Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > Reviews
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 4th January 2010, 12:39 AM   #11
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

Lou,
I have to tell you that your story matches a lot of what we hear every day. Company owners set up websites without a lot of help or guidance. Also, don't worry about screaming back.. although I can only speak for myself, I have heard a lot and probably for pretty much the same reason you say. But on the other hand, I only offer what works. That is, what I use, tried and tested.

If you are serious about your website, you MUST understand that it's an integral part of your marketing plan. What's your marketing?? In short, marketing is about getting people to WANT what you have to sell. You can run around all day (like a fox chasing a rabbit) and eat sometimes.. and sometimes go hungry. On the other hand, have you ever watched a Spider? They sit there... the fly flies around.. but sooner or later.. the spider eats. They don't go hungry.

Your website has to work like that spider. Cast the net... make it clear. And then EDUCATE your visitor about why you're the best. Logan also had good ideas about pictures of your truck, etc. to prove you're established. What about Warranty? What about How Long you've been in business?? These are also factors that can help make up a person's mind.

There are also several other issues with respect to headlines and content that should compel the visitor to contact you or at least sign up to your newsletter. That's when you really start to kick in and develop relationships with your prospects and customers.

How many customers do you have now?? Do you realize that it costs about 8 times more to get NEW customers than to sell to your existing ones?? Really! And I promise you that you will never ever make an easier sale to anyone than you will to an existing customer. They aready know you. They trust your work and know your price is good value (notice I didn't say the cheapest... I said GOOD VALUE!)

Look, there's lots and lots that should be done. I would be willing to help you wherever I can. I am not using this board to solicit business... so you're not going to get a pitch. If you want to contact me, drop me a message on the board (through the message system direct to me) and I will be pleased to try and understand what your goals are ... and how I may be able to help. Even if I can only offer you resources that take you up the right road, I would be pleased.

Good luck! Let me know!

BeTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 4th January 2010, 02:51 AM   #12
Lou

Company owners set up websites without a lot of help or guidance. I didn't set it up only guided the one that as to design and function, the end product I liked better than this (go into that some other time)

If you are serious about your website,

Logan also had good ideas about pictures of your truck, etc. to prove you're established. That will wait till I get vinyl wraps What about Warranty? Never had a fire!! Before & after pics bonded 2mil insurance. What about How Long you've been in business?? LLC formed 3yrs ago
How many customers do you have now?? Couple hundred locations is what I currently service

Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2010, 11:10 AM   #13
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

Lou,
Not trying to be smart, and I honestly didn't look. But does your website SAY that you're bonded, in business 3 yrs, etx. Cause I don't remember seeing it when I took a look, and I don't have time to do it now.

Also.. what unique about your service? That's what would be called the USP or unique selling proposition. Why you instead of your competition??

Old 4th January 2010, 04:11 PM   #14
Lou

Your right it's not there. When website was first developed only carried 1mil insurance ad wasn't bonded. And was an llc for a few weeks. When the anniversary came up for the business my web guy said it would cost $400 to make the change on my website.

But up until about 6 months ago news and such was placed in the comments area of the photo gallery (use to be plogger) I really liked it. Wasn't able to put "watermark" on all the images since my web guy charged $5 per image The average system when done will have around 30 accompanying images A location could have 1-5 or more systems in it. So you can see how I end up with a lot of pictures.

You talk as if I have the ability to change any of this.

You see the signature I got? Creating that just about max's out design ability.
Hell the area right below the signature bow that explains what codes your allowed or not allowed to use such as HTML, BB think there was another one. Well point is I don't know what that is.

I can barely navigate walmart.com

Last edited by Lou; 4th January 2010 at 04:13 PM.
Old 4th January 2010, 04:36 PM   #15
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

Quote:
You talk as if I have the ability to change any of this.
Work with clients every day to better their website and get their message across in what we call 'The 1 Second Rule'. When a visitor gets to your website, we want them to know your business within ONE second. Then we have to captrure their attention.

So the short answer is yes, I can help you, but I am NOT going to get dinged for doing business on this forum. If you want my input, log in, click on my board name and select 'Send a private Message'. Include your phone number and we can talk. That is... if you want the help.

Old 4th January 2010, 05:04 PM   #16
Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeTheBest View Post
If you want my input, log in, click on my board name and select 'Send a private Message'. Include your phone number and we can talk. That is... if you want the help.
Ummm tried that private message wasn't an option presented to me. It only offered "view public profile" (couldn't find way to PM from there either) the other thing I was offered was "find more post".

Old 4th January 2010, 05:07 PM   #17
Logan
Administrator

Hmm, not sure why that is yet. But for now, can you click on this link and private message BeTheBest.

http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/fo...=newpm&u=33925

Old 4th January 2010, 05:33 PM   #18
Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Hmm, not sure why that is yet. But for now, can you click on this link and private message BeTheBest.

http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/fo...=newpm&u=33925
In the words of my 14yr old daughter FAIL!

this is what I get

Quote:
Lou, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Old 4th January 2010, 05:38 PM   #19
Logan
Administrator

Eeks, I have a 16 year old daughter so I know those words too well. Actually just got an A+ early today, but that was something else.

Hmm, I am a product of the 80s. Try again, and let me know how I did this time

Old 4th January 2010, 05:57 PM   #20
Lou

Yep it worked that time.

Thanks Logan