbound links from same ip or website. For example New York Times has featured me 100 times in its articles. Or I have 1000 links from deviantart.com profile pages, can i be penalized?

I read in some articles that it can be spammy having a lot of links from same website and SEs can penalize the linked site. Is it true?

--Vusal

vusal.zeynalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 5th April 2009, 11:15 AM   #2
Logan
Administrator

Quote:
For example New York Times has featured me 100 times in its articles.
No issue there

Quote:
Or I have 1000 links from deviantart.com profile pages, can i be penalized?
Typically the answer is no.

If you are concerned about being penalized, then review the search engine's guidelines.

http://www.google.com/support/webmas...y?answer=35769
http://search.msn.com/docs/siteowner...mizingSite.htm
http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/ysearc...basics-18.html

If you follow the guidelines, you typically will not have an issue. That's pretty easy.

Back to your linking scenarios. A few thing you need to understand, to set your concerns aside, is that while some links may not result in the site being penalized ... one scenario is that they just won't help. Another scenario is that they will help your rankings. And the last alternative is that you will be penalized. A couple more things to consider. As a rule of thumb, penalties like you are concerned about only occur if it is something done by the website owner (or people responsible for it). If it is something anyone on the internet could do to your site, such as 1000 links from profile pages, then someone could just change the link to someone's site they wanted to harm. So hard penalties are correlated to website owners actions, not actions of anyone could do it sort of stuff. Remember, just because it does not penalize a site doesn't mean it provides help/benefits though.

Quote:
I read in some articles that it can be spammy having a lot of links from same website and SEs can penalize the linked site. Is it true?
I could spend tomorrow doing that to any site on the internet. Do you think Google or anyone would all of a sudden start dropping sites completely in that situation?

A caveat, a google employee can quality check your site individually. So keep things clean, and follow the guidelines.

Quote:
If you still have the articles, can you provide link(s) to? I'd be interested in reading. If you follow guidelines, nothing to be concerned about imo. spammy? ~ yes if you purchased links or did something else against their guidelines.

See this thread for a compilation thread on link development here

Old 5th April 2009, 12:33 PM   #3
vusal.zeynalov

Hey Logan,

Thanks for your response.

I read it from different places such as this this and this, and in SEOmoz's Q&A section.

In forum discussions, above I linked, some people say that , yes Google penalize this sites who have many links from one ip or website. Even you can be penalized if your sites are in same server with same ip and cross-linked.

I am going to build some sites and cross link them, naturally, because of it I asked this question.

But in my opinion, you are true, and these types of penalties just can't be.

Thanks.

-- Vusal.

Old 6th April 2009, 01:17 AM   #4
acwebguru
VIP Contributor

Not at all. You are getting inbound links from some of the reputed websites and this is not a black hat seo technique at all. However, you must not spam any website for this purpose.

acwebguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2009, 09:27 AM   #5
Jack16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
No issue there

Typically the answer is no.

If you are concerned about being penalized, then review the search engine's guidelines.

http://www.google.com/support/webmas...y?answer=35769
http://search.msn.com/docs/siteowner...mizingSite.htm
http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/ysearc...basics-18.html

If you follow the guidelines, you typically will not have an issue. That's pretty easy.

Back to your linking scenarios. A few thing you need to understand, to set your concerns aside, is that while some links may not result in the site being penalized ... one scenario is that they just won't help. Another scenario is that they will help your rankings. And the last alternative is that you will be penalized. A couple more things to consider. As a rule of thumb, penalties like you are concerned about only occur if it is something done by the website owner (or people responsible for it). If it is something anyone on the internet could do to your site, such as 1000 links from profile pages, then someone could just change the link to someone's site they wanted to harm. So hard penalties are correlated to website owners actions, not actions of anyone could do it sort of stuff. Remember, just because it does not penalize a site doesn't mean it provides help/benefits though.

I could spend tomorrow doing that to any site on the internet. Do you think Google or anyone would all of a sudden start dropping sites completely in that situation?

A caveat, a google employee can quality check your site individually. So keep things clean, and follow the guidelines.

If you still have the articles, can you provide link(s) to? I'd be interested in reading. If you follow guidelines, nothing to be concerned about imo. spammy? ~ yes if you purchased links or did something else against their guidelines.

See this thread for a compilation thread on link development
Thanks logan,

Nice information..

Old 6th April 2009, 10:44 AM   #6
vusal.zeynalov

Hi Logan,

(Yesterday I have sent my answer post here, but it didnt appeared, anyway.)

I also think that this mustnt be a problem, but reading some discussion here , here, here, and in SEOmoz Q&A section confused me a little bit.

Thanks.

-- Vusal

Old 6th April 2009, 04:30 PM   #7
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

It pays to look at the date of things you read online, as stuff can change (rapidly) on the Internet.

The dates of the three discussion threads you posted were from 2004, 2005 and 2006. (There are over 3,000 Q&As in the SEO Moz Q&A section, and I wasn't sure which one(s) you were referring to there.) That's a long time ago in terms of "Internet Years."

You will occasionally come across information -- such as in those threads -- that claims if you get "too many" links coming from the same "Class C" IP address you'll get penalized. This information is outdated.

(Actually, I believe classless routing was implemented sometime around 1993, so the information in those threads was already outdated when it was published.)

The Internet now uses something called "classless inter-domain routing". Whenever you hear somebody talking about how you need to have links from sites on different Class C blocks, you can safely ignore them. That isn't how the Internet works nowadays. (Well, technically it hasn't worked that way for about 16 years, but who's counting...)

SEs are not lurking around every corner, waiting to pounce on unwary webmasters and impose penalties for innocent actions -- or worse yet, for the actions of others (such as people who choose to link to you). There are far fewer penalties handed out than many webmasters seem to think, and it's a lot harder to get penalized than many of the "Chicken Little" sky-is-falling types on some forums claim.

If you're doing something nefarious or deceptive to try to fool the SEs, then you might have something to worry about. But getting legitimate inbound links from valuable and respected websites is neither nefarious nor deceptive.

My

--Torka

Old 6th April 2009, 05:56 PM   #8
vusal.zeynalov

Hi Torka,

Thank you for your great answer.

I asked this question because somehow when I surfed SEOmoz's Q&A section saw the question about it and wondered a little bit. (now i couldnt find it, SEOmoz's search algorithm doesnt work good). After that I have searched the web and found some articles and discussions about it.

Actually I have many designer friends, they all have pages in Behance.net and Deviantart.com , with high pageranks, and i was planning to build links from their profile pages. () That is why I asked this question.

Thanks,

--Vusal

Last edited by vusal.zeynalov; 6th April 2009 at 05:58 PM.
Old 27th April 2009, 03:07 AM   #9
pooja84

No, there is no such penalty but according to me, there is no use of having inbound links from same IP. Its a waste.

pooja84 is offline   Reply With Quote