Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Inspiration & Ideas > What Type of Business Should I Start?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th October 2014, 02:39 PM   #11
satya.kottu

Default online grocery shop

Hi Mr. Lawrence Thomas,
Your idea is very good and I am too late to read this post. I think you have started the online grocery business. I am also getting same ideas with less basic cost. Please let me know your present status.
Regards
K.S
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrencethomas3 View Post
Greetings, all.

I have been mulling an idea around in my head for awhile and I thought that I should finally get some real input and/or suggestions from some business minded people... and this seems like a good place.

A bit of background: I have worked in a local grocery store for about 3 years total, most of that time during the later years of my college education. Long story short, the store was recently sold by the owner and I am now compelled to move on. I was a mere stocking/carryout so I have a good overview of the grocery business, but none of the specifics.

Now, my idea was to open a Online Grocery Store to serve the greater NorthDakota area. A online store where people could order foods (including dairy, meats, produce) and have them delivered to their houses.

My first thought was to have it located near the center of the state so we could cover the most area. A delivery schedule came to mind, taking the form of: Minot and surrounding area deliveries on Monday, Bismarck and surrounding area deliveries on Tuesday, Dickinson Area Wednesday, Jamestown area Thursdays, and some other area Fridays. This way, orders could be stockpiled and delivered in an efficient manner. By charging a $5 flat fee for shipping, we could essentially off-set any fuel costs with 15 or so orders on any given day.

As for structure, I worked at a SuperValu store in a small town and considered that being supplied by them would be a good route to go. Anyone have any insight on this? I have the potential to learn more about SuperValu markup by getting ahold of my former boss, but I'd rather not do that until I am a bit more researched in this idea.

I figure the major needed structure to a business like this would be: A professional website (hopefully with some sort of bar-code scanning support and inventory tracking --- A storage warehouse (including shelving/Freezer/Cooler) with attached office space --- Delivery truck, perhaps the size of a U-Haul along with stackable boxes to transport deliveries in.

I figure 3 employees are more than adequate, 2 to go on deliveries in the morning and one to come in and prepare deliveries for the following day and answer phones. To avoid monotony, these 3 could freely switch duties as needed. Also, perhaps a part-timer to fill in on sick/vacation days.

Sorry I'm just kind of writing these ideas as I remember them. The basic idea is that without the sales floor overhead and everything that goes with that (including the dozen or so employees needed to efficiently run and maintain an open store)... there would be a sufficient room to cut prices enough persuade people to order their groceries online and have them delivered. As ND is a largely rural state with many small towns, I figure that there may be enough untapped potential for something like this to work.

Well this is just a rough overview, but I would definitely like some feedback and suggestions.

satya.kottu is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 21st October 2014, 03:29 AM   #12
arunthomas203

Just sharing 2 successful online grocery shops at our place (cochin, India).

http://www.tendermango.com/
http://www.palacharakku.com/order.php

Cheers
Arun

arunthomas203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2014, 01:55 PM   #13
satya.kottu

Thank you Mr. Arun

satya.kottu is offline   Reply With Quote